Author Topic: Any fans of "Zen and the art of m/c maintenance"? I could use some here pls  (Read 11644 times)

Offline izzug otom

• Gaggle Mentor
John  and Roy, what can I say............. I feel really humbled by your patience and good will, thanks so much guys.

Seriously guys, you've really been great and helped me so much in my quest to get to the bottom of things, and the issue now seems to be solved!!  :boozing: :boozing:

I do still have a cough and misfire on decceleration, but I realise that's not connected to the poor running issues and engine cutting/dying on acceleration,and had been a bit of a red herring. I haven't been for a very long ride, but far enough to notice a huge consistant difference for the better. I'm pretty sure the miss on decceleration is down to the holes in the exhaust, or possibly the carb slides are a little out of balance. I'll run her on tick over for a minute or so when the engine is warmed and just check the plug on the left compared with the right if it's lean or rich. I'm guessing a bit on the lean side myself. I'll check the balancing of course.

I'm not very happy with the quality of the bullet connectors I ordered, so I'll be re-doing those connections in the very near future.

I have to say, it also improves the, albeit scruffy, look of my Cali considerably, especially from the riders perspective, with a proper ignition switch fitted to the dash, instead of the hole with ugly wiring/connection. I had to do a little filing for it to be a snug fit, but not much effort. What do you think . . . . . . . err . . . . . . other than the rust on the chrome work etc? ;)

DSCF2833" border="0

I really never got why the original clocks and were so big and dominating. It felt quite strange, but I couldn't get over how much smaller the bike feels without the bulk up there when riding, and why the need for a rev counter on a Cali anyway........ does anyone actually look at them on such a bike, other than to see te needle move? I mean surely people don't really use the rev counter as an indication as to when to change up a gear?

I just never did get that, always assumed it was an fashion accessory for boys with toys, although that's probably a harsh view of it really!  :wink: .

Cheers guys, you're truly stars in my book.  :bow:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:38:36 AM by izzug otom »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Hi Marty

RESULT!!!!

Glad I could help some, Roy is the real genius, I consider myself more of a happy amateur

You persevered and asked questions that's what the forum is all about, WG has IMHO probably the best experts on the brand (myself excluded)

Always nice to see a positive outcome and another Goose on the road

As for the Rev counter, the Cali can make a surprisingly sporty tool, if it's ridden the right way she can really pick up her skirts and fly. I used to know a guy who had one who could put distance between me and himself on one and I was on a Daytona at the time (much to my embarrassment).

Oh bike looks good to me, that's just a bit of patina

Remember to PM if you decide to make that trip up north

John

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
the Cali can make a surprisingly sporty tool, if it's ridden the right way

Yep, slide forward on the seat, keep the needle pointing at about 6, relax, and let it do it's thing.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline izzug otom

• Gaggle Mentor

You persevered and asked questions that's what the forum is all about, WG has IMHO probably the best experts on the brand (myself excluded)

Always nice to see a positive outcome and another Goose on the road

It feels so natural that we should all be operating in this way instinctively, the sharing of knowlege to help one an other to get along, but it doesn't seem to be the way of the world these days, and time is pressured for so many and hard to find spare for some people. I always participate in doing so in my main areas of expertise, photography and music, when I can help, and spend time mentoring people who want to learn and develop their skills.

As for the Rev counter, the Cali can make a surprisingly sporty tool, if it's ridden the right way she can really pick up her skirts and fly.

Yeah, I do like to nail her myself sometimes, but surely we still mostly ride and change gears by feel, vibration and tone of the engine, especially when going lickety split down a winding road I mean who's got time to take their eyes off the tarmac?  :wink:

Oh bike looks good to me, that's just a bit of patina

Remember to PM if you decide to make that trip up north

John

Patina is bang on for this ex antique furniture restorer/dealer. Mind you I've acquired some patina myself since those days. ;)

It's looking unlikely that the guys I was planning the trip with are going to be able to make it, kids and ex's to arrange. I might take a ride up myself, but might work out best for me if it's very late Sept if the weather holds out.

I lived in Wishaw for a few years in my very early yrs. I have no great desire to go there of course. I remember getting the 2 or 3 tailed leather strap at junior school, no wonder yer all 'as hard as' up there. I've always fancied visiting Glasgow though, never been there or Edinburgh yet. I love the East coast up there too. Crail, St Monnans.

I've always fancied doing the coast of the UK with a rule of always using the nearest through road to the coastline at all times. I took a look at that on the map and though "feck, that's going to take months, and even then done in segments .... meaning I'll probably never do it. I'd like to start it though all thee same. The coast of Scotland would be a fab trip in fine weather..... have you done much of it ........ PM would be better I guess.

Cheers Mart

Wildguzzi.com

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Back in'2015, I left London and just whacked John O'Groats in the Tom Tom and followed it.
Up there it's all beautiful..
Ya' can't lose no matter what you do. I didn't get to Glasgee, but have not given up.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
The coast of Scotland would be a fab trip in fine weather..... have you done much of it ........ PM would be better I guess.

Cheers Mart

Only in a car Martin many years back wifey and me went up one side, across the top and down the other, more or less.

My take is that the east coast is pretty, but the west is where you want to be, some stunning scenery especially up Ullapool way. Unfortunately the NW 500 has alerted everybody to it and I've heard it's a lot busier than it used to be. When I was up we had the roads to ourselves a good deal of the time

Glasgow is no great shakes it's a former industrial town, some pretty bits, but what city hasn't?

The Uni

Park & Trinity

Errinborro is the pretty girl of Scottish cities ("The Paris of the North" and all that)

Couple of pictures from Nelson Memorial

The main advantages of Glasgow are it's a reasonably big city, so all the amenities but good roads & scenery about 20 miles out, so simply going out for a day on the scoot can be a fabby experience

Parts of the borders are really nice too, not nearly so far to travel and I've been told by a mate who lives down there that there are a lot of empty roads

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here