Author Topic: What is the future for MG?  (Read 12212 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
What is the future for MG?
« on: April 18, 2021, 07:34:49 AM »
I was talking to one of my forum Pals last night and after our conversation ended a question became apparent to me, what is the future of the moto Guzzi brand of motorcycle.
They no longer produce the newest line, 1400s, which was their future for touring  and cruiser bikes at the time of introduction. They no longer offer the ole work horse 1100 series, which was used in most all of the versions of riding needs and desires of Guzzi riders, so what’s left?
Personally for the kind of bikes I prefer being cruiser/ tourers, the future looks kind of bleak:(.
What say my fellow Guzzi enthusiast?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:50:21 AM by Ncdan »

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: What is the future for MG?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 07:46:49 AM »
Who knows what they have planned?

If the supposedly new bike being introduced is just another detuned 850 cc engine, I’ll be a bit more pessimistic about their future, but something tells me that Piaggio is on top of their plans.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 07:49:50 AM »

Moto Guzzi
                                                                     Established 1921
                                                          Going out of business since 1922

Dusty

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 07:53:37 AM »
I'm not worried yet.

The V7 & V85 make the money and made it to Euro5.
The new bike will be a more-or-less-Griso, and that was (and is) a very popular bike too.

Clever business decissions, I'd say.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 07:53:37 AM »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 07:54:23 AM »
The heart wants what the heart wants.  My choice of bikes are adventure/do everything "Swiss Army Knife" class of motorcycles.  I put my name on the list to buy a V 85 when I became aware that this bike was coming.  I am coming on 2 years of ownership and extremely pleased with my choice.  I would think that with the "new" 850 motor that a sport touring machine would be a strong possibility for people who like to tour but don't like Adventure style bikes.  Probably long life ahead with the V7 bikes and upgraded motors.  I am not a cruiser guy, so can't really speak to that.  From my perspective, with the world wide success of the V 85, I think the future looks better for Moto Guzzi than it has in quite some time.  YMMV.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 08:00:55 AM »
The heart wants what the heart wants.  My choice of bikes are adventure/do everything "Swiss Army Knife" class of motorcycles.  I put my name on the list to buy a V 85 when I became aware that this bike was coming.  I am coming on 2 years of ownership and extremely pleased with my choice.  I would think that with the "new" 850 motor that a sport touring machine would be a strong possibility for people who like to tour but don't like Adventure style bikes.  Probably long life ahead with the V7 bikes and upgraded motors.  I am not a cruiser guy, so can't really speak to that.  From my perspective, with the world wide success of the V 85, I think the future looks better for Moto Guzzi than it has in quite some time.  YMMV.
But does totally dropping the bigger blocks make sense?

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 08:07:54 AM »
I don't know, but I would hope that they stick around for a little while longer because I just bought a brand new one.

:bike-037:

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 08:13:35 AM »
I'm betting in the next few years MG will pump billions of dollars into creating a reliable worldwide dealer network plus working creating new motorcycles that are old but new and with lots of new tech but no tech. Piaggio will support warranty claims, back dealers and become #1 worldwide in customer service. MG will in the coming years will expand at a rate faster than the universe did during the big bang outpacing all other manufacturers combined.

Or they will go tits up. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:14:52 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »
I am not a big block guy.  My bikes of choice have been in the 500 - 1000 cc range.  I am not really qualified to say.  I have always been "intrigued" by people who ride 700 lb and up motorcycles.  I feel you can tour very well on a 500 lb./80 hp motorcycle.  I don't know if the future of motorcycles in general is for bikes over 1000 cc.  Like I said, not really qualified to comment.  Do you feel there is enough of a demand for this type/size of bike?

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
Will the September reveal be an electric  or a new water cooled 1000cc+? Or are they both in the works, with one coming out before the other?
I am thinking electric, as from what I know the bigger engine bikes didn't sell all that well the last couple years even in the US, the main market for them.
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 08:22:12 AM »
I’ve had Guzzis since the early 80’s. Moto Guzzi has always had Dealer network issues. There will always be the select few good shops, and many come and go shops. Been that way for a long time. At one time, Spare Parts in Philly was a fairly good shop to buy parts, get service and even see new bikes. They are still around, just not a Guzzi Dealer.

Anecdotally , I think the current V7 series has been a sales success for Piagio, so I expect that they will bank on that, and keep small blocks as their bread and butter.

Personally, it would be a very positive step, to establish a real dealer network, like another German brand has, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 08:25:40 AM »
Piaggio is part of the Immsi group. Looking at these numbers from the last 5 years, anyone with any type of business experience can predict what's going to happen within the next 4-5.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:28:36 AM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
Piaggio is part of the Immsi group. Looking at these numbers from the last 5 years, anyone with any type of business experience can predict what's going to happen within the next 4-5.

Up and down ?

Dusty

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 08:36:15 AM »
Up and down ?

Dusty

If my business had these number percentages, I'd expect no change. No new product lines. No new services. I'd more than likely just be offering "the same old same"...

So, either they keep doing what they're doing now at the same pace or they completely fold. I see no room here for new product development, R&D, expansions, marketing, etc, without going into major loan debt.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 08:37:40 AM »
I am not a big block guy.  My bikes of choice have been in the 500 - 1000 cc range.  I am not really qualified to say.  I have always been "intrigued" by people who ride 700 lb and up motorcycles.  I feel you can tour very well on a 500 lb./80 hp motorcycle.  I don't know if the future of motorcycles in general is for bikes over 1000 cc.  Like I said, not really qualified to comment.  Do you feel there is enough of a demand for this type/size of bike?
I do Tommy. I’ve toured on the heavier touring bikes as well as the lighter bikes you prefer. Hands down, there is no comparison between a 1400+ CC , 850 lb bike loaded with 400+ pounds of flesh and luggage to the smaller bikes  for 500+ mile days of cross country touring. Yes you can tour the country on a 500 and less cc and pound bike but to say they are equal is questionable at best.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm betting in the next few years MG will pump billions of dollars into creating a reliable worldwide dealer network plus working creating new motorcycles that are old but new and with lots of new tech but no tech. Piaggio will support warranty claims, back dealers and become #1 worldwide in customer service. MG will in the coming years will expand at a rate faster than the universe did during the big bang outpacing all other manufacturers combined.

Here's a slightly different take, decentralised manufacturering of spares for the Piaggio group, each contient has a facility, 3d printers, 3D milling machines, lathes. You need bit XYZ, order goes to the local facility, they bring up the gerber file and stamp one out. Need a part thats comepley obsolete and unobtainable sned your sample into the facility they scan it and manufacture it the file goes onto the world wide data base so if someone else needs the same thing, thier local facility pulls the file out of the database and away they go. No need to wait for shipping or guess when Italy is on holidays.

I think the 1400 didn't take off the way they hoped on most of the Guzzi social media sites they are basically V7 forums except for those dedicated to individual models. I understand completely why they discontinued it.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 08:42:18 AM »
Here's a slightly different take, decentralised manufacturering of spares for the Piaggio group, each contient has a facility, 3d printers, 3D milling machines, lathes. You need bit XYZ, order goes to the local facility, they bring up the gerber file and stamp one out. Need a part thats comepley obsolete and unobtainable sned your sample into the facility they scan it and manufacture it the file goes onto the world wide data base so if someone else needs the same thing, thier local facility pulls the file out of the database and away they go. No need to wait for shipping or guess when Italy is on holidays.

I think the 1400 didn't take off the way they hoped on most of the Guzzi social media sites they are basically V7 forums except for those dedicated to individual models. I understand completely why they discontinued it.
Interesting take👍

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 08:44:50 AM »
I’d say the 1400 didn’t take off because your typical American isn’t expected to even entertain the idea of a big, fat Italian cruiser made from a brand they probably never heard of.

Harley.
India.
Honda.
Yamaha.
Suzuki.
Kawasaki.

Only then do you start with Triumph, and the rest follow after.

Porky cruisers are an American thing, but many a citizen is used to a certain style, a certain brand. Good luck to the Italian outsiders who can’t even get their dealer network down solid.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 08:45:20 AM »
The future of Moto Guzzi is electric.  As it is for all other motorcycle manufacturers.  When everybody uses the same motor how do you do product differentiation?  I suspect a lot of brands are going away.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 08:49:45 AM »
If my business had these number percentages, I'd expect no change. No new product lines. No new services. I'd more than likely just be offering "the same old same"...

So, either they keep doing what they're doing now at the same pace or they completely fold. I see no room here for new product development, R&D, expansions, marketing, etc, without going into major loan debt.

You point out something I learned in the '80's , growth can be tricky . The next few years will be interesting in the overall motorbike market , will it continue to shrink , will it stabilize , what effect will the emergence of new much improved models from Royal Enfield on the world market ?

My best guess lines up with your assessment , Guzzi will plug along at least for the next 20 years , younger buyers seem to like the V85 series , it makes sense to build one line that appeals to a younger demographic .

Dusty

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 08:52:22 AM »
Maybe, but 2020 will forever be treated as an aberration, as it should. They seemed to be doing...OK, but on the downward side of a peak, perhaps. Would need to see pre-17 to be sure

2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 09:02:14 AM »
Ncdan: I owned a Honda ST 1100 for 22 + years.  It was my two up touring machine and put 50 K miles on it.  Fully loaded and two up could cruise all day long at 85 - 90 mph or more,  easily.  Traveled on that bike from Ohio to Banff, PEI, and Key West, and points in between.  I never could see a need for anything more. 

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 09:12:55 AM »

:bike-037:

The future of Moto Guzzi ???

Well, If I ever get this thing working -

Then I'll come back and let ya'all know !

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:13:43 AM by kballowe »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »
They're selling nothing interesting to me. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 09:43:07 AM »

When was the last time you bought a new motorbike ? Used bike sales do nothing for a company's bottom line , only new bike sales make them any money .

Dusty

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »
No one can accurately predict the future...

However, I can GUARANTEE you that I will NOT be owning an "electric Moto Guzzi" in my lifetime... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »
What I love about my V7III is its ability to transform into whatever I want it to be.

It started life as a standard.  Last year I converted it to a Cafe.  It can very easily be converted to a grocery getter / commuter / light tourer.
It can even be converted into a scrambler.

It is what the Universal Japanese Motorcycle was.

It can even be converted to a cruiser riding position if one so desires.

I have grown to realize that I have no need for big power.  I am over that part of my life.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:27:16 AM by twowheeladdict »
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »
Ncdan: I owned a Honda ST 1100 for 22 + years.  It was my two up touring machine and put 50 K miles on it.  Fully loaded and two up could cruise all day long at 85 - 90 mph or more,  easily.  Traveled on that bike from Ohio to Banff, PEI, and Key West, and points in between.  I never could see a need for anything more.
I totally agree Tommy as its a 1100 and a high  torque and HP at that, plenty capabilities for a touring machine as the 1100 Guzzi is. This is quite a bit different than the motors Guzzi is leaning towards now, wouldn’t you say?

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 10:30:05 AM »
Roger that LR, that’s where I’m at as well👍

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 10:34:25 AM »
No one can accurately predict the future...

However, I can GUARANTEE you that I will NOT be owning an "electric Moto Guzzi" in my lifetime... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh:
Never can be a while JJ. There may come a day we can’t get gasoline 🤔😂👍

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here