Author Topic: I finally found out where that road went...  (Read 1291 times)

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
I finally found out where that road went...
« on: April 21, 2021, 04:53:18 PM »
Do you ever have some intersection you pass without noticing for years and years until one day you think, "I wonder where that road goes?"  This is probably how all expeditions get started.  One imagines Marco Polo wondering where all that silk came from, Columbus saying, "I wonder what's on the other side of that ocean?" or generations of scientists looking at the Moon and thinking that we really have to check that place out some day.  Some of those expeditions are triumphs of the human spirit -- epoch-making achievements that change the course of history.

Others are ones like this ride two weeks ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtbQ4oqM9ew

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
Re: I finally found out where that road went...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 05:27:25 PM »
Columbus already knew (or had a good idea) of what was beyond that ocean..  others had already been there done that... and the funny thing is, he never actually made it there, close but no.. The continent was named after Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian explorer obviously sailing in the latest and greatest ship know as the Moto - Sloopy....
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 05:41:46 PM »
Columbus already knew (or had a good idea) of what was beyond that ocean..  others had already been there done that... and the funny thing is, he never actually made it there, close but no.. The continent was named after Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian explorer obviously sailing in the latest and greatest ship know as the Moto - Sloopy....
True!  Though Columbus was from Genoa, so he was Italian too.  The first man to circumnavigate the globe, Pigafetta -- which sounds like a model from Ducati -- was also Italian.  Magellan didn't even make it past the Philippines.  When it comes to exploration, Italians rule!  Though I'm rather glad they didn't name this place Vespuccica  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:42:31 PM by DesertPilot »

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:56:03 PM »
That's a good video.  What camera did you use?  What camera mount did you use?
He lost the run of himself.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:56:03 PM »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »
A very cool documentary was done a few years ago called:  In the Footsteps of Marco Polo...you can find it on Youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bihnzET9Gv4

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 06:20:36 PM »
That's a good video.  What camera did you use?  What camera mount did you use?
Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  The camera was an old GoPro Hero 5 I bought to take hang gliding videos.  The mount was just the usual Teletubby setup on top of the helmet, mounted as far forward as I could get it without getting in the way of the modular bit.  I've attached a photo, with a bottle of wine -- an interesting Cabernet I got for She Who Must be Obeyed -- included for scale.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 07:49:17 PM »
True!  Though Columbus was from Genoa, so he was Italian too.  The first man to circumnavigate the globe, Pigafetta -- which sounds like a model from Ducati -- was also Italian.  Magellan didn't even make it past the Philippines.  When it comes to exploration, Italians rule!  Though I'm rather glad they didn't name this place Vespuccica  :grin:

Its becasue Magellan's Guzzi broke down and Piaggio refused to honor a warranty claim.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 08:00:39 PM »
Its becasue Magellan's Guzzi broke down and Piaggio refused to honor a warranty claim.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline jared p

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 02:01:34 AM »
Ah yes, going riding without a plan is one of my favorite things. Go wherever the random rights and left turns take me. Turns out there's always more fun roads closer than you think.
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 06:57:06 AM »
Great fun! When I moved to Wichita I spent quite a bit of time riding Butler Co. which is our largest county and just east of Wichita. The eastern half is quite nice riding. Anyway the county is crisscrossed with rural blacktops and just taking a road was how I basically learned all the roads. I can ride from home to Cedar Vale (120-150 miles) depending upon the route and only have to ride through two very little towns.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 11:25:31 AM »

I found out where that road went.

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »
My cousin and I did that in my ‘85 Chevy. It a solid axles, lift kit, 37s, and a vortec 350 out of a 97. Anyways we followed this pig trail through the mountains to see where it went and came out on the backside of the ranger training camp in Dahlonegah GA. The first sign we had that we were where we shouldn’t be was several platoons all kitted up about to board a couple of helicopters! We just eased out the gate with our “we’re totally supposed to be here” expressions then booked it away from there!!! That was pre sobriety.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 04:11:02 PM »
I lived a block or two behind the old lighthouse back in the 70's. My mom would park me at the cliff's edge and shimmy down with her "shortboard" to surf. That road look likes one of the many you'd find in Sonoma County, where I spent the majority of my childhood. I would love to take a few weeks cruising up and the Nor-Cal coast on two wheels. It's been too long since I've been home.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 06:41:50 AM »
A very cool documentary was done a few years ago called:  In the Footsteps of Marco Polo...you can find it on Youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bihnzET9Gv4

Looks like you have to pay to watch on YouTube for this one...not a subscriber, not free to me...maybe our library has it.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 08:54:52 AM »
This road is about 6 miles from the AZ border town of SASABE...and across the border is SASABE, Mexico.

json validator

Some images from that town...We did not travel there because the local Border Patrol told us: 

"You don't want to go down there...."   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here