Author Topic: SPII turn signals mounted on LeMans 1000  (Read 468 times)

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
SPII turn signals mounted on LeMans 1000
« on: May 16, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »
I have recently replaced a rear turn signal on my LeMans 1000. Rick asked me to describe it so I'll post some info here.

The Readers Digest Version:

I started with the rear signal for an SPII https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3249 and used only the actual lamp assy, made a plastic sleeve to fit the SPII lamp 14mm hole onto the 10mm LeMans mount.

The Tolstoy Version.

I ordered the above mentioned lamp to fix the cracked unit on the back of my 85 LeMans 1000. The difference is that the LeMans signal is on a rubber stalk, the SPII is a rigid mount. I did not want to use a rigid mount because a tipover would probably lead to a broken fender on the bike and also the possibility that vibration would crack the fender over time. There are some prerequisites to this repair. The existing stalk must be in good shape and the tabs of the original mount must be intact enough to hold the new signal housing.
Here's a camparison of the two, SPII on the right LeMans on the left.

As you can see the mounting hole is 14mm.

Fitting the SPII lamp was a breeze. Since it has a larger mount all that was needed was a sleeve that could fit over the stalk and inside the lamp. The stalk is 10mm diameter on the LeMans. The hole in the lamp is 14mm. We need a plastic sleeve that has a thickness of half the difference, 2mm. I used a plastic bushing left over from a set of shock units. I found one the right thickness and close to the diameter needed. It is Delrin or similar plastic. I'm sure a good hardware store would have something like this.

In this case my sleeve was larger than 14mm but that is ok because we need to cut a slot in it anyway so we can size it down. I cut the sleeve through lengthwise with a utility knife and kept trimming it until it fit in the signal housing with a gap wide enough for the set screw to reach the stalk.

Here's a look at the sleeve in place in the new signal.

The screw touching on the stalk is what holds the whole thing in place as well as provides the ground for the light. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!
This is the finished unit ready to mount.

It worked as well as it could given the design!  :grin:

Why bother? The replacement assembly for this LeMans is about 83 bucks! The SPII unit is less than 30. That's a huge difference for a little effort to mount it.

Hunter

There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: SPII turn signals mounted on LeMans 1000
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »
Excellent tutorial,and photos, Hunter! Thats a very clever idea. Thanks for sharing that information.   :thumb:
Rick.     
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:27:11 PM »
Hey Hunter, just verifying...To do what yu did with the turn signals, require one to have a pair of the original "LeMans"  flexible rubber mounting stalks, correct?
thanks
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 08:08:26 AM »
Hey Hunter, just verifying...To do what yu did with the turn signals, require one to have a pair of the original "LeMans"  flexible rubber mounting stalks, correct?
thanks
Rick.

Yes, I mounted the new lamp assy to the original stalk.
You could mount the whole SPII assy on the LeMans. You would just have rigid stalks instead of rubber.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:10:05 AM by Idontwantapickle »
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 08:08:26 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here