Author Topic: NGC Which Cruiser?  (Read 6217 times)

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC Which Cruiser?
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
VStar 1300 did not have the filter issue the 1100 did. Oil change was easy!!

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2021, 10:10:25 AM »
Well...you could REALLY cruise around town if you had one of these!! :laugh: :grin: :wink: :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2021, 05:20:34 PM »
VStar 1300 did not have the filter issue the 1100 did. Oil change was easy!!

Yes, you are correct.  Sorry for my mistake.
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2021, 05:24:52 PM »
The 1300 VStar has a spin-on filter that is easily accessible from underneath.  They have always been like that.
One need remove nothing to get to it.

Yes, sorry for my extending the 1100 oil filter access design to the 1300.  My mistake.
dave
Millville, DE

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2021, 05:24:52 PM »

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2021, 05:29:27 PM »
Hey Dave,
Educate me on the differences between the 1700 and 1900.
I had a 1700 Warrior but like the Roadstars and Roadliners.
Also leaning toward a belt drive which is weird because I’ve had so many shaft drive bikes.
inditx

The 1900 V-Twin is also an air cooled, push rod design like their 1600/1700 Road Star (and Warrior) engine.  Very similar in design but the 1900 feel SO MUCH stronger due to the torque output.  I had a 2009 Raider for about five years and would place it as one of my favorite bikes.  The Roadliner makes a much better touring bike (same engine).
dave
Millville, DE

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2021, 08:44:59 PM »
Well...you could REALLY cruise around town if you had one of these!! :laugh: :grin: :wink: :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hah, you’re right JJ.

But now you got me reconsidering a Victory......
Thoughts, years, differences....etc.?
Thanks,
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2021, 08:48:48 PM »
The 1900 V-Twin is also an air cooled, push rod design like their 1600/1700 Road Star (and Warrior) engine.  Very similar in design but the 1900 feel SO MUCH stronger due to the torque output.  I had a 2009 Raider for about five years and would place it as one of my favorite bikes.  The Roadliner makes a much better touring bike (same engine).
Thanks roadventure!
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2021, 09:15:02 PM »
For a straight cruiser, even though you said HD is out, you are doing yourself an injustice not to at the least give them a look see. They are plentiful and under market value, at least in my area.
I’ve owned a 1400 Guzzi and they are great cruiser position bikes. However I had an ongoing issue with my 2015 tourer and it had to go.
I had a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 which proved itself to be a great cruiser/tourer. It was bulletproof!
All of your metrics make a solid cruiser style motorcycle.
You ask for opinions so here’s mine, good luck in your search efforts. The only advice I would give it when you buy try and not be over the recoup value when you purchase 👍
School me on HD’s please
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2021, 09:16:30 PM »
So I wasn't going to reply because I don't know either of those bikes well enough and you already said no Harley.

But here's how I would go about considering them both:

* FIRST - plain and simple - find and ride them see which one fits best. The aftermarket is smaller for both and you don't have nearly the options to make it fit better that you do on Harleys. Both sound pretty big and I might lean toward the Vstar just because it's less "excessive" in engine size (but I don't know actual mass of both so that is probably more important).

* NEXT - find out about maintenance. Valve adjustments or hydro? (I'd go hydro unless the adjustments are easy). Belt/shaft/Chain? Some of the Yamaha cruisers had stupid design issues, like exhausts in the way of the oil filter so you'd have to remove part of the exhaust to change the oil. Hopefully that's a thing of the past on these.

* DEALER SUPPORT - what's it like in your area (if you care about it).

* AFTERMARKET SUPPORT - see first step. Can you get any things you might want for it?

* Finally check Brand/Model forums to see if there are any weird things that might exclude one or the other for you. Though I suspect both brands to be pretty reliable you never know if there is some maddening quirk or failure on one that might be a deal breaker.

Honestly Just hearing the names I think I'd lean towards the Triumph because it would be more euro-cool in my mind, but as soon as I say that I start thinking "why so big, why not a Bonnie variant then - like the Triumph America or even the damn Bobber which is a really cool bike"

So that's my best attempt to be helpful. Have fun and be sure to share what you decide to educate us all!

Ok so school me on HD’s please. I should at least listen and consider right?
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
Hah, you’re right JJ.

But now you got me reconsidering a Victory......
Thoughts, years, differences....etc.?
Thanks,
inditx

Mine is a 2014...purchased from new...They discontinued all Victory models in 2017... :bow: :smiley:
So any model between 2014 and 2017 would work...Earlier one were fine also... :thumb:  Not too much difference between the years.
Like Moto Guzzi...they have a strong "CULT" following... :thumb: :smiley:

Be prepared to take a LOT OF CRAP wherever you park it!! :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2021, 09:37:02 PM »
Looking at some older ones. Any major differences?
Is it true that some came without ABS? I would think you’d want ABS on that monster.
Yeah I’ll bet people poke and snicker and laugh etc.....
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2021, 11:52:15 PM »
inditx

You should indeed.  Todays Harleys are fabulous bikes.  Go rent a 107" street glide or Electra Glide at an Eagle Rider shop for a day and you will definitely enjoy the ride.  Performance, handling, cornering clearance, braking, etc... have all improved tremendously from the days of old.  (My HD is a 1988 Electra Glide I bought new, only HD I have ever bought).  I still ride that 80" Evo a few thousand miles a year, its been a flawless bike.  And of course nobody can match the dealer network of HD. 

You can ride a HD with stock pipes, A helmet, and without stupid fringes on the grips if that is what puts you off of HD.  I do. 

About the Thunderbird, I would not buy one now that I know all about them.  I will keep mine as long as she runs because I'd have to give  her away, and she is a marvelous bike.  I seem to be attracted to bikes like that, take a look at my signature.  '07 Norge, R1150RT, K1200LT. 

Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2021, 06:44:47 AM »
inditx

Well, you do you it's all good - but here's a primer:

When it comes to air-cooled twins Harley has had two major engine families unitized EVO (Sportster) and separate engine/transmission/primary Big Twins - EVO, then TC (Twin Cam), and finally M8 (Milwaukee Eight).

Then they divide what they offer by chassis:

I'm going to mention some, just for education, though I don't think you would be interested in them for comfort/2-up touring etc.

Sportster uses only the unitized EVO motor in a couple of variants - Solidmount (through 03) is a little lighter (450-505# wet, heavier in later years, better running gear in last years 00-03, like 4pot brakes). Great around town bike, lousy highway bike because the solidmount vibrations are horrible to some people and in some bikes. Rubbermount - carbureted 04-06, feedback EFI from 07+, is a tad heavier (550-585#), but MUCH more comfortable on highway etc. It's still a small chassis to some, but overall power/capability can be similar to the Cali 1100 in a slightly smaller wheelbase/overall length. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN CHECKING ONE OUT - the better brakes are on 14+ models, though the earlier duals are ok - be aware that there are MANY lowered models (though that can be changed, more easily on some than others). It's not a BAD 2-up bike if you and your pillion aren't too big. Jenn spent some time back there now and again (mostly if say we were dropping something off for a repair or the like). But 2-up, highway, in the wet, I remember running an effortless 70+ as comfortable and stable as can be. ABS and keyless ignition are available in later years though often not opted.

Big Twins are used in the other platforms, let me cover the motors real quick then I'll cover the platforms.

* EVO - classic, but likely kinda old at this point ended around 99 (slightly different based on year). There were two versions of these motors - rubbermounted for FXR, Dyna, or Touring models, solidmount for Softails (see solidmount Sporty for downsides).

* Twin Cam - contains the Persian Flaw - the TC88 from around 99-06 most models have a spring controlled cam chain tensioner that is a wear item and must be checked and replaced OFTEN - like checked every 20k and replaced rarely later than 50k. Failure can toast the motor. Starting on the Dyna in 06 (a one year only TC88) and everything else in 07+ (TC96) they fixed that with hydraulic tensioners which still must be checked, but you can wait till maybe 50k and might not replace till 100k. They also upgraded a bunch of things. Toward the end of the run the TC103 came out and it's the pinnacle of the design but the others are fine (even the TC88 if the hydraulic tensioners are retrofitted OR if you go to an aftermarket gear drive cam). There are two versions of these motors - rubbermounted for Dyna or Touring bikes or solidmount w/ counterbalancer for Softails.

* Milwaukee 8 - started in 2017 and is a 4V/head, motor available in both rubbermount w/ single counterbalancer (Touring) or solidmount w/ dual counterbalancer (Softails) versions. A few of the early ones, specifically on touring models w/ hydraulic clutches, seem to have a problem (mostly when hopped up) transferring oil from I think the engine to the primary case. I suspect the hydraulic clutch because they seemed to have abandoned it this year and gone back to cables, go figure.

Now the platforms.

FXR - probably too old for you. Considered a great handling bike. Only came with rubbermounet EVOs. Think close to Cali 1100 size. These guys ended in early 90s, with another run of special ones in late 90s.

Dyna - similar in size to Cali 1100, but a little heavier, probably low 600#'s wet. Came in EVO and TC versions. Bikes might be FXD (smaller front end/sportier, pegs, though some have forwards and some have mid mounts) or FLD (larger front end/fender/tire - touring setup, probably with floorboards). Dynas ended after 2016.

Softails - come in EVO (solidmount only, avoid), TC (not bad with counter balancer, but not great handlers) or an all new monoshock chassis in 2017+ with the M8 (honestly, finally made a decent Softail I would consider owning with these). Over the years you'll see FXST variants (more sporty) and FLST variants (more touring oriented). MANY of the Softail models through 16 are lowered and have limited ground clearance, this got better (not great, but better) with the 17+ redesign and the monoshock chassis (also they eliminated the Dyna that year and moved some models from the Dyna chassis to this new Softail chassis). Not sure what you want to spend, but the late-model ones are great options often with ABS and all with at least decent brakes, some with truly excellent brakes.

Touring - here are the Road Kings and Electra Glides - they go back (before the EVO in many cases). The basic flavors are Road Kings (removeable windshields), Road Glides (fixed frame mounted fairings) and Street Glides/Electra Glides (fork mounted batwing fairings). Ironically these bikes have the most lean angle in many cases, but they are the biggest and heaviest. They range from a low of 700# in the EVO era to a "low" in the low 800's by the TC103 and M8. And that's just the Road Kings and Electra Glide Standards, they get up into the 900's on the full dressers. Thing to know about these is that the chassis really improved in 2009, and then in 2014 they got things like electronically linked ABS Brembo brakes that are EXCELLENT. The late M8s even can have traction control and I think cornering ABS etc. These are the smoothest, most comfortable. They can still dance, but they are just plain not small. You can get actual bargains in EVOs, and some TCs. Hell my 2016 unused Police bike was only $16.5k with ABS, cruise etc.

Now if any of the platforms sound interesting, let me know and I can do a deeper dive into models and options.

The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO LOOK FOR in a USED Harley is that it is as close to stock as possible.

Frankly the one worst thing about Harleys is Harley owners and what some of them will do to a bike. The less molested it is, the more likely it runs fine and hasn't been abused. Stock they are quite reliable, change fluids/filters and go.

And that's the BASICS.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2021, 07:40:05 AM »
I have said this before.  Modern Harley's are GREAT road and touring bikes.... :thumb: :boozing: :smiley:
and I have owned five (5)...two FLH-S (Electra Glide Sports) and three FLH-R Road Kings...  If I bought another one, this one speaks to me
2021 Softail Slim! :thumb: :smiley: :boozing: :cool: :cool: :cool:  Just add a windshield and a set of bags! :wink:

upload photos online
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2021, 07:49:32 AM »
You should indeed.  Todays Harleys are fabulous bikes.  Go rent a 107" street glide or Electra Glide at an Eagle Rider shop for a day and you will definitely enjoy the ride.  Performance, handling, cornering clearance, braking, etc... have all improved tremendously from the days of old.  (My HD is a 1988 Electra Glide I bought new, only HD I have ever bought).  I still ride that 80" Evo a few thousand miles a year, its been a flawless bike.  And of course nobody can match the dealer network of HD. 

You can ride a HD with stock pipes, A helmet, and without stupid fringes on the grips if that is what puts you off of HD.  I do. 

About the Thunderbird, I would not buy one now that I know all about them.  I will keep mine as long as she runs because I'd have to give  her away, and she is a marvelous bike.  I seem to be attracted to bikes like that, take a look at my signature.  '07 Norge, R1150RT, K1200LT. 

Thanks Bob. That’s the conclusion I came to on the T-Bird, don’t want to wrench or pay someone to, I just want to ride until I can’t anymore. I will have to consider a Harley given all the endorsements.
inditx

inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2021, 08:54:00 AM »
Well, you do you it's all good - but here's a primer:

When it comes to air-cooled twins Harley has had two major engine families unitized EVO (Sportster) and separate engine/transmission/primary Big Twins - EVO, then TC (Twin Cam), and finally M8 (Milwaukee Eight).

Then they divide what they offer by chassis:

I'm going to mention some, just for education, though I don't think you would be interested in them for comfort/2-up touring etc.

Sportster uses only the unitized EVO motor in a couple of variants - Solidmount (through 03) is a little lighter (450-505# wet, heavier in later years, better running gear in last years 00-03, like 4pot brakes). Great around town bike, lousy highway bike because the solidmount vibrations are horrible to some people and in some bikes. Rubbermount - carbureted 04-06, feedback EFI from 07+, is a tad heavier (550-585#), but MUCH more comfortable on highway etc. It's still a small chassis to some, but overall power/capability can be similar to the Cali 1100 in a slightly smaller wheelbase/overall length. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN CHECKING ONE OUT - the better brakes are on 14+ models, though the earlier duals are ok - be aware that there are MANY lowered models (though that can be changed, more easily on some than others). It's not a BAD 2-up bike if you and your pillion aren't too big. Jenn spent some time back there now and again (mostly if say we were dropping something off for a repair or the like). But 2-up, highway, in the wet, I remember running an effortless 70+ as comfortable and stable as can be. ABS and keyless ignition are available in later years though often not opted.

Big Twins are used in the other platforms, let me cover the motors real quick then I'll cover the platforms.

* EVO - classic, but likely kinda old at this point ended around 99 (slightly different based on year). There were two versions of these motors - rubbermounted for FXR, Dyna, or Touring models, solidmount for Softails (see solidmount Sporty for downsides).

* Twin Cam - contains the Persian Flaw - the TC88 from around 99-06 most models have a spring controlled cam chain tensioner that is a wear item and must be checked and replaced OFTEN - like checked every 20k and replaced rarely later than 50k. Failure can toast the motor. Starting on the Dyna in 06 (a one year only TC88) and everything else in 07+ (TC96) they fixed that with hydraulic tensioners which still must be checked, but you can wait till maybe 50k and might not replace till 100k. They also upgraded a bunch of things. Toward the end of the run the TC103 came out and it's the pinnacle of the design but the others are fine (even the TC88 if the hydraulic tensioners are retrofitted OR if you go to an aftermarket gear drive cam). There are two versions of these motors - rubbermounted for Dyna or Touring bikes or solidmount w/ counterbalancer for Softails.

* Milwaukee 8 - started in 2017 and is a 4V/head, motor available in both rubbermount w/ single counterbalancer (Touring) or solidmount w/ dual counterbalancer (Softails) versions. A few of the early ones, specifically on touring models w/ hydraulic clutches, seem to have a problem (mostly when hopped up) transferring oil from I think the engine to the primary case. I suspect the hydraulic clutch because they seemed to have abandoned it this year and gone back to cables, go figure.

Now the platforms.

FXR - probably too old for you. Considered a great handling bike. Only came with rubbermounet EVOs. Think close to Cali 1100 size. These guys ended in early 90s, with another run of special ones in late 90s.

Dyna - similar in size to Cali 1100, but a little heavier, probably low 600#'s wet. Came in EVO and TC versions. Bikes might be FXD (smaller front end/sportier, pegs, though some have forwards and some have mid mounts) or FLD (larger front end/fender/tire - touring setup, probably with floorboards). Dynas ended after 2016.

Softails - come in EVO (solidmount only, avoid), TC (not bad with counter balancer, but not great handlers) or an all new monoshock chassis in 2017+ with the M8 (honestly, finally made a decent Softail I would consider owning with these). Over the years you'll see FXST variants (more sporty) and FLST variants (more touring oriented). MANY of the Softail models through 16 are lowered and have limited ground clearance, this got better (not great, but better) with the 17+ redesign and the monoshock chassis (also they eliminated the Dyna that year and moved some models from the Dyna chassis to this new Softail chassis). Not sure what you want to spend, but the late-model ones are great options often with ABS and all with at least decent brakes, some with truly excellent brakes.

Touring - here are the Road Kings and Electra Glides - they go back (before the EVO in many cases). The basic flavors are Road Kings (removeable windshields), Road Glides (fixed frame mounted fairings) and Street Glides/Electra Glides (fork mounted batwing fairings). Ironically these bikes have the most lean angle in many cases, but they are the biggest and heaviest. They range from a low of 700# in the EVO era to a "low" in the low 800's by the TC103 and M8. And that's just the Road Kings and Electra Glide Standards, they get up into the 900's on the full dressers. Thing to know about these is that the chassis really improved in 2009, and then in 2014 they got things like electronically linked ABS Brembo brakes that are EXCELLENT. The late M8s even can have traction control and I think cornering ABS etc. These are the smoothest, most comfortable. They can still dance, but they are just plain not small. You can get actual bargains in EVOs, and some TCs. Hell my 2016 unused Police bike was only $16.5k with ABS, cruise etc.

Now if any of the platforms sound interesting, let me know and I can do a deeper dive into models and options.

The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO LOOK FOR in a USED Harley is that it is as close to stock as possible.

Frankly the one worst thing about Harleys is Harley owners and what some of them will do to a bike. The less molested it is, the more likely it runs fine and hasn't been abused. Stock they are quite reliable, change fluids/filters and go.

And that's the BASICS.

WOW KevM you are the man! Thanks so much.
Would be interested in an older 2009ish Glide with frame mounted fairing (I think) and a queen perch for my bride. Any extra info would be welcome or if you need more input from me.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2021, 08:55:20 AM »
I have said this before.  Modern Harley's are GREAT road and touring bikes.... :thumb: :boozing: :smiley:
and I have owned five (5)...two FLH-S (Electra Glide Sports) and three FLH-R Road Kings...  If I bought another one, this one speaks to me
2021 Softail Slim! :thumb: :smiley: :boozing: :cool: :cool: :cool:  Just add a windshield and a set of bags! :wink:

upload photos online

Thanks JJ!
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2021, 09:14:20 AM »
Victory Vision Tour, about indestructible. A LOT of bang for the buck.
My pals over 200k miles on his.
He had the rear shock upgraded and belt changed for piece of mind.
I think they are the great "Un-Harley" and look awesome.
Next would be my low mileage HD 2006 Street Glide bought for peanuts.

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
WOW KevM you are the man! Thanks so much.
Would be interested in an older 2009ish Glide with frame mounted fairing (I think) and a queen perch for my bride. Any extra info would be welcome or if you need more input from me.
inditx

:thumb:

So 2009 or later Road Glide, something with a topcase (and if I might mention, you can put an HB or Givi or other generic topcase on top of the HD tour pack rack for about 1/5th of the price - i.e. a couple hundred bucks instead of just over $1k with OEM parts).

2014 would also get you Brembo brakes and some other stuff.

The linked ABS is really impressive. It's electronic. If you start braking below 35 mph front lever is front calipers, rear pedal is rear caliper. If you start braking above 35 mph they are linked, either the lever or the pedal gives you full braking ability at both ends. You can ONE FINGER haul the heavy bitch down from 80+ like you wouldn't believe.

One word of information the Road Glide (and MOST of the "Glides") come in two flavors - regular and sugar-free, I mean "Special." In Harley's world the word "Special" sometimes means "we lowered the suspension because riders with special needs think it's better to have less suspension travel and cornering clearance so we charge them more for less" - it can also mean cosmetic differences, some are really bad, again charge more for less.

I'm not sure what it means on the CURRENT Road Glide because a quick comparison shows the Special has less ground clearance but better lean angles and the same seat height?!? I guess just be aware there are differences in the same model if it's called Special or not, and sometimes the differences are bad. They certainly are on the RK.

AHHH, I see on the CURRENT model Road Glide the "Special" does get you more - it gets you the 114 motor and full color TFT system instead of just a plain old color radio (maybe that's the difference between NAV or Apple Car Play or something, I don't pay attention to that stuff since I like models without it).

On late model stuff the RDRS (Rider Defensive Reflex System) is the full gammut of ABS/Traction Control etc. Earlier models just had optional ABS (which I have and was describing earlier as AWESOME).

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
inditx, what's your price point?
Your first post 2 bikes of interest can be had under $7k ruling out many bikes mentioned here, though my Street Glide and Victory Vision would squeak under..
If you revised up $$ and I missed it, sorry.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »
Thanks KevM!

Tazio, I’d like to spend around $7,500 but realize that may not be reasonable. In that case I wait and save my pennies.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2021, 08:10:33 PM »
JJ
Ncdan
tazio
kingof fleece

Does the Vision need the reverse?
2010 it came with ABS right?
Any other year over differences to consider?
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2021, 08:58:06 PM »
JJ
Ncdan
tazio
kingof fleece

inditx
You more than likely won’t get ABS with the HD models of 10 years back. We found my son a low mileage 07 soft tail deluxe, he is only 5’7” so needed a low seat, for 7k. It’s a blast to ride and he loves it.
My neighbor just sold a low mileage mint cont condition 03 road king for 6k and that’s a mile munching beast. There are some great buys out there with the HD bikes, as well as the other brands also. I really think you would be at least glad that you properly eliminated the brand if nothing else.

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2021, 08:59:10 PM »
 :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2021, 09:36:41 PM »
JJ
Ncdan
tazio
kingof fleece

inditx

Here is information on the ABS for the Visions. 

https://www.victoryforums.com/threads/does-your-vision-have-abs.2868/

The reverse was NOT standard and an aftermarket option, I believe...
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2021, 09:43:57 PM »
The Bottom-Line:  IMHO, the Victory Vision is a GREAT open highway, touring bike...
However, be prepared to take a lot of CRAP wherever you park it! :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

Air-cooled, 6-speed, belt-drive, 106 cu. in. V-twin, 2-stage heated seat, 2-stage heated grips, retractable windshield, 25 inch seat height, 67-in. wheelbase, 871 pounds, 47-48 MPG at 75-80 mph. 
You will not appreciate this bike until you complete a 1000 mile road trip. :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:51:34 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2021, 07:57:19 AM »
 It must have been pure hell when rider rode cross country at speeds up to 80 mph on BMW air heads or the occasional Guzzi  or other bikes.   No reverse, no electronic display like Capt Kirk's space ship. must have compared to Shackleton marooned at Antartica..

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2021, 08:36:30 AM »
I don't think too many of us were riding across the country in those days. I rode my R75 across a couple of time, once in 70 and again in 71. Once a Harley rider wanted to ride with me. He said he would try to keep up, he didn't stay with me for very long.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2021, 11:14:43 AM »
I don't think too many of us were riding across the country in those days. I rode my R75 across a couple of time, once in 70 and again in 71. Once a Harley rider wanted to ride with me. He said he would try to keep up, he didn't stay with me for very long.
kk
. Yeah very few of us but many others...And no 450 hp Diesel pu trucks to pull an RV trailer. The family piled into their full size sedan with 225 hp and pulled a 30 ft Airstream down two lane roads and mountain passes..Riders on Harleys and Indians and even some on  Brit Bikes...
  Some sarcam on my part but fore sure the overkill bikes and vehicles may, just may, have taken away some of the adventure....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »
Hey RoughEdgeRacing
I don’t disagree but there are times and ages, where the “luxuries” are welcome on aging bodies.
Glad we have a lot of choices now.
My 69 Bonny would not be one I’d ride across the country then or now but I did a lot of riding and fixing unfortunately.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here