Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398526 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »
Well, I fussed, figured, fooled around, and measured some more. Brought in the new Valeo from the Aero engine hoping it was smaller. Nope, it's bigger.

Oh well, there's a time in every project when a guy needs to shoot the engineer and commence production.  ;D Normally, I'd just go up to the house and drag Dorcia down to be a portable welding fixture, but in her delicate condition I didn't have the heart. She'd have done it, but I rigged up a way of temporarily holding things while I tacked it.

Finally. Tacked and it looks like there might even be room for some kind of air cleaners. That would be good..

I've mentioned before that if you look for trouble in an old machine you'll find it. Right? I saw some of my new two year old paint missing, looked above it and there's the brake master cylinder. It was low on fluid. I suppose it's cracked.. <sigh>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2015, 03:27:39 PM »
Ah, somebody else who knows the proper application of the phrase " shoot the engineer ". Too bad about the master cylinder.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »
Just wondering, are you keeping a record of the hours you are working on the project?

It would be an interesting point for the average guy to know how much it would cost to get someone like you to do it.

& Wouldn't you get even more room for air cleaners if you shorten the intake manifolds?

sl0rider

« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
Chuck, just wanted to say that despite only understanding about 7% of what you are doing, I'm loving following your work, and especially reading your writing about it! Thanks for taking the time to share it!

Also, all the very best for you and Dorcia. My 9 year old son has about six weeks to go before his cancer treatment is complete, after close to a year of it, and we will be very thankful that it's over and hoping that there is no recurrence. We also have friends, the wife with breast cancer. It's a tough process to go through and I really feel for both of you. Wishing you well.

Paul

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »
Just wondering, are you keeping a record of the hours you are working on the project?

It would be an interesting point for the average guy to know how much it would cost to get someone like you to do it.

& Wouldn't you get even more room for air cleaners if you shorten the intake manifolds?

Not very many hours so far, I'm going to guess about 30-35 spread out over an hour here an hour there, but I wouldn't consider doing it for someone else. I spent 12 years building an airplane for someone else. Everyone is allowed one lapse in judgement.  ;D
I would have *loved* to shorten the intake manifolds. That's what I spent most of the time today trying to do. The carb on the s'not dis side is just too big to clear the starter, no matter what I tried. As it is, there is *just* enough room for the choke cable to clear the frame.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #485 on: January 09, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
Chuck, just wanted to say that despite only understanding about 7% of what you are doing, I'm loving following your work, and especially reading your writing about it! Thanks for taking the time to share it!

Also, all the very best for you and Dorcia. My 9 year old son has about six weeks to go before his cancer treatment is complete, after close to a year of it, and we will be very thankful that it's over and hoping that there is no recurrence. We also have friends, the wife with breast cancer. It's a tough process to go through and I really feel for both of you. Wishing you well.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread.  ;D WE will be fine.  ;D She's a tough old bird <looking over shoulder> and improving every day..
Best of luck to you and your kid. That would be really tough..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #486 on: January 09, 2015, 06:48:58 PM »
Nice to see an old school depth gage used - next you'll be telling me I'm not the only one who knows how to use vernier instruments.

My favorite 6 and 12 inch calipers are verniers made by Scherr-Tumico, and have 0.050" vernier scales rather than the more common 0.025" ones.  The other side is metric and the vernier covers a full millimeter.  After using dial calipers and digital calipers, the benefit of not having to keep checking zero far outweighs having to read the vernier.

I'm patiently waiting for the dyno curves too, Chuck.   :)

When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #487 on: January 09, 2015, 07:38:45 PM »
My favorite 6 and 12 inch calipers are verniers made by Scherr-Tumico, and have 0.050" vernier scales rather than the more common 0.025" ones.  The other side is metric and the vernier covers a full millimeter.  After using dial calipers and digital calipers, the benefit of not having to keep checking zero far outweighs having to read the vernier.

I'm patiently waiting for the dyno curves too, Chuck.   :)

Verniers? Gots em. 24 inch calipers & Height gauge. Dyno?? Forget that. Costs money..I'll give you a seat of the pants dyno report, though.  ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #488 on: January 09, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »
Verniers? Gots em. 24 inch calipers...

If I have something to measure that's 24" long, I just use my 12" caliper twice.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #489 on: January 09, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
I have 12 inches but I don't use it as a rule.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #490 on: January 09, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
12" = 1 foot. I got two of them! ;D

Great thread Chuck. Really enjoying your approach and really appreciate your engineering skills.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #491 on: January 10, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
As usual this is great work.

I also like my mimi lathe and will get a smaller mill one of these days.  The 12x36 and larger mill just were too big for my small shop.  And I found most of my work was in smaller stuff anyway.

I also inherited my wife's grandfather's measuring tools, and the oak chest he used.  All are Starrett.  Nice stuff.  He was the guy who kept all the saw blades sharp at the piano factory.  First and only time I ever saw a left and right handed hammer set.  (for tuning round saw blades)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
As usual this is great work.

I also like my mimi lathe and will get a smaller mill one of these days.  The 12x36 and larger mill just were too big for my small shop.  And I found most of my work was in smaller stuff anyway.

I also inherited my wife's grandfather's measuring tools, and the oak chest he used.  All are Starrett.  Nice stuff.  He was the guy who kept all the saw blades sharp at the piano factory.  First and only time I ever saw a left and right handed hammer set.  (for tuning round saw blades)

I've mentioned before that having the proper tool is more than half the job.. all my machinist tools are Starrett and Lufkin. Yeah, they're antiques, too.. along with the boxes they go in.  ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2015, 03:32:42 PM »
Just bought a nice new 17" floor drill press today with some nice spindle travel... at a good discount (GC).  ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #494 on: January 11, 2015, 03:06:58 AM »
A mill is what my shed is missing now. The welder I got on Trademe last year works beautifully; combination MIG/Tig /stick.

However, I think it would be a case of  :wife: if I push for that at this stage after my years spending spree. :D Must admit Chuck, it is nice having the gear. ;-T
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »
As the line goes, "A man has got to know his limitations."  ;D Since I had cataract surgery and bifocal implants, my eyes are now very slow to adapt to changing light conditions. My delicate arc welding days are over. When you strike an arc on thin wall tubing, you had better be able to see the puddle or your day will take a down turn.  ;) It's 3 or 4 seconds before I can see what is happening. Off to see my gearhead friend Scott, who runs Speedcraft welding and fabrication.  He does fussy things for me like repairing aluminum aircraft fuel tanks. After the usual preliminaries,  ;D he said, " I hear through the grapevine that you have a Monocoupe project.. that's my favorite airplane. How about I weld these up for you and bring them out tomorrow and have a look?" Nice work, as usual.

I'd taken the machining fixture to bolt it down on while welding, and it barely warped.  ;-T
While he was in the shop, I showed him my stainless exhaust flanges and mild steel exhaust. Asked him if he could weld them, too. "Sure. I'm going racing out west tomorrow, but I'll be back later in the week." Alrighty, now. That'll save me some hassle. I'll just saw these suckers off..

Counterbore them for a light tap fit on the exhaust pipe, do a little calculatin on how much exhaust pipe to cut off..  ;D

Bead blast.. TIG absolutely hates contamination.. DON'T forget to put the clamp on..  :o and it's ready to weld.

Time to start figuring out what I need for throttle cables.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »
You go Chuck!  A man with your hair can do anyting!! :)  :BEER: 
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »
You go Chuck!  A man with your hair can do anyting!! :)  :BEER: 

True.. true..  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #498 on: January 13, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »
I understand about the puddle and light and eyes.  Would MIG not have worked?  It seems less dependent on that startup 'blackout' I get when striking an arc.  I have also been known to 'cheat'.  Start the bead on the thicker flange part and run it to where the thinner metal joins.  Ugly but it has worked for me.  Grinding wheel is my friend :)  Especially for not so good welding skills.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #499 on: January 13, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »
I understand about the puddle and light and eyes.  Would MIG not have worked?  It seems less dependent on that startup 'blackout' I get when striking an arc.  I have also been known to 'cheat'.  Start the bead on the thicker flange part and run it to where the thinner metal joins.  Ugly but it has worked for me.  Grinding wheel is my friend :)  Especially for not so good welding skills.

Don't have MIG any more. I sold it when I stole  ;D the Miller 351 many years ago. Yeah, I can still weld thick stuff with it, I just strike an arc, wait wait, AHAH..there's the puddle.. but on thin stuff that I don't want to warp with too much heat I'll swallow my pride and call in the pro. Same on the exhaust. I could braze stainless to mild steel, but it takes someone that knows what they are doing to TIG weld it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #500 on: January 15, 2015, 11:27:37 AM »
Yesterday morning before Driving Miss Daisy to her last appointment with the oncologist  ;D ;D she'll be on Tamoxifen for 5 years, and should be ok.. ;D ;D Thanks for all the well wishes by the way.. it's meant a lot. I decided to see what it would take to put the chin fairing on. I know.. it's a PITA because you have to take it off to change the oil filter, which means you have to drop the exhaust down.. ::) but it's another of the 80s sportbike styling cues that I like. <shrug>

The Aero engine sump is about 1/2 inch deeper, so I'll have to make new mounts for the fairing.

Now if I joined the 21st century <snapping suspenders> I'd just take this file to someone with a laser, and it would be done. That would cost something, though (Guzzi content) so, I'll just cut them on the mill.

Looking at Guzziology, Dave says that the perfect throttle cables for the 36mm carbs on a Lario are the standard cables for the early Euro T5 p/n 28 11 75 00. No problemo, I'll just get some. I hate fooling with throttle cables. Uh, searching for that part number reveals zilch. Nada. So, I did some careful measuring (I hope) cut off the end of the cable, pulled it back out of the way and shortened the housing. Stopped by the big bicycle shop in Indy while Driving Miss Daisy, and bought a couple of cable ends and ferrules. 54 cents. (Guzzi content)  ;D

Still need to stop by Stan the hardware man's place and get 4 thin metric nuts to silver solder on the back of the fairing mounts.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #502 on: January 15, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
Hmm, looked at M.I. and M.G. oh well, no matter, I've already cut the housings. Found some 1/8" brass, a needle from an old Posa airplane carb that I'd been experimenting with 30 years ago.  ::) Probably it would be more useful being a Lario carb part. The cable is .051", so I drilled .055" and countersank both ends. Tiny little stuff, this...

Plugged in my antique (naturally) soldering iron to warm up while I was putting the little brass pieces on the cables and sticking a scriber in the end to flare out the cable.

What's up with this? The soldering iron isn't getting hot? Opened up the plug.
[
Felt like I was in an Ichibon how not to do it video.  ;D The iron was an antique when I bought it, so you can't blame me for this one.. ;) Rummaged through my good electrical junk box and found a plug that might be a tad better.

Most problems with soldering is having an iron that just doesn't have enough heat. The other is the wrong kind of flux. Work like this calls for acid core solder and acid flux. Apply heat to one side of the piece, and solder to the other. It will flow by capillary action, and give a good joint.

That'll finish up the throttle cables. Total cost? Still 54 cents.  ~;

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #503 on: January 15, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
That is how I work, gotta fix stuff before I can get on the project at hand.  Love it.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #504 on: January 16, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »
Ya know, I was thinking that probably I might need to eventually tune these carbs. It would be handy to be able to put my carb sticks on and balance them.. so while I was at Stan's, I picked up a couple of grease fittings. I don't know why I knew that they were vacuum ports in disguise.. probably read it here. So.. I used my Ichybon Bad Ass Cafe Racer Multi tool (you Are a fan, right)  ;D to hold them while I made sparks. Sparks are important when you are building a Bad Ass Cafe Racer. I've seen it on the internet.  ;D :BEER:

Here's what is inside.
Just a spring and a check ball. Be prepared for the spring to jump into the snag grinder as it breaks through. No big deal.

Eyeballed where it needed to be, center punched, drilled #3, a tap drill for 1/4-28, and tapped..

Ta da..

That would probably be good enough, but a little silver solder will make sure. When I got this jar of flux, I thought it would be a lifetime supply. Maybe it was more than enough.. ::)  ;D

At any rate, silver soldering has to be clean to work. Bead blast is good, then apply the flux liberally. Oxyacetylene torch with a little excess acetylene feather. Keep the heat on the thickest part and don't take the flame away. That keeps the impurities out. Dip the silver solder in the flux, and just touch what you want to solder before it gets to be a dull red. It'll flow out and you are done.

Takes considerably less time to do it than to tell about it.  ;) Excess flux looks like glass and can be removed with water. Bead blast after, and it's ready for paint.
While I was at Stan's the hardware mans, I picked up some 6 mm nuts and bolts to weld to the chin fairing mounts. Unfortunately, he didn't have anything but plated hardware. You *don't* want to weld plated stuff.. heavy metals that go straight to your liver. Trust me. So.. back to the bead blast cabinet to get rid of the plating.
Ready to weld the nuts on..

Even my vision challenged eyes will be able to do this one. Soldering here is not a good idea. It wold flow right into the threads and make an "assembly.''  ;D
I *love* making stuff.
Oh, while the manifolds are off, I don't think I've shown the inside of the head. It's very well done, but hard to take a photo of. Using my flashlight and camera flash, you can sorta see. Luigi or his cousin has been at it with abrasive mops and a die grinder. It's not just a bare casting.  ;-T

More tomorrow. Don't change that channel.. ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #505 on: January 16, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
What's the matter Chuck; don't trust your ears?  :P
Nice job. Purty intakes. You may have to get some real brakes on that bike now. Ever thought about 2 pots up front?  Easy peasy for you. I've got the recipe if you want it. Just mentioning during this moment of weakness for you thinking a little outside the box and all from stock.
 ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #506 on: January 17, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »
What's the matter Chuck; don't trust your ears?  :P
Nice job. Purty intakes. You may have to get some real brakes on that bike now. Ever thought about 2 pots up front?  Easy peasy for you. I've got the recipe if you want it. Just mentioning during this moment of weakness for you thinking a little outside the box and all from stock.
 ;-T

The brakes are fine. I can lock up the front.. how much more do you need? <shrug> It'll never see a track anyway.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #507 on: January 17, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
You may have to get some real brakes on that bike now. Ever thought about 2 pots up front?  Easy peasy for you. I've got the recipe if you want it. Just mentioning during this moment of weakness for you thinking a little outside the box and all from stock.
 ;-T

"2 pots"? The stock F05s are already 2 pistons per caliper.
Charlie

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #508 on: January 17, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »
"2 pots"? The stock F05s are already 2 pistons per caliper.
Ok... 4 pistons/2pots when looking at them. 21st century braking.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #509 on: January 17, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
The brakes are fine. I can lock up the front.. how much more do you need? <shrug> It'll never see a track anyway.
Think surface area Chuck. Lock-up can kill you. I can lock drum brakes but don't prefer having to go that far. I respect your opinion however.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here