Author Topic: Who says you can't tour on a 'small' bike?  (Read 16679 times)

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
Who says you can't tour on a 'small' bike?
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »
Cool story about a woman that toured the U.S. on a Bonneville last year, setting a Guinness record in the process.

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/guinness-record-ride

Too bad she didn't do it on a V7, but still a great adventure, I'm sure. 
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Who says you can't tour on a 'small' bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:11:04 AM »
A 900 Bonne isn't what I'd call a "small" bike. Some might. It's a very capable machine. I'd take my 850 LeMans anywhere. For the gal who set the record, you go girl! GOOD JOB!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline O

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »
I don't think the Bonneville upped displacement to 865 cc until the 2007 model.  The one she took was a 790 cc version.  Not that I disagree with you, neither are small bikes, but in this day and age of liter+ bikes, they are often considered as such.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »
Going back a while but back when I was a teenager had a friend who was so impressed with his new Suzuki GP100 he road it all the way down to Italy the week he bought it, from Halifax, only stopped for fuel. Italian border control looked over his passport a few times when they saw the French stamp with same date and looked at the bike.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
I don't think the Bonneville upped displacement to 865 cc until the 2007 model.  The one she took was a 790 cc version.  Not that I disagree with you, neither are small bikes, but in this day and age of liter+ bikes, they are often considered as such.

Sorry <shrug> rounded up  :laugh: yes you're right, the buying public have been duped into thinking there's a big enough difference in a 865cc and a 1000cc that the "little" bike can't handle a road trip. Wasn't many years ago a Honda 750 4 speed was a big bike. Unless your pulling a trailer or plenty of gear and a big tattooed woman, I say it's overkill. My 955 Tiger hauls my fat arse just fine too.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »
I toured last year on my 494 cc MZ Silver Star. '88-'92 I toured on a Morini 350K2 and will again next year. Two friends of mine went coast-to-coast (and back) on CBR250 Hondas accompanied by 250 Ninjas and other small displacement bikes. No big deal really. 

A Bonneville isn't a small bike.
Charlie

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »
A fine accomplishment for anyone. Engine size isn't the sole criteria of what makes a bike big. The Bonneville is a medium sized bike at best. With a low seat height and leas than 500 pounds, it is anything but a big bike.

Gone are the old days putting a bike into a size class based on engine displacement only.  A 850-900cc bike can be considered a smaller bike easily. Big displacement doesn't mean big bike. Then look at the 650 V-Strom which for it's engine size is more bumble bee than svelte ADV. The Honda CB500X feels more like a 750 from a size wise and the Suzuki 250 feels more like a 500.

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 01:19:45 PM »
A Bonny is a big bike in my book. A 250 or even a 500 could be considered a small bike.

I have ridden about 7500 km so far this year on a KLR 650, from Phoenix to LA, then up to the Yukon and back to Phoenix, next week I am riding another KLR 650 from here down the Pacific Coast and then over to Phoenix.  Some would call a 650 single too small to tour, nonsense, for solo riding with a larger front sprocket it is very comfortable and can cruise at 75 ~ 80 mph. I actually prefer to ride and the comfort the KLR gives me over my R1150RT.

A small block V7 would be a luxury over the KLR.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
...the buying public have been duped into thinking there's a big enough difference in a 865cc and a 1000cc that the "little" bike can't handle a road trip..

I stopped by a neighbor's house on my Mille last year.  The wife, who has experience with dirt bikes, saw the Mille parked in her driveway and said "Oh, you rode a little street bike".  I had no idea that someone could look at a 1000cc motorcycle that weighs in the mid 500 lb range, and think it's little.  I should have known, but I didn't.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
People tour on 10 spd bikes!  I see them out in the Dakotas bucking head winds but they appear to be smiling!    :wink:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:46:25 PM »
A few years ago in Georgia I was returning home from a 3000 mile round trip feeling pretty proud of myself. Checked in to the motel and there was a old couple in their upper 60's or early 70's also checking in. Yes they said that's our tandem bicycle out there with a tow trailer. We are almost to Jacksonville Florida. We departed from Oregon. Having written this it doesn't detract from the epic ride by the young lady on the Bonneville.
Bill
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:52:33 PM by Bill N »

Online Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
Pardon me!  "old couple in their 60s or early seventies?  Know your audience!!

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 03:28:15 PM »
Small? I still see that one as larger than "Mid-Size".

Go tell small to that guy who went most ways across the country on his Hodaka a couple years ago or those 125 touring weirdos.

A modern Triumph small? Hardly in general and given her physical size in particular? Not at all.

I do however dig her story and commitment and appreciate the link.

She says 11 "tire changes"... any idea how many chains?

For all the criss-crossing and doubling up in many states, one would think she had "warrants out" in Wy, Ne & Ia. Not much mile-love for those three.

Todd.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:35:26 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
Sizes in bike seems to have crept up like dresses sizes in women; what was medium not too long ago is now too small for a learners bike. But back in the day folks toured on 125's and 185's (two up no less - but it was a two cycle) including me on the 125. 350's were considered the smaller medium sized bikes; I toured on my 360. Huge upgrade from the 125! 500-650's were mid-sized bikes and we all toured on them (me and my 550) with the big boys having 750's.

Then the Goldwind happened with land yacht proportions.

Things got really out of hand after that.   :boozing:

Sidebar; some folks are old at 60, some are not.  :popcorn:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 04:22:46 PM »
My Brother-in-law (who lives in Italy) went touring around Europe back in the day on a Suzuki GT380 (2-stroke).

Got as far as Sweden and back to Germany before the inevitable 'nip-up' happened, one of his touring buddies towed him back through southern Germany and Switzerland...
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
My Brother-in-law (who lives in Italy) went touring around Europe back in the day on a Suzuki GT380 (2-stroke).

I'm not sure that's much worse then Jeff doing his Iron Butt ride on a GT550:

http://www.3cyl.com/iba/ibride.html
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
My wife and I toured the Americas in 2012/13 Buenos Aires to Ushuia then North to Alaska, 26 states in the USA, 13 countries in South/ Central America 3 provinces in Canada on 2 650 single BMW's . Could have done with more horses in the US & Canada but they were fine ( more comfort & reliability would have been better) Size is in the mind, it's the Macho shit that makes us want bigger and faster, reality is most don't need it.

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I certainly wouldn't consider that a small bike unless they were towing a camper or something.

Remember the blog about the guy that toured all over on an old beat up Kawi KZ-440LTD? Called the 751 as I recall cause he found 751 dollars and decided to see how far it would take him.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »

Quite frankly, I'm surprised your GT550 lasted that trip.  My son had a GT550 exactly the same color as yours and like clockwork he blew pistons regularly.  Unlike my Yamaha 350 twins when his 550 blew a piston he said there was no warning.  His GT550 was a terrible handler by today's or even it's current standards.  We put some chrome expansion chambers on his which got him some respect.   Those pipes gave him more midrange power, but it still wasn't as fast as you would think it should be.   I rode  Yamahas YDS2, YM1, R5, RD350 back in the day, all of which I toured on.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:29:58 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »
Cool story about a woman that toured the U.S. on a Bonneville last year, setting a Guinness record in the process.

That was quite a ride.   She fit that bike perfectly, looks like!

I note she said that her greatest fear is "having to work a nine-to-five job".    Most of us find something along those lines to be somewhat of a necessity in order to gather tokens for motels, campgrounds, gasoline, tires, road food, etc.    I'd like to know what her secret is!   Or "who" he is ..... ?   :laugh:   

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »
Lannis, I'll go into detail when I eventually get up there for a visit (soon), but I quit the 9-5 thing around 1989 because I was very unhappy with it, and have been working on my own ever since.  I've been pretty broke at times, and not so broke at other times, but generally much happier.  The biggest secrets I can reveal are to minimize expenses, and never get into debt.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 12:05:56 AM »

Very cool!

Here's a thread about another gal on a long-distance adventure, on an even smaller bike (a Vespa): http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic141441
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 12:20:29 AM »
In the mid to late 80's, me and the wife toured all over California and the Southwest on my 85 Yamaha RZ 350, it was smooth, comfortable for us and just fine in the twisties or the highway.  Before that, I took long trips on an Yamaha R5, no problems.  As I got larger, seemed I needed a larger bike, but the fun of touring on a small bike still interests me

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Who says you can't tour on a 'small' bike?
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:46 AM »
Don't forget the old adage;
Size isn't important, it's how you use it that counts (or is that for something else?)!

In my book, you can 'tour' on any Bike that'll cruise comfortably at around 50mph or so for a couple of hours.
I'd say it's more of an 'adventure' doing a big trip on a small Bike than on what we now call an 'Adventure' Bike   :thumb:
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 01:31:05 AM »
I used to think you couldn't till I spotted a Ninja 250 with an Oregon plate in Cabo San Lucas trekking on dirt roads all bagged up. Another is a guy I met with an SR500 who road cross country with it regularly. Flipped the odometer once and replaced once. No rebuild ever surprisingly.
Any Guzzi Ive seen was 750+ccs..

I would think a v7 would be awesome as tourer.
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 03:06:54 AM »
Did in to the 100's of thousands on a G3L 12hp 350 Matchy.  The Breva tours just fine.  Hp is not everything.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 04:21:19 AM »

Indeed, it takes a special bravery to attempt a long tour on a '70s 2-stroke triple.  :laugh:
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »
I read a blog on Modern Vespa about a guy who toured the country, even going up to Alaska, on a 50cc Honda Ruckus! Doesn't get much smaller than that. I think he took several months and did around 30,000 miles on it. That's small displacement touring!!
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Vasco DG

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 06:05:31 AM »
This is the crux of the matter. If you want to ride hell for leather and act the goat get a suitable machine.

For me at least 'Touring' is about the countryside you are travelling through and the people you meet as much as the pure 'Motorbike' experience, although that is a vital difference between a motorbike 'Tour' and a 'Road Trip' in a car.

For any of my US or Oz longer trips a V7 would be fine, as wod a CT110 Honda or my Mana or a host of other machines. When I do the 'Round Oz' trip we have planned with my mate in 2017 I'll be doing it on the Griso but only because I want to. Not because I need to.

Pete

Offline O

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »
Very cool!

Here's a thread about another gal on a long-distance adventure, on an even smaller bike (a Vespa): http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic141441

Thanks for posting that, Jeff.  I love her pictures of Baja. 
Owen

2014 V7 Special

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here