Author Topic: Who likes a good wheel gun?  (Read 11188 times)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Who likes a good wheel gun?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
Swede,

It really carries well; the feel in the hand is perfect!  Sadly, when it was imported into the US it was stamped "380" on the slide. 
I scored some reloadable 9mm long ammo + barrel, and am looking forward to trying that out.

Joe

Looks a lot like the Colt 1903 I used to have.  Really nice too.  Sometimes I wish I had not sold it since I could keep all the bullets in a beer can at 25yd (when I used to be good at it  :)  ).  Then I remember trying to find the brass after shooting.

I think the sad part of law enforcement going to semi-autos is even less firearms training.  The run of the mill LEO just isn't required to do much with a firearm.  Understandable in some cases.  Some carry one for 20yrs and it is never fired except at a range.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:19:25 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »
wasn't the sales pitch for the 357 magnum was that the cop could kill a flat head Ford with it while chasing a suspect? 

One shot through the hood and a dead Ford.     :copcar:

Might be some truth there.  The legend I remember is the guy on Alaska's north slope putting down the polar bear with one.  He wrote the company and the letter was used in advertising.  At the time the .357 was about the hottest round made.  Now it seems tame compared to a Buffalo Bore 310gr in my .44mag.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Looks a lot like the Colt 1903 I used to have.  Really nice too.  Sometimes I wish I had not sold it since I could keep all the bullets in a beer can at 25yd (when I used to be good at it  :)  ).  Then I remember trying to find the brass after shooting.

I think the Colt .32 auto came first, and then Browning (FN really) enlarged it to handle the 9mm long, to sell to military markets.

Sweden bought many, and used them up until the 1970's (I think).

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
I think it was more about penetrating car doors and windshields; barriers that often stopped the then ubiquitous .38 Special...

That's what I've read as to why the .357 magnum was developed. Once a bad guy got away in those days, he was gone.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
I've been collecting S&W wheel guns for a while.  I used to collect Colts until they got way too expensive.  My focus is on Smiths 1982 or older, although I do have a bunch of newer ones in the safe.   Probably have 2 or 3 dozen, but I haven't counted for a while.  Although .44s are pretty collectable, I stick with .38s and smaller calibers.  I don't much care to shoot and reload .44s.  I'm a sucker for the small ones - J frames and top breaks.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
From Sheepdog:
and my single action Colt clone (an Uberti El Patron CWS)

Aren't the El Patrons sweet? I have the 5.5" model in .45. The target pictured was the first five shots out of the box using Magtech 200gr. at 50' with a two handed hold. Don't touch that trigger until you are ready to shoot as it is very light.

russian image hosting

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »
My trigger is pretty light, too...probably under 3#. Very accurate and nicely finished. I need a standard (short) base pin, though. The two position safety model functions okay, but I'm never comfortably certain the base pin is in the firing position until I drop the hammer. Coming from an intensely safety oriented organization, I don't shoot it as often as I'd like to. A one position base pin would change that...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
Ahh, a revolver thread on a bike forum. Wonderful, here's some of mine.

Ruger GP100

Colt King Cobra

Ruger Security Six

S&W 3rd Model Double Action made in 1887

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2017, 09:42:15 PM »
Had to steal a couple pics from the innerwebs.  Don't have pics of mine. 

My only wheelgun.  Marked 1917.  Limey machine that tosses .455 rounds.  Slowly.  You can see them coming.

Someone said they liked BHPs.  Mine's from the early '40's.  Some unusual and unpleasant markings. 

Honestly, a bit tired of my little collection.  Probably get rid of most and just get a .38 revolver for home defense.
He lost the run of himself.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2017, 09:58:50 PM »
From sheepdog:
My trigger is pretty light, too...probably under 3#. Very accurate and nicely finished. I need a standard (short) base pin, though. The two position safety model functions okay, but I'm never comfortably certain the base pin is in the firing position until I drop the hammer. Coming from an intensely safety oriented organization, I don't shoot it as often as I'd like to. A one position base pin would change that...

I didn't even realize that it had a two position base pin until I reassembled it and tried to fire it after my first cleaning. Once I saw that it was just a matter of visually confirming which notch it really has not been a problem. Single position base pins are available.
Concerning the trigger most reviews I have read that used a trigger gauge put most between two and three pounds with most closer to two pounds. Mine has just the slightest hint of creep before breaking. I find it excellent overall with very good fit and finish for a $500 revolver in this day and age.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »
Big Ruger revolver fan, SP-101, GP-100, Redhawk, you name it. 

The only S&W revolver ever owned was a 686+ 7 shot with a 4-inch barrel.  Still wish I had it!

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
SP101 in  357. Yeah, baby!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2017, 11:33:56 PM »
SP101 in  357. Yeah, baby!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes sir, carried one for years in a belly band holster, before the dickie-doo disease got me.  No one could ever detect it and it gave much comfort working alone in the woods.

Offline SmokinJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
Still carry one, 642 S&W. But most people I see carry small semi autos. I use ruger single action cartridge or old army cap and ball  revolvers for most of my match shooting now. The Ruger vaquero in .357 has some accuracy.

websites for upload images
 Granted I shot that card from only 7 yards.

Offline Mark Harpell

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
Have a small collection of S&W, Rugers....this is my fav...late fifties Kit Gun...sweet little gun.....
Mark

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
Had to steal a couple pics from the innerwebs.  Don't have pics of mine. 

My only wheelgun.  Marked 1917.  Limey machine that tosses .455 rounds.  Slowly.  You can see them coming.

I've always wanted a Mark VI Webley but could never find a good deal on one.  Nice looking piece.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »

Someone said they liked BHPs.  Mine's from the early '40's.  Some unusual and unpleasant markings. 

Looks pleasant and useful to me.   What's unusual and unpleasant about yours?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2017, 05:29:59 PM »
Back in the dark ages most metropolitan agencies carried a .38 although some rural departments carried 357's and everyone was happy, (most bad guys carried junk 32's and 38's).  Elmer Keith did a wonderful job developing various loads for the .357.  When the movie Serpico came out,  the bad guys found out about 14 shot 9mm semi-autos and the race was on.  Mean while 5-O( :copcar:) was still trying shoot back with whimpy 38's because the spineless administrators were worried about too much penetration and the "spray and pray" from the high capacity semi autos.  The only penetration the administrators knew was.....oh never mind.  Enough bad guys wearing Navy peacoats got shot by NYPD guys using .38 wad cutters that bounced off and shot back at the cops with the high capacity semi autos untl someone finally got their head out of, oh there I go again,  grew a set and decided it was time to transition to the 9mm semi autos.  Most agencies continue to carry the semi auto in 9mm, 40cal., or my favorite the one shot stopping 45acp.

Although I own several semi autos, 9mm for ccw, and my .45 Glock model 21, I still have soft spot for wheel guns. My family has always had and used revolvers, mostly for hunting. Own a .22 for plinking and training, and a 6"- S&W model 19 that I used for close range hog hunting.  Dropped a sub 100 lbs boar right in his tracks earlier this year about 20 yards away.
Currently shopping for a 44 mag., I like things that go bang and make big holes!   
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »
I love my wheel guns particularly my Dan Wesson .44 mag pistol pack. BTW I have two extra 4 inch barrels (not shrouds) if anybody needs one let me know.
Bill

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
Isn't that strange?? several mentions of the Dan Wessons from Guzzi guys?  <scratching head> Not too many have even heard of them. You can go to a gun show and never even see one.. must be a Guzzi thing.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
All it proves is that even cheap Guzzi bastards will shell out big $$ for good weaponry.  There is hope for us yet.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »
Isn't that strange?? several mentions of the Dan Wessons from Guzzi guys?  <scratching head> Not too many have even heard of them. You can go to a gun show and never even see one.. must be a Guzzi thing.  :smiley:

Not sure but this is one of my two wheel guns.  A Dan Wesson in .22lr

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
Well I have not shelled out the bucks for a Dan Wesson but have known about them for several decades. Would like to have one.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
Red neck friend of mine had a Dan Wesson for a little while.  He was reloading ammo one weekend and used shotgun powder in a hot .357mag load.  He's ok but it was the end of his revolver days.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »
Home defense pieces...loaded, and located strategically around the house... :thumb: :1: :cool:

* RUGER SP101 in .32 Magnum
* Smith & Wesson, model 686 in .357 Magnum
* Colt Detective Special, in .38 Special
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
Red neck friend of mine had a Dan Wesson for a little while.  He was reloading ammo one weekend and used shotgun powder in a hot .357mag load.  He's ok but it was the end of his revolver days.

What happened?

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
I'm a fan of old S&W wheel guns as well as Rugers. My SP101 is a beaut and tough as nails. I find that Taurus can make a excellent revolver too, but fit & finish can vary greatly due to their being hand finished. With Taurus, you need to inspect it closely, check the timing as well as the gap between the forcing cone and cylinder. I prefer a revolver that was fitted snugly and then break it in at the range.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
Luditious throw-backs!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »
Back in the dark ages most metropolitan agencies carried a .38 although some rural departments carried 357's and everyone was happy, (most bad guys carried junk 32's and 38's).  Elmer Keith did a wonderful job developing various loads for the .357.  When the movie Serpico came out,  the bad guys found out about 14 shot 9mm semi-autos and the race was on.  Mean while 5-O( :copcar:) was still trying shoot back with whimpy 38's because the spineless administrators were worried about too much penetration and the "spray and pray" from the high capacity semi autos.  The only penetration the administrators knew was.....oh never mind.  Enough bad guys wearing Navy peacoats got shot by NYPD guys using .38 wad cutters that bounced off and shot back at the cops with the high capacity semi autos untl someone finally got their head out of, oh there I go again,  grew a set and decided it was time to transition to the 9mm semi autos.  Most agencies continue to carry the semi auto in 9mm, 40cal., or my favorite the one shot stopping 45acp.

Although I own several semi autos, 9mm for ccw, and my .45 Glock model 21, I still have soft spot for wheel guns. My family has always had and used revolvers, mostly for hunting. Own a .22 for plinking and training, and a 6"- S&W model 19 that I used for close range hog hunting.  Dropped a sub 100 lbs boar right in his tracks earlier this year about 20 yards away.
Currently shopping for a 44 mag., I like things that go bang and make big holes!

It won't be long until spineless administrators will have to issue grenade launchers and bazookas to get the bad guys. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2017, 05:53:38 AM »
I have a vintage 1980 S&W model 66 with a  matching model 60. Nice combo that represent the last days of hand fitting at S&W (yes, I know about the Performance Center- but you understand what I'm getting at). The 66 came from a guy's safe who lives within sight of the factory in Springfield. His old man was a gunsmith at S&W and it seems that this gun went from the factory down the street to this safe and had barely seen the light of day until I came along.

I also have a lovely Colt Officer's model in .22LR from 1937. Pristine piece that was hand fitted and lapped. The trigger is crazy smooth and breaks like glass. I should probably sell this jewel as it's not getting much use.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here