Author Topic: NGC Which Cruiser?  (Read 6216 times)

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
NGC Which Cruiser?
« on: April 13, 2021, 08:33:03 AM »
Ok so I’m a bit fickle in buying bikes, just ask Enzo.  :embarrassed:
Anyway, I've been looking at 2 cruisers lately, specifically the;

* 2010+ Triumph Thunderbird, the 1700
* 2009 Yamaha VStar 1300

Now I have owned and ridden many Guzzi’s including the 1400 and I’m just not a Harley guy, sorry KevM.  :wink:
So, what comments, real world experiences etc. does the brain trust here have?

Thanks mates,
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC Which Cruiser?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 08:47:38 AM »
For a straight cruiser, even though you said HD is out, you are doing yourself an injustice not to at the least give them a look see. They are plentiful and under market value, at least in my area.
I’ve owned a 1400 Guzzi and they are great cruiser position bikes. However I had an ongoing issue with my 2015 tourer and it had to go.
I had a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 which proved itself to be a great cruiser/tourer. It was bulletproof!
All of your metrics make a solid cruiser style motorcycle.
You ask for opinions so here’s mine, good luck in your search efforts. The only advice I would give it when you buy try and not be over the recoup value when you purchase 👍

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:49:28 AM »
As an alternative, I present to you..."Moby Dick", aka "The Great White Whale" - 2014 Victory Vision Tour :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh: :thumb: :bow: :boozing: :cool: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
For a straight cruiser, even though you said HD is out, you are doing yourself an injustice not to at the least give them a look see. They are plentiful and under market value, at least in my area.
I’ve owned a 1400 Guzzi and they are great cruiser position bikes. However I had an ongoing issue with my 2015 tourer and it had to go.
I had a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 which proved itself to be a great cruiser/tourer. It was bulletproof!
All of your metrics make a solid cruiser style motorcycle.
You ask for opinions so here’s mine, good luck in your search efforts. The only advice I would give it when you buy try and not be over the recoup value when you purchase 👍
Thanks NcDan
inditx

This is the day.....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:55:30 AM »
As an alternative, I present to you..."Moby Dick", aka "The Great White Whale" - 2014 Victory Vision Tour :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh: :thumb: :bow: :boozing: :cool: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hey JJ
Victory makes great bikes but that one is HUGE!
I would need another garage lol
Thanks
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »

* 2010+ Triumph Thunderbird, the 1700
* 2009 Yamaha VStar 1300

Guzzi’s including the 1400
Thanks mates,
inditx

All three are excellent bikes.  I am partial to the Yamaha due to a certain feeling they impart regarding styling.  That said I currently own a California 1400 which has pleasantly surprised me constantly.

Someone mentioned a Victory Vision and lots of people will mock them; mostly those who have never ridden one.  The Vision is a superb bike and one of the most comfortable I have ridden.  It has great weather protection, is very reliable and comfortable.  If long distance riding is your thing it would be a great choice.

To add to your list you might also want to look at the Yamaha Road Star and Yamaha Roadliner.  Larger V-Twins than the V-Star and more developed design wise.  I have also owned a 2000 Road Star (carb version) and it is just a solid bike, fun bike.
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:06:00 AM »
So I wasn't going to reply because I don't know either of those bikes well enough and you already said no Harley.

But here's how I would go about considering them both:

* FIRST - plain and simple - find and ride them see which one fits best. The aftermarket is smaller for both and you don't have nearly the options to make it fit better that you do on Harleys. Both sound pretty big and I might lean toward the Vstar just because it's less "excessive" in engine size (but I don't know actual mass of both so that is probably more important).

* NEXT - find out about maintenance. Valve adjustments or hydro? (I'd go hydro unless the adjustments are easy). Belt/shaft/Chain? Some of the Yamaha cruisers had stupid design issues, like exhausts in the way of the oil filter so you'd have to remove part of the exhaust to change the oil. Hopefully that's a thing of the past on these.

* DEALER SUPPORT - what's it like in your area (if you care about it).

* AFTERMARKET SUPPORT - see first step. Can you get any things you might want for it?

* Finally check Brand/Model forums to see if there are any weird things that might exclude one or the other for you. Though I suspect both brands to be pretty reliable you never know if there is some maddening quirk or failure on one that might be a deal breaker.

Honestly Just hearing the names I think I'd lean towards the Triumph because it would be more euro-cool in my mind, but as soon as I say that I start thinking "why so big, why not a Bonnie variant then - like the Triumph America or even the damn Bobber which is a really cool bike"

So that's my best attempt to be helpful. Have fun and be sure to share what you decide to educate us all!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
All three are excellent bikes.  I am partial to the Yamaha due to a certain feeling they impart regarding styling.  That said I currently own a California 1400 which has pleasantly surprised me constantly.

Someone mentioned a Victory Vision and lots of people will mock them; mostly those who have never ridden one.  The Vision is a superb bike and one of the most comfortable I have ridden.  It has great weather protection, is very reliable and comfortable.  If long distance riding is your thing it would be a great choice.

To add to your list you might also want to look at the Yamaha Road Star and Yamaha Roadliner.  Larger V-Twins than the V-Star and more developed design wise.  I have also owned a 2000 Road Star (carb version) and it is just a solid bike, fun bike.
:thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »
So I wasn't going to reply because I don't know either of those bikes well enough and you already said no Harley.

But here's how I would go about considering them both:

* FIRST - plain and simple - find and ride them see which one fits best. The aftermarket is smaller for both and you don't have nearly the options to make it fit better that you do on Harleys. Both sound pretty big and I might lean toward the Vstar just because it's less "excessive" in engine size (but I don't know actual mass of both so that is probably more important).

* NEXT - find out about maintenance. Valve adjustments or hydro? (I'd go hydro unless the adjustments are easy). Belt/shaft/Chain? Some of the Yamaha cruisers had stupid design issues, like exhausts in the way of the oil filter so you'd have to remove part of the exhaust to change the oil. Hopefully that's a thing of the past on these.

* DEALER SUPPORT - what's it like in your area (if you care about it).

* AFTERMARKET SUPPORT - see first step. Can you get any things you might want for it?

* Finally check Brand/Model forums to see if there are any weird things that might exclude one or the other for you. Though I suspect both brands to be pretty reliable you never know if there is some maddening quirk or failure on one that might be a deal breaker.

Honestly Just hearing the names I think I'd lean towards the Triumph because it would be more euro-cool in my mind, but as soon as I say that I start thinking "why so big, why not a Bonnie variant then - like the Triumph America or even the damn Bobber which is a really cool bike"

So that's my best attempt to be helpful. Have fun and be sure to share what you decide to educate us all!

Thanks KevM, as always very helpful.
The 1300 does weigh less than the 1700 but shorter wheelbase makes the Thunderbird look a little cramped for 2 up, still cool though
No speedmaster or smaller bonnie 'cause I want a belt this time around   :boozing:
Hydraulic valves on the Yammie, shim and bucket on Trumpet
I have 2 good dealers locally for either
The Triumph can have a chirpy belt is about all I’ve heard and the Yammie appears to be bullet proof
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 09:14:44 AM »
I ran The Rat Pac for years at a Triumph/Victory dealer.  Know all the bikes well.  Thunderbird 1600 (I owned a 2010) was really a boring bike.
I only bought it on a trade in as I got a great price.  Sold it to buy a V7!
The Vision was far and away the best of the Victory cruisers IMO.  If you gel with the look it's a fabulous machine in it's class.  Of the 3, I'd buy the Guzzi as it has even more character, again, for me.  The Vision was really good, though.  As a lifelong Triumph guy I was a bit surprised how quickly I got bored with the T-Bird.  It was too bland.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 09:23:01 AM »
I ran The Rat Pac for years at a Triumph/Victory dealer.  Know all the bikes well.  Thunderbird 1600 (I owned a 2010) was really a boring bike.
The Vision was far and away the best of the Victory cruisers IMO.  If you gel with the look it's a fabulous machine in it's class.  Of the 3, I'd buy the Guzzi as it has even more character, again, for me.  The Vision was really good, though.  As a lifelong Triumph guy I was a bit surprised how quickly I got bored with the T-Bird.  It was too bland.

Of course, in the end, it's all about which motorcycle "floats your boat", and appeals to you emotionally.... :cool: :thumb: :boozing: :smiley: :wink:

* Can't go wrong with a modern Triumph...
* Same for a Big Twin Harley, for all the reasons Kevm mentioned...I have owned 5 - great bikes! :thumb:
* I have several friends with the 1400 Guzzi...also a great touring bike...
* No more Victory's after 2017, but they are quite the open road cruiser...
* Long wheelbase and LOW to the ground makes the handling easy... :thumb: Mine has the factory 1" lowering kit so the seat height is 25 inches. 
* It is really no bigger than a Gold Wing or Ultra Classic HD.
*It's loses 200 lbs. the minute you let the clutch out...

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
Yep.  I really liked the way the Vision rode and handled.  It's really a well done machine.

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »
Thanks King
I wonder if the 1700 makes enough difference as to not be bland...hhmmmm
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 09:29:29 AM »
Keep em coming guy and gals, great feedback
Thanks to you all, I will consider a Vision and maybe even gulp...a Harley.
All my Harley buddies are gonna faint if I end up with one..... :rolleyes:
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »
Thanks KevM, as always very helpful.
The 1300 does weigh less than the 1700 but shorter wheelbase makes the Thunderbird look a little cramped for 2 up, still cool though
No speedmaster or smaller bonnie 'cause I want a belt this time around   :boozing:
Hydraulic valves on the Yammie, shim and bucket on Trumpet
I have 2 good dealers locally for either
The Triumph can have a chirpy belt is about all I’ve heard and the Yammie appears to be bullet proof
inditx

Man, other than the wheelbase/2-up (if that's a priority) your answers make me want the Vstar.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 09:38:46 AM »
KTM superduke GT.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
1700 just a bit "meaner".  No real difference with on the road performance.
Watch for the cam decompression device.  It's press fit on the end of the cam so the motor will spin with those huge pistons.  We replaced a few at around 25K as the Press fit goes south and it just spins doing nothing.

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »
May sound silly ,had Metric ,...Honda VTX 1300 C [Sport ]and converted it to longhaul Tourer, ....Like mentioned by many before ,All Metric's are bulletproof and easy to maintain/fix , my Honda ,never ever a problem .
In your case i tend to go with a Yamaha,many of them around here ,only thing you have to do is check the oil and p'push the [starter] button.
For me ,....I just wanted a Cali 1400 soooooo bad ,thats why the Honda isnt here anymore plus this guzzi Virus made me buy another one ,..V7.
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »
All Metric's are bulletproof and easy to maintain/fix

Facts not in evidence.

Though I might even accept this statement if it was "are GENERALLY" or "MANY are" or something like that.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 12:57:46 PM »
Owned a VStar 1300 for 15K miles. Great cruiser/tourer. Also had a Guzzi EV (2001) for 24K miles; very good but not quite as good as the newer Yamaha!!! Also owned a '96 Ultra-glide (the anniversary, fuel injected version). Nothing better on the hiway but heavy every where else.

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 01:14:31 PM »
You mentioned the triumph being prone to a chirpy belt. Having had a Victory V92 with a squealing belt issue I’d say avoid that one if you dislike irritating high pitched noises. One of the reasons I traded my V92 for a Trophy 900.

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 04:35:42 PM »
Kevm,well than i will 're-formulate" to very many are ... :laugh:
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 04:44:53 PM »
1700 just a bit "meaner".  No real difference with on the road performance.
Watch for the cam decompression device.  It's press fit on the end of the cam so the motor will spin with those huge pistons.  We replaced a few at around 25K as the Press fit goes south and it just spins doing nothing.
Good to know, thanks,
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »
  Retired from a Yamaha dealership a few years ago , the V-star was nice But , the 1900 was great . not sporty at all , but a motor that never strained . All
the time there I didn't understand the 1300 V Star at all . Do love my 2018 Eldorado . I just got back from a roadtest of a 2020 T120 , once again very nice,
but jeez is that thing little . Great for fun riding , but probably only 2 up on shorter day trips YMMV , but I just know I'm right :) . Peter

Offline jackthebiker

• New Egg
  • 46 motorcycles so far
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 04:55:13 PM »
I think my 2019 Road King is the perfect "touring cruiser", I was anti HD until I bought my 2010 Electra Glide that was flawless for the 20,000 miles I owned it. I have had 4 Victorys and loved them all, they are great bikes, however the dealer support is disappearing.  The Vision is a lot larger and more of a handful than a Cross Country, the Cross Country will also haul more. I had 2 Indians, they are far from perfect but good bikes, my 2014 Vintage and my 2015 Chieftain were more of a low speed handful than my Road King. My wife and I have owned lots of Yamahas and Honda cruisers, great bikes, but the last bike that I had that broke down was my 2007 Royal Star Venture a year after I bought it new, the fuel pump went out. I could go on and on, 42 motorcycles from 11 different brands.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:59:36 PM by jackthebiker »
Currently riding a 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Adventure  and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »
Are you changing bikes because you are looking for something new ?
You will never like a bike more than the day you bought it, so you may very well never stop buying new bikes. I still enjoy the rush of buying a new bike, more than owning that new bike, however I seem to be growing out of that mindset.
I am convinced that if I don’t crash either of them, I won’t buy another bike for myself from here on.
Just get one, and go places on it. It’s not the bike you tire of, it’s the lack of inspiration as to what do do on it. Try getting a 2VPC Norge and circumnavigate North America, that should get you out of the doldrums.... :bike-037:

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2021, 05:59:16 PM »
Have you looked at Indian?

If I was going to buy a cruiser cruiser, I'd think about the new Rebel 1100 as well.

___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Online rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2021, 06:01:35 PM »
Audance.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 07:45:01 PM »
  Retired from a Yamaha dealership a few years ago , the V-star was nice But , the 1900 was great . not sporty at all , but a motor that never strained . All
the time there I didn't understand the 1300 V Star at all . Do love my 2018 Eldorado . I just got back from a roadtest of a 2020 T120 , once again very nice,
but jeez is that thing little . Great for fun riding , but probably only 2 up on shorter day trips YMMV , but I just know I'm right :) . Peter

Moto-uno
That’s interesting. So the 1900 was that much more bike or was the 1300 just not that much of a bike?
inditx
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:32:01 AM by inditx »
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
Are you changing bikes because you are looking for something new ?
You will never like a bike more than the day you bought it, so you may very well never stop buying new bikes. I still enjoy the rush of buying a new bike, more than owning that new bike, however I seem to be growing out of that mindset.
I am convinced that if I don’t crash either of them, I won’t buy another bike for myself from here on.
Just get one, and go places on it. It’s not the bike you tire of, it’s the lack of inspiration as to what do do on it. Try getting a 2VPC Norge and circumnavigate North America, that should get you out of the doldrums.... :bike-037:
You are right sir as I do love the hunt and catch.
This time I want something for 2 up and more distance.
Keeping the VStrom for other duties.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here