Author Topic: NGC Another ride on the new RE 650 today  (Read 3395 times)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
NGC Another ride on the new RE 650 today
« on: April 22, 2021, 04:22:45 PM »
Where to ride on a new RE when you're in the mood for Indian food? The local Indian shopping plaza of course! My favorite is at the edge of the old Military Circle Mall in Norfolk VA. The owner loved the bike and came out to take selfies with it as I shopped (No, he didn't sit on it) Still finishing the break in so I stick to riding it the long way across town. Had to put gas in it today for the second time. 160 miles and the low fuel blinky came on. Just 2.2 gallons to fill it to the top. 72 mpg! I was impressed. Here's a shot of it out front of the

Indian shopping plaza
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
Re: NGC Another ride on the new RE 650 today
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
sidecarnutz

Can you picture the RE650 with a windshield , and large luggage , doing a cross country trip ? 

Or

Is it  more of a local bike with weekend adventures ?

:undecided:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:26:16 PM »
I am SO tempted to buy one of these...

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:13:57 AM »
Sweet ride!! RE running in AFT this season.
Did you know the Queen keeps her chickens in the Royal Hen Field !!! :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:13:57 AM »

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »
I had one but sold it this spring unfortunately. I did a 300 plus mile day on mine and was totally comfortable doing it. They are a very nice machine overall

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »
My bad knees don't allow me to sit long on the bike. I need breaks every 20 minutes or I get so stiff I'm in danger of not being able to get my feet back off the pegs to stop safely.

That said, I think the bike is outstanding. The suspension is perfect IMO for street use. Soaks up bumps and damps them right out. I weigh 250# and its a perfect solo bike. I have fork tube risers on the way so I can place the clip on's atop the triple tree vice under them as they are now. I'll need that more relaxed position for longer rides. Then I'll probably get a medium sized windshield for it. I really dislike large ones that I have to look thru. A medium one that deflects the blast to your forehead or above is what I prefer. Setup like that, I can ride all day comfortably. I'm almost done with the break in. The bike is really smooth and effortless at 65 mph. In retrospect, I probably should have got the Interceptor vice the GT. But I really liked the look of  the GT tank. Reminds me of an old Lemans that way. Luckily, there are factory and after market bits to adjust things just about any way you need. Moderately priced too! Right now with the more forward Interceptor foot controls on it and the stock clip on's, the bike feels a lot like my Mille' GT did with a lower superbike handlebar on it. And back 25 years ago, I rode that bike from SE VA. all the way up to Niagrara Falls for the Western NY Rally in 1996 with the MD rep Bill Sharp.

Much like my beloved old Mille' GT, I see this bike as a great Swiss Army knife of a bike I can enjoy in retirement. It IS very tourable. That said, I prefer back country blue line roads to Interstates. The luggage I have on it is good for solo camping and touring. I would have no trouble, except for my knees, cruising this all day at 55-65 mph. And it's very capable of smooth bursts to 80 to pass folks. (The counterbalancer works really well on this motor. Very smooth all over the rev range.) And with about 70 mpg hiway, I can go a couple hours between fuel stops. Frankly, I need to use rest rooms that often anyway and to stop and stretch. So it all works out. For those of you loving 80 on the interstates and going 4 hours between gas stops, I would say get a larger heavier bike. I have taken it for 6 mile blips down the interstate. No more than that because I am breaking it in. It's smooth and capable. But it is also small and light. 55" wheelbase and about 420#. Passing 18 wheelers will blow you around a bit. I see the bike as a sporty standard bike like my Mille' was. A really good all-arounder that brings smiles to your face on a winding road.

Now you whiners out there need to remember that is IS a chain drive! You'll need to lube it every few hundred miles and even (Gasp!) check it's slack and maybe adjust it. I know, horrors compared to a Guzzi shaft drive. ;-) But a chain is also much lighter and more efficient and helps a bike handle better than a heavy shaft does.

Hope this info was helpful.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 06:03:42 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 06:45:01 PM »
Nice ... congrats!

Here's mine after a few mods ... Dr Mayhem as is yours, but I changed out the tank for the 'Mister Clean' chrome/black, Zard silencers, Hitchcock headers, other small bits and pieces. Picture shows stock rear shocks which have since been changed out for fully adjustable Hagons (and are a bit less 'blingy').

Perfect companion to my '19 V7III Special!

So considering price as part of the equation what's your impressions of both bikes as far as fit for purpose and general quality and performance?

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 06:58:37 PM »
sidecarnutz

Can you picture the RE650 with a windshield , and large luggage , doing a cross country trip ? 

Or

I don't want to answer for sidecarnutz (sp?) but I think the 650 RE twins would be up to it.  Why?  A good riding buddy and myself did a 4000 + mile ride in 2006 on two Bonneville 790cc twins.  Cleveland OH to Cody WY by way of Albuquerque NM, Taos NM, Moab UT, north to Cody, and back to Cleveland OH.  One of the best bike rides I've been on.  The Bonnies might be slightly larger than the RE twins, but set up properly, I think the RE would be like time traveling back to the 1960s, when a 650cc bike was    'just right!'

Bob
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:00:00 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 07:16:08 PM »
sidecarnutz

Or

I find that an odd question really, What would make you think an 650cc 270 degree parallel twin Interceptor wouldn't be up to a cross country trip? It's gong to sit on 70-80MPH all day long with good economy and they have a reputation for being Bullet proof. You don't need some big displacement bike to tour comfortably on. I toured Europe twice for 3 months on a K100RS and accompanied a loaded up R800 BMW and a Guzzi Mk4 Le mans on each trip, both 2 up and loaded for 3 months on the road. They coped without any issues whatsoever, basically unfaired. I'd bet the Interceptor would be more competent than both of those bikes on tour.   

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:21:00 PM by lucky phil »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 07:29:14 PM »
Probably more a rhetorical question on reliability.  IMHO.   :tongue:  Quirks & irks.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 07:58:44 PM »
The bike really has no quirks or irks. It has been positively Honda like so far.

Started the break in maintenance when I got home this afternoon. Dropped the oil while it was hot and used a strap wrench on the filter. Very easy to service this stuff as it is all front and center. With the bike on my lift, it was a piece of cake to get into it. So the oil & filter got changed. Only the smallest amount of smooth tiny metal fines on the magnetic drain plug. A light sheen of silver in the used oil as I would expect from breaking in a 6 speed gear box with straight cut gears. As I poured off the used oil into a container for recycling there were NO surprises at the bottom of the drain pan. It took 3.25 quarts of Castrol synth MC oil 10w/50 to refill it. Cleaned an lubed the drive chain. Didn't need adjustment as it was still perfect with 35mm slack in it. Found my old cable lube device finally after dinner. I'll do the clutch and throttle cables tomorrow as I take the tank off to service the valves. Want to do those with it at room temp. I'll check the spark plug gaps while I have them out. Check for loose fasteners and she's all done for another 3k miles. And that check won't involve the valves. Valves get done every 6k. Much like a Guzzi, this bike has a very easy to work on layout. Puts everything in easy reach for service. The valve cover gasket is molded rubber and sits in a groove on the lid. Good for a couple uses at least and new ones are only $15. I already have a couple spares handy for just in case. Just like I used to keep spare Guzzi gaskets here for doing my services.

Did something riding today I hadn't done on this bike yet yet. Took a tight twisty road thru our village. It has curves like a go cart track. 25 zone, but that exciting enough for me. This bike is VERY flickable! Has sport bike steering geometry. I was really tickled with that. Also, had to run over a very rough set of RR tracks at 35 mph. Suspension damped it right out! I heard the DUM DUM as I crossed them more than I felt it. Did not not bottom the suspension and it just quietly did its job keeping the tires planted. I spend good money on my Mille' GT back in the 90's to upgrade it to work that well! When I got home I was ready to get off it. 90 minute ride with just red lights and stop signs for breaks. My knees and ankles were getting stiff! I tucked it in the shop for the oil change and then 15 minutes later the rain storm started! So I was pretty blessed today. Everything was going very right. Hope y'all had a good Saturday too!

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 09:01:23 PM »
Did most of the valve check today for break in maintenance. Tricky to pull the tank. Siphoned it down to the last half gallon. Seat off, rear tanks bolts off. Pull it back a couple inches off the front rubber stops. Then raise it at the back and lean it a bit to the right side. Gives you room to get your hands under it and pull the two electrical plugs, then two evap hoses and finally push the button on the quick connector to take the fuel line off the rail for the FI system. Now  the tank is off.
Easy to get the four little fasteners off the valve cover. Not so easy to slide it out. Took a larger evap hose loose at the cannister and pulled it forwards out of the way. Took out three little screws atop the frame that cradle the anti lock system between the frame rails. Raised the rear of that bracket 1/4" and that gave me clearance to get the valve cover off! Lots of this stuff in there rests close to the valve cover. So you struggle a bit for clearance to sneak it sideways out of there.
Remove plug on side of engine case to access the crank nut. Easy to turn with a socket to cycle the engine and check the clearances on the heels of the cam. 6 out of 8 were slightly snug. Screw and luck nut adjusters made that easy to fix. I'll double check them tomorrow before I button it back up. GTG for another 6k miles! While I'm at it, I'll buff up the cover and glue the gasket O ring into the groove on the cover to hold it in place while I get the cover back in there. Neatness counts! As well as making it easier to work on next time.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 09:32:44 PM »
Those are some very handsome saddlebags there!! :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 12:13:21 AM »
Thanks! They are heavy goat hide made in India for the bike. Each one holds a good shopping bag worth of groceries. They came well oiled too. Water resistant. Good enough for the use I give it.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Online jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 06:37:13 PM »

Much like my beloved old Mille' GT, I see this bike as a great Swiss Army knife of a bike I can enjoy in retirement....  (a) really good all-arounder that brings smiles to your face on a winding road.

I'm going to steal your descriptions above to use when I'm listing my Mille GT soon!
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 06:53:30 PM »
Be my guest! I doubt I'm the first to use those terms that way. My old Mille' GT was my favorite Guzzi for a long time!

Completed the break in maint. today on the new RE. Double checked the valves good. Polished up the valve cover and set the gasket in it. Slid that in and gently into place. Buttoned up. Plugs in, tank back on. Ignition on and checked for leaks and weeps in the fuel system. All good, started up. Perfect! let it idle for ten minutes to warm up and check for weeps & leaks and smells. All good. This bike is ready for summer now. We have a couple perfect days of weather here too. Can't wait to take a spin in the morning.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 06:01:01 AM »
And there are great looking side cars available too, if you ever need one:

It's a Watsonian Squire Meteor.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 09:23:11 PM »
I have a link to their importer. About $4k shipped to your door with hardware made to fit the bike.
I am thinking if saving up for one in case my grandkids want rides.

Correction. I am thinking of a Cozy sidecar, not the Watsonian above. That may cost more than my bike did!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 10:06:02 PM by sidecarnutz »

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 10:12:04 PM »
I took an Interceptor for a test ride yesterday.

Ciao

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 04:44:17 AM »
I have a link to their importer. About $4k shipped to your door with hardware made to fit the bike.
I am thinking if saving up for one in case my grandkids want rides.

Looking at the picture above.......$4k for the sidecar, right?

First thought was an RE650 for $4k!!!!!

happens when you start reading the newest post first.....
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »
And there are great looking side cars available too, if you ever need one:

It's a Watsonian Squire Meteor.

Cheers,
D.

OK, now THAT is one very nice looking sidecar rig!!! :thumb: :bow: :boozing: :cool: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 02:09:36 PM »
And they have Guzzi-proven ones too...
Almost makes me want one.

But sorry for pushing this thread a little off-track...

I'm looking forward to sidecarnutz' future RE 650 adventures.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline Momo

• New Egg
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 11:12:00 PM »
Interesting info as I've been thinking of buying a black Interceptor.  So far everything I read is positive and the price is certainly enticing, Larry

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 10:15:47 PM »
Came to the end of a finally successful break in maintenance today. It is a very tight fit to get the valve cover back on a RE 650 without screwing up the gasket under the cover. Bonding the gasket into the O ring groove under the cover IS the way to go to get it done. My first try left the cover spewing oil out two of the cover bolts. Second try had it spewing oil from the front right corner of the valve cover. Third try was the charm. A bit frustrating, but I have it down to a science now. If the gasket falls loose at all while you put the cover in, you're kinds screwed. I found that bonding it into the groove and then letting it dry about half way (45 min) had it stuck well enough to get it in there, but still wet enough that as you snugged the cover bolts, it gave a good smoosh to the sealant in the groove for a good seal.
Gave the bike a nice spirited 5 mile run this afternoon to check my work. Not a single spatter of oil anywhere this time. Not as easy to do as a Guzzi, but not too bad once you get the techniques down.
It was a bunch of fun to rev it up to 5k this afternoon. There is a nice rush of torque from 3 to 5 k rpm. Linear and even. makes me grin well!

12 days until my knee replacement. So now it is squared away for summer and will be part of my PT as I recover in June!  :thumb:
Tomorrow I have my local Guzzi buddy coming by and I'll be working on putting fork gaiters on the bike. Should be fun. Have a full pot of coffee ready to brew in the am!

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 02:36:34 AM »
Today. Running out of workshp space

Ciao

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »
Personally, I think both the Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor and the modern Triumph Bonneville are two of the coolest retro bikes on the market today.

Of course, we all know the V7 / V9 Moto Guzzi model line is ALREADY way cool... :boozing: :cool: :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 08:40:38 PM »
CPL Foggy. Thank you for taking the time to write all that up! Very interesting!
I have some risers here now to put the clip-ons above the triple tree. That should relax my riding position a bit. I'll mount my rubber fork gaiters when I do that job.
Hoping now for one more ride Monday or Tuesday. Wednesday I get the knee done. Probably no more riding for me for like 5-6 weeks!

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »
Aw man. If I had held off getting mine in March, I'd have just gone for yours yours. Love the way you optioned it up. Very capable GT there! Aw well. I was anxious to buy. I paid full sticker. Still happy with what I have.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
Interesting info as I've been thinking of buying a black Interceptor.  So far everything I read is positive and the price is certainly enticing, Larry

I bought a '21 Interceptor in black several months ago.  $6820 out the door at TJ's Cycles, Austin, TX.  It is a blast.  Usable power, top-shelf build quality, comfortable ergos and three year unlimited miles warranty and roadside assistance included in price.  I like it a lot.

One great bonus with the Enfield is that I am not overwhelmed by its weight (473# topped off) and with a very light 2 into I TEC "Stinger" exhaust I have substituted its weight is under 450#.  The OEM exhaust is beautiful and quiet but heavy as a manhole cover at 37#.  The TEC weighs 9.5# and that lost 27# is very noticeable and all to the good.  My only gripe is that the suspension on both ends barely (if at all) moves under my 134#.  I am running softer springs at both ends, but apparently not soft enough.  Time to call IKON.

For a treat, watch "A tour of the Royal Enfield factory at Ongadaram".  Two young men do the hand striping for all bikes so equipped.  Other than that, the factory is a marvel of carefully-controlled mass production and clever organization. 

These bikes are not your father's Royal Enfields!

Ralph
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:29:36 PM by krglorioso »
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here