Author Topic: "Absolute Pressure Sensor"  (Read 426 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
"Absolute Pressure Sensor"
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »
...anybody know how to test one? If it has failed would it cause very rich condition/poor running? Plugs heavily sooted up. Bike is a '96 California 1100I
Thanks,
ronkom
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "Absolute Pressure Sensor"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »
Does it have three wires? If so I would assume one is supply voltage, likely some fixed voltage like 5v from the computer, one would be ground, and the third one is a voltage proportional to pressure or vacuum. It must have a small port open to atmosphere. If you can plug a rubber/plastic tube on the port and apply pressure with a syringe or even your mouth and monitor the signal you should see the voltage change. If no change then its broken.
Then again it coukd be some other design????

Pete

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 03:35:36 PM »
It's designed to reduce fuel at high altitudes.  I believe it is a switch, i.e. it's active or not, no gradual influence.

I'd be checking the TPS voltages, and the air temperature sensor.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »
From the manual for the P8. You can measure the voltage. It varies with pressure.

GuzziDiag makes the job easier.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »
 An absolute pressure sensor is otherwise known a MAP sensor. A bad one could give too rich or too lean running, depending on how it failed. 

This is general info, as I haven't worked on that model of bike:
There should be a tube going from the sensor to the engine. It could be disconnected or damaged, causing symptoms of a bad sensor. To check the sensor, measure voltages at the three pins. One should be +5v, the other 0v, and the sensor output will vary with vacuum. Measure the sensor output while revving the engine. When you gas it, initially the voltage reading will go one way, when you release the throttle, the voltage will go the other way.  If you see no voltage change at all --> sensor is bad. (or tube is disconnected or holed.)

beetle

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 04:48:15 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

What berniebee said. But I would use GuzziDiag. It should read a change in manifold pressure with a change in revs.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here