Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 399836 times)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #600 on: January 28, 2015, 04:39:29 AM »
Dang! You and Lucky Phil. They were On Sale. With Free Shipping.. (Guzzi content) and they match. <shrug>  ;D

We know......there's a reason they were on sale with free shipping.
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #601 on: January 28, 2015, 05:27:33 AM »
Ciao

I'll offer my services and turn you some dowels to replace those front forks. They will stiffen up the front end and you can paint them any color you want. Folks won't bother to mention the gators and they'll be maintenance free.  Best of all they'll be better than OEM and still look period.  8) :P
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #602 on: January 28, 2015, 06:42:20 AM »
Ciao

Hey, they were out of black. Surprise surprise. They *did* have fluorescent green and blue, though..  ;D :BEER:

mumble mumble... great artists are never understood...  :'(
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Aero engine rescue
« Reply #603 on: January 28, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Great mod on the plastic bits and they do look very "factory". If it's any consolation, I actually like the red gaitors!

The suspense IS hard to take!!! :-)

EDIT:. Chuck, are you trying for the 30,000 thread views before firing it up?? :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Wildguzzi.com

Aero engine rescue
« Reply #603 on: January 28, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #604 on: January 28, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
Great mod on the plastic bits and they do look very "factory". If it's any consolation, I actually like the red gaitors!

The suspense IS hard to take!!! :-)

EDIT:. Chuck, are you trying for the 30,000 thread views before firing it up?? :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta get your head in the game, son.. ;D First start is planned for Saturday. I said that a while back. The kid is coming down from Wisconsin, and he was talking about bringing grappa. Unkept may or may not be able to make it to do a video. If not, we'll do one with my pocket camera. I don't have any video editing software, though, so it'll be a big file. It would probably take all night to upload with my steam powered internet connection, depending on how much coal they're shoveling at the time.  ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #605 on: January 28, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »
Continuing with my just in the nick of time manufacturing,  ;D I made the mounts for the wings that bolt to a valve cover bolt out of 3/32" 4130 this morning. Because Neil was right, Rust Never Sleeps, chromated them, (wearing respirator, trust me) and got the heck outa there.

Drove Miss Daisy down to the boob doc. When we returned, a box from Cheese and Gordon was in the mail box.. so I went into the hanger and brought out the tank. It's still not leaking.. ;-T My free repair must be ok. We'll see after the valve is exercised a few hundred times. A couple of people have asked if it will still fit. Shirley ;D it will.. but I haven't tried it.

Alrighty, now.. before I put the tank on, might as well hook up the new dual inlet banjos..

D'oh! Called Gordon, and asked to speak with the shipping department.  ;D He said, "What's up?" Told him, and he apologized and said he'd get the right ones in the mail yet this evening. I asked if he wanted me to ship these back.. "Nope, keep em."
Edit for fat finger
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:37:48 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #606 on: January 28, 2015, 06:40:15 PM »
A couple of people have asked if it will still fit. Shirley ;D it will.. but I haven't tried it.

:pop
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #607 on: January 28, 2015, 06:51:02 PM »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #608 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
Green zinc chromate primer? Isn't that what Guzzi used on the racebike fairings? Primer only, for less weight…
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #609 on: January 29, 2015, 02:58:57 AM »
Green zinc chromate primer? Isn't that what Guzzi used on the racebike fairings? Primer only, for less weight…
cr
Infact. Only a layer, to save weight, and protect the fairing during transport to the Isle of Man.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #610 on: January 29, 2015, 06:06:54 AM »
Oh yeah. I've seen aircraft tubing from the 30s with a light coat of chromate that still isn't rusted. Don't even think of spraying it without a respirator, though.. :beat_horse

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline HOSS

• Hatchling
« Reply #611 on: January 29, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »
Remember when I bought Monty and you told me you didn't have time for another project? Just sayin'. With that keep up the good work this is really an awesome build!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:05:33 AM by HOSS »

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #612 on: January 29, 2015, 08:37:33 AM »
 Expired paint Chuck?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:13:38 AM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #613 on: January 29, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
Remember when I bought Monty and you told me you didn't have time for another project? Just sayin'. With that keep up the good work this is really an awesome build!

I guess I didn't have time for a loop project, Hoss.  ;D <shrug> I had a loop at the time.  I let peer pressure rope me into this one, I guess. Besides, it looked like fun, and wouldn't take long..  ::)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #614 on: January 29, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »
Expired paint Chuck?

Yeah, I'm really concerned about that..  ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #615 on: January 29, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »
Everything about this bike is "expired", but that's what makes it SWEET!!  ;-T. Want to hear the music.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #616 on: January 29, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »
Well, I thought I'd show the non believers that the tank would fit, but... uh oh.  ;D The left petcock interferes.. The gizmo at the rear of the wing is a Cleco, used with special pliers to put parts together without fooling with bolts and nuts. They're normally used on airplanes to hold skins for riveting.

Turning the petcock slightly lets the tank settle on the breather line.  ;D

I briefly thought of heating and bending the breather line, but no doubt would warp or crack the unobtainium valve cover. Need to rethink that.. ;)

No probelm, I'll just go into the hanger and get my panel beater's hammers out of my roll around.. Aarrrg. Ed the Rocket Scientist has been here and they're gone, along with my shot bag.  ::) Gotta have this done by Saturday. Fortunately, he didn't take the two ball peen hammers, they'll do.
Put some tape where I need to beat on the tank.  :o Does sorta personify the "engine and two wheels" thing, though, doesn't it.  ;D

Better get the fuel out.

Had a hard time getting the light right to show the tunnel that clears the breather line, and the scale of the hammer. It's about as small as normal ball peen hammers come, but has a bigger radius on the end than bigger hammers. Most people get in trouble stretching metal by trying to do too much at once. A thousand light pecks is *much* better than a few big ones.

There we go, tank on, breather lines modded, seat fits. Nothin to it.

Still on schedule for Saturday. Tomorrow, we'll repair the side panels.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #617 on: January 29, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
Exciting!

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re:
« Reply #618 on: January 29, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
Will the Lario run on both cylinders this time? ;)

I'm going to be there guys, borrowing my friends *nice* camcorder, and recording with a condenser mic... Should be decent quality. :D

I'll try and upload it asap...

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #619 on: January 29, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
Will the Lario run on both cylinders this time? ;)

I'm going to be there guys, borrowing my friends *nice* camcorder, and recording with a condenser mic... Should be decent quality. :D

I'll try and upload it asap...

Boy, I hope it runs ok.  ;D If the dual banjos don't get here tomorrow, we'll plumb each carb up separately.
Really, I appreciate you coming down to do it. I know you're covered up right now..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #620 on: January 29, 2015, 11:55:21 PM »
Dueling banjo's,did I read that right?  Uh oh, I've seen this movie.....
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #621 on: January 30, 2015, 07:25:04 AM »
What pipes are going on Chuck?  I thought you had some Bubs you played with??
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #622 on: January 30, 2015, 07:28:31 AM »
What pipes are going on Chuck?  I thought you had some Bubs you played with??

The ones I have on it are the nasty Bubs that I got from Ed Milich. I still need to try to get them apart and repack them some day.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #623 on: January 30, 2015, 08:02:09 AM »
No pressure Chuck, sure it will fire up and run.....  If not, fake it and fire up another bike that you change the carb sync on so it sounds nasty. Don't show the exhausts and you'll be fine....  I might have a bike in your hangar that runs nasty enough for that now ;D

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #624 on: January 30, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
I still want to know if your going to have a big rollout ceremony like Boeing with a band and free beer. What time should we be there? The only help I gave on this were feeble attempts at humor but if there is free beer and stuff I'll man a fire extinguisher !
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #625 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »
The ones I have on it are the nasty Bubs that I got from Ed Milich. I still need to try to get them apart and repack them some day.

I took the edge off my Bubs with an easy trick... brass plumbing reducers in the ends. They fit almost perfectly and the slot accepts them to the right depth. Put foil tape around them and tapped them in. No screws necessary. Mid-range is better but high revs a little less so. Decibel levels more acceptable. Mine don't want to let me in.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #626 on: January 30, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »
I still want to know if your going to have a big rollout ceremony like Boeing with a band and free beer. What time should we be there? The only help I gave on this were feeble attempts at humor but if there is free beer and stuff I'll man a fire extinguisher !

Well, Unkept plays guitar and does vocals  ;D so I guess we could have a band. There's *always* free beer here, and a fire extinguisher in the hanger. It's always sitting ready on first startup of an antique aeroplane, but never have bothered with a motorcycle. Hmmmm.  Not too bright, my normal condition..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #627 on: January 30, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
Ok, let's finish this up. Here's the stuff to repair cast plastic and fiberglass. It uses standard Cream hardener (keep that stuff out of your eyes) in a ratio of 3/4 teaspoon to 1/2 cup, according to my engineering conversion program, not available for Mac.  ~; ;D

You'll have about 15 minutes from start to finish, so have everything ready before mixing.

Mix much more thoroughly than you think you need to.  ;) and using a throw away 1 inch paint brush, apply the resin. Lay the first piece of cloth. Here's the trick. Take a dry brush, and using rapid up and down motion, force the resin up through the weave. This process is called stippling. Most people put on too much resin, resulting in a brittle layup. Continue, using some fresh resin as necessary until you have at least 4 layers.

That'll finish up that little job. While we're waiting for it to cure, lets finish up the wings. This is another mold maker's tool, called an abrasive roll. It just twists on to the mandrel. Using the pencil grinder lets you make delicate cuts, and dress the radius on the fairing without making a mess of it.

Painted with a brush. I was too lazy to get out an air brush and spend all the time cleaning it up.  ;D

While that is drying, checked the mail and the dual banjos didn't come. Rats. Well, the show must go on,  ;D so plumbed the carbs with the singles. Started looking at stuff for the startup. What could possibly go wrong?  Better hook up the battery charger. It would be pretty embarrassing to have the world watching, push the button, and it goes.. click stutter stutter stutter.. we've all heard that sound.  ;D

Resin is cured, and mounted the side panels. After the paint drys, I'm officially out of stuff to do. Maybe I should wipe it down. As someone posted earlier in the thread, if it looks good, it is good.  ;D
Uh oh. I've mentioned before that if you look for trouble on an old machine you'll find it. A fresh crack in the fairing. It'll have to come off to be repaired, but not today. Gotta have it on for the official startup.

Brad's coming down tonight, and Unkept is coming in the morning to do the Official Startup Video. Nothing left to do in the morning except roll it off the stand, put in fuel, check for leaks, pay homage to Luigi, and punch the starter button.  ;D Exciting stuff..
Came in the house, and Dorcia brought this so Brad and I would get the proper head start in the morning..

She's such a good girl..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #628 on: January 30, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
You and Brad are a couple of lucky guys indeed. :)
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #629 on: January 30, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »
You and Brad are a couple of lucky guys indeed. :)

You are absolutely right, Chad, my man.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here