Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 399845 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
Looks like Guzzi made the engines, and Hunter or a subcontractor did the rest.  I've never had a smallblock but suppose they have the same generation alternator as the big blocks, and then the small nose will fit.

Did you get any parts manual with it or other documentation? 

Boy, I wish.. a fair amount of internet searching has turned up nothing. This certainly doesn't look like it will fit the Ducati alternator.. different taper and no keyway. Major bummer there.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
Stupid Question:  Why not leave the big Bosch alternator in place ?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »
Stupid Question:  Why not leave the big Bosch alternator in place ?
I haven't measured, but I imagine the front wheel would hit it. Not to mention, it'd be seriously ugly.  ;D From what reading I've done on it from guys like Iceblue and Dogwalker, I had visions of it being made of mostly stock 750 Guzzi parts. Plug and play with a little tinkering. Maybe not.. more pix to follow. A stock Guzzi crank was certainly on my wish list.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
So, let's have a peek.. ;D
Uh oh, non standard oil filter.. a UFI 25-558-00. A quick search gives it on several sites, but nothing in 'Merican.  ;) That means that the spacer is not an add on. Probably. We'll pull the pan and have a look, anyway.

Uh oh. My memory isn't terribly good, but the bottom half of the crankcase looks "different". It may be like the intake castings, they *look* similar.

At any rate, I'll not be able to do away with the spacer/oil cooler, as I'd hoped. What a Guzzi engine that's run on the street doesn't need is more cooling. ;D
Now, I'll have to find some shop manuals and do some measuring. Hopefully, I can still use the top end.<sigh>
I pulled a valve cover before coming in just for grins and checked the valve clearances. .008" and .010. Pretty much what you'd expect on an engine that is designed to run WFO all it's life..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
I can send you the workshop manual and parts list of the ie v7 engines, that has pictures from parts to compare. For generator the rank is there straight, not tappered. And looks longer then yours. Some people used small ducati racing alternators in cases like this. I see bottom engine is different too, where in almost center have the angled piece sticking out, thats not in the normal engine
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:25:50 PM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
I can send you the workshop manual and parts list of the ie v7 engines, that has pictures from parts to compare. For generator the rank is there straight, not tappered. And looks longer then yours. Some people used small ducati racing alternators in cases like this. I see bottom engine is different too, where in almost center have the angled piece sticking out, thats not in the normal engine

Right. That was my first clue after the non standard oil filter.  ;D Thanks, Paul.. but not yet. Let me delve a little deeper first. Interesting stuff...

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
How many degrees from vertical can you go, roughly?

Not certain but I've been tipping them pretty much as far as physically possible since day 1 (36 years and counting !)
Concentric was Amal's term, theory being you don't run out of gas leaning into corners like a monobloc (remote chamber).
Of course there is a limit (upside down in a plane for instance) but you're only looking at a few degrees to clear knees, nothing like full lean, pegs on deck angle
Boy, I wish.. a fair amount of internet searching has turned up nothing. This certainly doesn't look like it will fit the Ducati alternator.. different taper and no keyway. Major bummer there.

Not the Bosch taper ? looks similar (early small block, Tonti BB pre 90's) no keyway on them

Oil Cooler could be bypassed with hose joining in and out ports to save any inside engineering

Keep it coming Chuck, this thing will be special.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »
Keep it coming Chuck, this thing will be special.

Thanks for the encouragement, Martin. I'm a little down right now.. I will check out the Bosch taper.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:20 AM »
Uh oh. My memory isn't terribly good, but the bottom half of the crankcase looks "different". It may be like the intake castings, they *look* similar.
Uhmmm...
apart from the spacer, it still seems standard stuff to me.

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2014, 05:36:12 AM »
looks like they fitted a spacer to be able to fit a oil cooler?
guzzi did the same when building the djerba off road bikes.

keep the pics coming , i am jealous, what a engine.
a 70 hp smallblock , that should be fun on the road...

hubert

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2014, 07:51:37 AM »
Uhmmm...
apart from the spacer, it still seems standard stuff to me.

Ooh, those pictures are worth a thousand words. I've mentioned before that I'm *not* a Guzzi mechanic, and haven't had the bottom end of a small block apart before. When I didn't see what I expected, I jumped to conclusions.  ;D As they say in the NFL, "Upon further review" that crank taper just might be for the old Bosch alternator. That would make it even easier.  ;D Looking back through my Lario pictures, the end of the cam looks similar, too.. Fingers crossed.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
As they say in the NFL, "Upon further review" that crank taper just might be for the old Bosch alternator.
It seems probable.

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2014, 11:30:35 AM »
This is a neat thread.  Hemi heads for the V7, WTH Guzzi, what is the down side?  I'm missing something.

On the 36mm carbs, if gasket still fits, slot the holes.  Ruins the carbs, but.

I flew the "Eagle" ultralight out of Waco Texas, a few years ago (1979?).  It used a 250cc rotax upside down as a pusher, plug wire vibrated off one day.  I was plenty high, engine kept windmilling while I reached back and slapped the plug wire back on.  Lots of fields to put down a 30mph ultralight in the area, so no worries.

example of Eagle:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:35:17 AM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »

Chuck

This module with 7 pins looks exactly like the ICU-Ignition Control Unit, on my 82 Beemer. I'm sure that won't make you happy.
This same type ICU was used on 80's Volkswagen Jetta and other models. At least on the beemer it receives a signal from a hall effect sensor that operates in what we call a bean can. When the hall sensor sees a gap in the timing wheel it sends a signal to the ICU ( which is really just a signal amplifier ) that cuts the current to the coils to produce the spark

I don't know how that would help you with this engine but just sayin'
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »
Has anyone ever been successful getting documentation from this website specified by Guzziology?

I cannot make heads or tails from it.

http://www.ncweb.it/default.asp

Also, since Northrop owns the system now after purchase from TRW, they may have the guzzi documentation.
Think I am getting about as close to the classified stuff as I may.  

Contact info at bottom of the last news release on this link (upper right)
http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/MQ5BHunter/Pages/default.aspx
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:36:15 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »
Has anyone ever been successful getting documentation from this website specified by Guzziology?

I cannot make heads or tails from it.

http://www.ncweb.it/default.asp

Also, since Northrop owns the system now after purchase from TRW, they may have the guzzi documentation.
Think I am getting about as close to the classified stuff as I may.  

Contact info at bottom of the last news release on this link (upper right)
http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/MQ5BHunter/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks for that. The info on the site is about the diesel Hunter, but I sent an email to them, anyway. Maybe something will come of it..or not.  ;D Didn't even have time to look at it today, but I'm cautiously optimistic, now.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2014, 02:58:01 AM »
I flew the "Eagle" ultralight out of Waco Texas, a few years ago (1979?).  It used a 250cc rotax upside down as a pusher, plug wire vibrated off one day.  I was plenty high, engine kept windmilling while I reached back and slapped the plug wire back on.  Lots of fields to put down a 30mph ultralight in the area, so no worries.

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2014, 05:50:07 AM »
I flew the weedhopper, John Chotia's 2 stroke engine.  Pretty simple compared to the above ^^^^.

Looking at the trike above (posted by Dogwalker), reminds me of the day a young fellow showed up at my little country airport with a new trike and his hangglider.  He had started Baylor, moved from N.M. I believe and flew his hangglider there.  He wanted to keep flying so bought the trike.

Never flew it before and I had never seen one.  Gets it all together and takes off!  What a sight with the trike dangling all over the place while he wrestled with control.  Made a pattern and landed, never saw him again after that, but that was something to see.  Wished I had a video of that takeoff.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:24:16 AM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »
Hey, a Weed chopper..  ;D Haven't seen one of those in a long time.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »
Good to see that aero engine in detail!

I reckon that if you tried to build an Ippogrifo V7 replica, you could name your price ;D

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »
Good to see that aero engine in detail!

I reckon that if you tried to build an Ippogrifo V7 replica, you could name your price ;D

No doubt.. as long is was low, if I expected to sell it.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Ok, I've officially decided to put it in the Beater Lario (tm).
Chad, The mayor of bbq graciously offered to *give* me his V65 as a donor bike  :o so I'd get my buns in gear.

It would have been a great one to use, but.. as I've said before.. if you look for issues in an old machine, you *will* find them. I've already gone through the Lario from stem to stern, and would't hesitate to ride it across the country. That was documented in the Lario Rehab thread, and it took a fairly long time. I'm hoping that the engine swap project is shorter lived.
Thanks again, Chad! I certainly appreciate it. Gotta love the Guzzi community.. ;-T
So. The Lario was up in the Guzzi Garage, and it needs to come down to the shop. I *hate* to start up an air cooled engine without fully bringing it up to operating temperature, so I thought, "Oh, I'll just push it down there." There's snow covering the tall grass. The wind is blowing in my face at about 30 knots. Seriously. The 20 knot wind sock was standing straight out, and the tail was popping up and down. I get it down to the hanger apron which is ice covered  ::) and the wind starts blowing the bike (and me) sideways. Fortunately, I was able to get the kick stand down without either of us falling down.  ;D Have I mentioned it is ridiculously cold? About this time, I noticed that I was puffing and blowing like a steam engine. Thought, "You dumbass, that's how old farts meet the grim reaper." I'll remember that when I get old.. ~;  :BEER:
At any rate, I managed to get the hanger door up without it blowing off the tracks, and pushed it in.  ;)

Started boxing

bagging

and organizing aero engine accessories in case some archaeologist wonders what they are some day..

Once I get this stuff stored, and the reloading press (gun content)  ;) off the workbench, we'll get started.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re:
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
:) Now you won't have to split your time with the Lario and another small block!

Maybe mount the prop drive on the 4v mill and use the aero subframe to mount it on a wall for display?

Have fun!

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
Yes Chuck!

Get

Your

Buns

In

Gear!

;D ;D
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
Buns engaged.. ;D
Alrighty, now! Time to start mixing and matching..

The transmission bolts right up. I'm *assuming* parts from the Lario clutch will fit in the Aero gizmo.  ;)

The crankshaft taper *is* for the old Bosch alternator. This will make mating the charging system with the Lario a no brainer..the kind I'm best at.  ;D

However, the nose of the cam is decidedly different from the old small block cam. I *could* fit up some kind of ignition, but I *really* want to use the original advance plate, and the mechanical tach drive. I love the old white face Veglias, especially the big ones.  ;D Somehow, I need to put the old style cam in the new engine. Looking through the old and new shop manuals, I can find no reference to cam stuff. Time to get on the horn to Ed, I think..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:22 AM »
 :pop
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #206 on: November 21, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
[/URL]
However, the nose of the cam is decidedly different from the old small block cam. I *could* fit up some kind of ignition, but I *really* want to use the original advance plate, and the mechanical tach drive. I love the old white face Veglias, especially the big ones.  ;D Somehow, I need to put the old style cam in the new engine. Looking through the old and new shop manuals, I can find no reference to cam stuff. Time to get on the horn to Ed, I think..

Since there's no place to mount a "points plate" (or Dyna S, etc.) on that timing cover, maybe use the one off of the Lario engine or buy another small-block one? I'd bet a V65 (C or SP) cam might swap right in too, though whether it will be optimum for the hemi-heads is in question. Custom grind might be in the cards. Ed will be the best source for info. there.
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
Since there's no place to mount a "points plate" (or Dyna S, etc.) on that timing cover, maybe use the one off of the Lario engine or buy another small-block one? I'd bet a V65 (C or SP) cam might swap right in too, though whether it will be optimum for the hemi-heads is in question. Custom grind might be in the cards. Ed will be the best source for info. there.

Oh, yeah.. I was planning on using the front accessory case from the Lario. I just stuck the rotor on to make sure the crank taper was the same. I've sent Ed an email.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
Chuck must it be a points ignition? Because when you use the sensors your have, you can use an electronic ignition with them. Ignitec( http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky ) from Tsjechia comes to mind, they have a small unit they can programm for any engine.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »
Chuck must it be a points ignition? Because when you use the sensors your have, you can use an electronic ignition with them. Ignitec( http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky ) from Tsjechia comes to mind, they have a small unit they can programm for any engine.

It wouldn't *have* to use the original ignition, but I *really* like the big white faced Veglia tach, and it's strictly mechanical. I'd lose that..
Thanks for your input, though. I still may have to go that way..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:54:00 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here