Author Topic: Radial or Bias Ply tires for a Tonti  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Kane

• New Egg
Radial or Bias Ply tires for a Tonti
« on: April 20, 2021, 12:00:03 AM »
I’ll be needing to put new rubber on my T3 project. The wheels are the skinny cast ones, like on the early LM. I’ve read somewhere that bias ply tires are better for a Tonti bike than radial tires. Is this true, and if so why? I don’t know a whole lot about tires, but I’ve thought that radials were better and are the standard in performance tires. What works best for these old bikes with skinny wheels?
Thanks
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Radial or Bias Ply tires for a Tonti
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 03:58:20 AM »
I've read nothing but good things about radials on these bikes. Continental's radials are made in sizes that will fit our bikes.
Next month I'm ditching the wooden Pirelli Demons on my LM2 and fitting  a Road Attack 3 to the front and a Classic Attack to the rear.
I run tyres on my bike tubeless. Interestingly, when I talked to Continental, they recommended 120/90-18 for the rear, but I may stick with the 110/90-18.
Good read here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/conti-radial-review.16623/#post-124002 and here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/radial-tyred-tonti-s.15699/

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »
Thank you, Steve. Much appreciated!
Cheers
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
I had tried radials a couple of times on my 2004 EV. I had to WAY over inflate the tires to keep it from squirming all over the place.

Once, I just bought them and tried them. Had to change them out. The other time I was on a cross country trip and that was the only replacement tire I could find. It got me home, where I replaced them.

They didn't work on that Tonti.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:24:23 AM »
Oh, boy.. a radial vs bias tire thread.  :cool: :boozing:
Classic Attacks rock.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 08:28:10 AM »
I’ll be needing to put new rubber on my T3 project. The wheels are the skinny cast ones, like on the early LM. I’ve read somewhere that bias ply tires are better for a Tonti bike than radial tires. Is this true, and if so why? I don’t know a whole lot about tires, but I’ve thought that radials were better and are the standard in performance tires. What works best for these old bikes with skinny wheels?
Thanks

I have my Convert Rims off at the shop having new tires put on. It had the Bridgestone BT45(?) and I replaced them with Pirelli Route 66 tires.

I believe the book called for 4.10-18. Used the same sizes as the Bridgestone 100/90 -18 Front and 120/90 - 18 Rears. The shop is swamped right now, will report back once I put a few miles on them.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Guzler

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 01:23:47 PM »
I have my Convert Rims off at the shop having new tires put on. It had the Bridgestone BT45(?) and I replaced them with Pirelli Route 66 tires.

I believe the book called for 4.10-18. Used the same sizes as the Bridgestone 100/90 -18 Front and 120/90 - 18 Rears. The shop is swamped right now, will report back once I put a few miles on them.

Put the 66s on my '77. Much better than sport demons for me. 120 rear too.

Offline Motorad64

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »
I've got 3k miles on Classic Attacks on a 78 LM1.  90/90 front 120 rear.   I'd like to try a 110 rear but have nothing but good things to say about the handling.  Incredible grip. 
They do not track on grooved pavement, have terrific grip/feel in the wet and ride very comfortably.  Not sure why you wouldn't buy them.   

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 04:01:03 PM »
A couple of caveats here , first the Le Mans 2 rims are a WM type , originally tube type . They also don't have the
inner safety ridge . If the manufacturer ( such as Dunlop) says to use tubes if fitted to tube type rims ,You should
be good to go . But if there is no reference to being used on tube type rims , contact the manufacturer , sales
people are sales people , not generally tech experts . The very fact that 2 completely different experiences have
been voiced here reinforces my concerns . Simply because they hold air isn't enough , balloons hold air too  :azn: . Peter

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 04:33:26 PM »
I tried Bridgestone BT 53's around 20 years ago, on a Lemans 3, handled like a shopping trolley on meth.
However looking back I may have simply cocked up by not running with higher pressures, I stayed with the tried and true 32 F  and 36 R. Probably should have gone 36 F and 42 R. It didnt occur to me at the time, been using BT 45 ever since with no issues at the std pressures.
Enough people on here HAVE sucessfully run radials with good results to basically prove low pressures were probably the issue.on mine.

Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 06:21:24 PM »
I've got 3k miles on Classic Attacks on a 78 LM1.  90/90 front 120 rear.   I'd like to try a 110 rear but have nothing but good things to say about the handling.  Incredible grip. 
They do not track on grooved pavement, have terrific grip/feel in the wet and ride very comfortably.  Not sure why you wouldn't buy them.

I have nothing left to say, your honor.. :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 07:01:30 PM »
OK, I can dip my EV pretty low down in the corners with those Metzler 880.  So will I get the enjoyment and economy <Guzzi content> with those new fangled radials?   

DOUBTFUL.   :azn:

I like to get all the tires can give.   :evil:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:02:10 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »
You could shave off those chicken strips and glue em in the middle.. :evil:

:smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 04:20:32 PM »
You could shave off those chicken strips and glue em in the middle.. :evil:

:smiley:

The scary thing is that Darren I rode to the Talihina campout.  About 200 miles from the house.  When we rode the scenic drive, I said the bike seems to handle funny.  Anyway the next day we were heading home and hitting the twisties on a back highway I'd never ridden, doing a good 90 for stretches or more for about 50 miles, stopped for breakfast, and then I saw the tire.  WOW.  Had to get towed home.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 03:49:49 AM »
A couple of caveats here , first the Le Mans 2 rims are a WM type , originally tube type . They also don't have the
inner safety ridge . If the manufacturer ( such as Dunlop) says to use tubes if fitted to tube type rims ,You should
be good to go . But if there is no reference to being used on tube type rims , contact the manufacturer , sales
people are sales people , not generally tech experts . The very fact that 2 completely different experiences have
been voiced here reinforces my concerns . Simply because they hold air isn't enough , balloons hold air too  :azn: . Peter

I talked to tech(at)conti-tyres.co.uk, the clue's in the first word.
Yes the LM2 wheels don't have the 'safety' ridge to keep the tyre on, but exactly the same thing would happen with the tubed tyre.
I'd rather have the slower deflation of a tubeless puncture that the blow out of a tube.

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 05:56:52 AM »
We’re kinda talking the same thing here, but what’s available in bias ply.

Any one use dunlop 11/90/18 d404’s?

A couple manufacturers are redoing vintage tread designs w modern compounds..looks great
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 06:41:19 AM »
We’re kinda talking the same thing here, but what’s available in bias ply.

Any one use dunlop 11/90/18 d404’s?

A couple manufacturers are redoing vintage tread designs w modern compounds..looks great

I had a pair of those put on my CX because it was the only option available to me from the dealer doing the safety check at the time.

I wouldn't do it again, they've never let me down, but if my judgement is correct, I think they ride stiff even aired down and I know I'll never wear them out.

For my G5, they might be more suitable, longer life, slower pace etc, but I regret having them on my CX, they'll be in the garbage long before I wear them out. fwiw
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here