Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398600 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #930 on: March 25, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
Yeah, that's what they did. All the small parts came yesterday. The threaded rod was shipped from Georgia. Naturally, they didn't tell me that I was going to get hosed.  ;D

They let you know when an order will have to ship from two warehouses, but you have to know the lingo.  If it's a phone order, they say something like "That can ship today from our Atlanta warehouse." for example, instead of just "That can ship today."   If you don't catch it and cancel that item, you're getting two shipments.  With a web order, it's in the order list in the "ships" column as two extra words "from Atlanta" under "today.".  I got surprised with multiple shipments a couple times until I figured it out.

Interestingly, they charge only actual shipping cost, no handling charges or other fees, so they didn't profit from your misfortune.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #931 on: March 25, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
They let you know when an order will have to ship from two warehouses, but you have to know the lingo.  If it's a phone order, they say something like "That can ship today from our Atlanta warehouse." for example, instead of just "That can ship today."   If you don't catch it and cancel that item, you're getting two shipments.  With a web order, it's in the order list in the "ships" column as two extra words "from Atlanta" under "today.".  I got surprised with multiple shipments a couple times until I figured it out.

Interestingly, they charge only actual shipping cost, no handling charges or other fees, so they didn't profit from your misfortune.

Thanks, it was a web order and I didn't catch it. <shrug> Live and learn..  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Penderic

« Reply #932 on: March 25, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
Shipping and Handling extra!  ~;

Next project?  ;D

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #933 on: March 25, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Needs 140 octane though so a Guzzi person wouldn't want it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #933 on: March 25, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »

Penderic

« Reply #934 on: March 25, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »
His big flat bed truck runs on regular. And just down the street ....... hmmm
  ;D

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #935 on: March 25, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
I think I'm going to be sick..

I know a guy that bought two new P38s after the war. He said, Chuck, I made a killing on them. Three hundred dollars..  ::)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #936 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
Strange strange. Just did get the threaded rod.. nice. Rolled threads black oxided. Thought I'd ride the Lario down to the shop in case I get time to work on it tomorrow. The left cylinder wouldn't fire a lick.  :o Thought, WTF? Plug wire must be loose, either at the cap or coil. Putt putted it down on the other cylinder. Checked for spark. Gots it. Tested the plug on my spark plug tester. It's fine.
I would think if the stupid white float had sunk, it would be super rich, but would at least fire. <scratching head> I suppose a valve *could* be stuck open, but that's a stretch..
It was running fine when I rode it up to the Guzzi Garage (tm) a couple of days or so ago.
Oh, well. Maybe I'l *make* time to look at it tomorrow.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #937 on: March 25, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
 Chuck ,I still need an engine for my drone project , just saying.....  ::)
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #938 on: March 25, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »
Chuck ,I still need an engine for my drone project , just saying.....  ::)

You talking cash??  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #939 on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:36 PM »
Strange strange. Just did get the threaded rod.. nice. Rolled threads black oxided. Thought I'd ride the Lario down to the shop in case I get time to work on it tomorrow. The left cylinder wouldn't fire a lick.  :o Thought, WTF? Plug wire must be loose, either at the cap or coil. Putt putted it down on the other cylinder. Checked for spark. Gots it. Tested the plug on my spark plug tester. It's fine.
I would think if the stupid white float had sunk, it would be super rich, but would at least fire. <scratching head> I suppose a valve *could* be stuck open, but that's a stretch..
It was running fine when I rode it up to the Guzzi Garage (tm) a couple of days or so ago.

"Ran when parked"  ;) :D
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #940 on: March 25, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »
You talking cash??  ;D
I am!!  Lol  :) ;D ;D ;D

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #941 on: March 25, 2015, 10:10:29 PM »

Should fire if bowl is flooded. Check that the opposite isn't true in that your fuel inlet seats haven't unscrewed themselves and you're starved of gas. Don't ask me how I know this can happen. One cylinder then the other for me. Not my doing. If you don't have much gas come out the bowl you'll have an idea.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #942 on: March 26, 2015, 05:02:18 AM »
Oh, I know what it is before even going out to the shop. Woke up in the middle of the night and thought, "the throttle cable has come unhooked from the slide." That happened one time before a few thousand miles ago when Unkept came back from a ride saying it wasn't very powerful.  ;D I just put it down to careless workmanship on the guy that put it together.  ~;  There's always been too much slack in the throttle assembly. Need to look at that, and find out why.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #943 on: March 26, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »
Oh, I know what it is before even going out to the shop. Woke up in the middle of the night and thought, "the throttle cable has come unhooked from the slide." That happened one time before a few thousand miles ago when Unkept came back from a ride saying it wasn't very powerful.  ;D I just put it down to careless workmanship on the guy that put it together.  ~;  There's always been too much slack in the throttle assembly. Need to look at that, and find out why.

Isn't it funny how your subconscious figures things out every time.  Something to be said for taking a break and coming back to it....glad it's an easy fix!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #944 on: March 26, 2015, 07:04:58 AM »
Isn't it funny how your subconscious figures things out every time.  Something to be said for taking a break and coming back to it....glad it's an easy fix!

Yeah, I've always said I do my best work in bed.. ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #945 on: March 26, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »
Yeah, I've always said I do my best work in bed.. ;D :BEER:

Yep, figured many things out sleeping on them. The mind keeps going and going. Glad you caught it before tearing things apart. Those throttle assemblies aren't very "high tech", but let us know what's going on there if you would.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #946 on: March 26, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
That wasn't it. (!!) You could have knocked me down with a feather, as the old saying goes. Thought WTF????
Ok, start at square one. Did a leak down. 78/80. Cylinders don't get any better than that.  ;-T Yes, the valves are opening and closing.  ;D Checked plug again with my plug tester. Ok. Hmmmm. Loosened the float bowl. Yep, there's fuel in it. Hmmmmm again. Checked spark again.. got spark.. but maybe it looks a little weird. Right side looks a little weird, too.. but it ran. Hmmmm again.
Ran out of time. We're getting ready to blast off to SoCal, and I have some Honeydo's to do.
So.
I've had the Dyna coils on there for a very few miles. They're the green 3 ohm ones. Read on here it's a good idea to put a ballast resistor on those, so I did. It was 2.3 ohms on my meter. It was getting warm with the cranking I did. I'm out of time, but is the ballast resistor the problem?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #947 on: March 26, 2015, 04:55:53 PM »
That wasn't it. (!!) You could have knocked me down with a feather, as the old saying goes. Thought WTF????
Ok, start at square one. Did a leak down. 78/80. Cylinders don't get any better than that.  ;-T Yes, the valves are opening and closing.  ;D Checked plug again with my plug tester. Ok. Hmmmm. Loosened the float bowl. Yep, there's fuel in it. Hmmmmm again. Checked spark again.. got spark.. but maybe it looks a little weird. Right side looks a little weird, too.. but it ran. Hmmmm again.
Ran out of time. We're getting ready to blast off to SoCal, and I have some Honeydo's to do.
So.
I've had the Dyna coils on there for a very few miles. They're the green 3 ohm ones. Read on here it's a good idea to put a ballast resistor on those, so I did. It was 2.3 ohms on my meter. It was getting warm with the cranking I did. I'm out of time, but is the ballast resistor the problem?

What most vehicles with ballast resistors do is bypass it for the starting cranking process and then switch it back in for running.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #948 on: March 27, 2015, 05:29:01 AM »
Torque challenge ride one. Full throttle roll on at 60 mph, in top gear.  2010 V7 Classic Quattro Valvole.  26 degrees C. 22 seconds from 60 to 120.  124 MPH top speed reached.  7200 rpm.  Whoo Haa!!

Sounds clean but not sure vid comparing is the go, couldn't see tach nor speedo, nor clock, not doubting, just want to see
VID of the 3 of you side by side, one left hand drops from sky at 60 mph, taps opened, finish line for the bravest
Nearly as good as rolling race, dead engines, very top of hill, first to highest point after bottom of mountain wins.

And yes, I'll run out of fuel first in winning former but not in latter, BB's kill SB's in rolling race, esp 2 up !!!

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #949 on: March 27, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »

It's easy enough to wire around the resistors for a test, but I can't imagine the resistors are keeping a cylinder from firing unless one of them has failed open.  I ran 1Ω resistors with my Dyna green coils for quite a while with no ill effects.  Since the heat from the resistors is outside of the coils, a 3Ω coil with a 1Ω resistor produces about the same coil heat as a 5Ω coil.  Actually slightly less.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:59:10 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #950 on: March 27, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
So.

I know you hate hearing this Chuck, but my money's on fueling.  Take the bowl off the bad cylinder and take a quick look-see at things being correct.  You'll have gas spill out the bowl when loosening from what you have in the line, just hard to tell if it's the right amount that settles in the bowl.  Check to make sure that float needle jet seat hasn't unscrewed itself.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #951 on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
Didn't really have time, but it was driving me nuts. Took the ballast resistor out of the system, and I have a nice fat blue spark again. Just sayin..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #952 on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
It's easy enough to wire around the resistors for a test, but I can't imagine the resistors are keeping a cylinder from firing unless one of them has failed open.  I ran 1Ω resistors with my Dyna green coils for quite a while with no ill effects.  Since the heat from the resistors is outside of the coils, a 3Ω coil with a 1Ω resistor produces about the same coil heat as a 5Ω coil.  Actually slightly less.

this is what I was using. Bad idea?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #953 on: March 27, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
this is what I was using. Bad idea?

It's a bit more resistance than necessary, and may be the problem.  I guess when you have time you can see how it runs without the resistors, and then decide if you want to install some with less resistance.  Mine were Dale 1Ω 20W industrial resistors:

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #954 on: March 27, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
Thanks for that. I've been running Mouser's secondary ignition with 3 ohm Dynas with no resistor for years.. I think I'll give it a go on the Lario.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #955 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »
I've been running Mouser's secondary ignition with 3 ohm Dynas with no resistor for years.

What is that?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #956 on: March 27, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »
Thanks for that. I've been running Mouser's secondary ignition with 3 ohm Dynas with no resistor for years.. I think I'll give it a go on the Lario.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Only problem with the green coils I've seen was when the rider left the ignition switch on with engine not running for a few minutes. Coil cracks open then.
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #957 on: March 27, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Only problem with the green coils I've seen was when the rider left the ignition switch on with engine not running for a few minutes. Coil cracks open then.

That happened one time with Mouser. A prospective builder was getting out of the front cockpit, and knocked the master switch on, unbeknownst to me. Ran the battery down and fried a coil. Didn't crack open, though.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #958 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
What is that?
The primary ignition is a magneto, driven off the end of the crank. The secondary ignition is a Dyna S, using a special housing, and driven off the stock VW distributer drive. Little 10 mm scooter plugs opposite the standard VW plugs give true dual ignition.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #959 on: March 27, 2015, 03:48:20 PM »
The primary ignition is a magneto, driven off the end of the crank. The secondary ignition is a Dyna S, using a special housing, and driven off the stock VW distributer drive. Little 10 mm scooter plugs opposite the standard VW plugs give true dual ignition.

Thanks, very unusual.  So it sounds like the two plugs in each cylinder get their timing set completely independently.  Did I read that right?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here