Author Topic: Inner Tubes - what model?  (Read 297 times)

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
Inner Tubes - what model?
« on: April 23, 2024, 07:39:31 PM »
I'm trying to understand what type of inner tube I need for a 2014 v7.  I see "type 1, type 2, type 3" and I also see "Type A, Type B, Type C etc". I suspect this has to do with the valve size and position?

I think the diameter I need is easier to figure out based on the tire size but does anyone know what the other specs are that I need to order?  All the websites I've seen have generic photos so it's not much help.

Thanks
James

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Inner Tubes - what model?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 11:12:11 PM »
I haven’t ordered tubes yet that didn’t fit, but I do recollect seeing the various valve stem types mentioned in those descriptions. Anyway, I just tend to order the same size tube as the tire, although I often times will just buy an 18 and not a 17, as the 18 can often be used for the rear as well. Looking forward to someone clarifying the type demarcation.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 02:11:36 AM »
I like having a 90-degree valve stem, makes it easier to check air pressure and fill air.

I would not recommend using a tube too big, be that in diameter or size, because it can cause wrinkels that again can chafe against the inner walls of the tire that over time can lead to a blow-out. YMMV. Nor would I use a tube that is too small, because it will over-stretch and hence become weaker. Of course, in a pinch, one would fit whatever could take you home, but then with caution until the correct tube could be fitted.

Another preference is natural rubber tubes. They do have one downside compared to butyl tubes in that they do leak a little air all the time, requiring more frequent checking of air pressure. However, natural rubber rarely rupture when punctured, wheres butyl virtually always rupture. In case of a puncture, the natural rubber gives you more warning before going flat, whereas the butyl tend to deflate instantly, which can lead to a crash if unlucky.

Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 06:30:10 AM »
Absolutely what be just said.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 06:30:10 AM »

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 01:24:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies. So it looks like we need the TR-4 stem for our wheels instead of the TR-11 stem.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 05:01:21 PM »
Make sure you add a tire/tube sealant to slow a puncture air leak.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here