Author Topic: Who needs a tachometer?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Who needs a tachometer?
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
Many of the new bikes have left off the tachometer... MG Roamer & Bobber, BMW R9T Scrambler & Urban, Ducati Scrambler to name a few... probably because it saves the company a few $$$.
I ride a '08 1200 Sport and find I'm always checking the tach because of ...

The "very sweet" spot is between 4,000 - 5,000
The "good range" is  between 3,500 - 4,500I
I don't like to go full throttle below 3,500.

I can usually "feel" when I'm in the sweet range of 4 - 5,000.

I would certainly miss not having the tach to look at as I use the info it shows. I wouldn't buy a bike without one.

Do most of you find the tach useful or is it going the way of the kickstarter? 
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

oldbike54

Re: Who needs a tachometer?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
 Heck , I don't even care if the speedometer works  :grin:

Dusty

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
I thought I would miss it on the Roamer but I don’t.
Now if that darn shift gear notification would shut off.....

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
When the tach on my Bassa fails, I'm just going to switch to a single instrument panel.

Rich

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
I miss having a tach on the bobber, love having it on the racer

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »
I don't use a tach. The one on the Guzzi had a snapped cable when I bought it in 98. I have always let the engine talk to me. Even when I was street racing a l o n g time ago. That 327 talked to me. I had a tach then because I didn't want to stand out at the Steer Inn. Long gone. My 03 Yamama ( no spelling error) has no tach. I would think after a while that sweet sound off the engine would imprint itself in your brain. Sort of like Zen. Be one with the rpm 's.Hmmmmmmm .
Pop
I may have taken a few too many advise today.
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
 Like Guzzi Steve says , "rev it 'till it starts shakin' , then shift it"  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »
My T-3 has the police dash which means no tach. The engine is pretty easy to read by feel so I don't feel I really have needed a tach but still it would be nice.
Now if my Norge 8V didn't have a tach and a rev limiter I probably would have blown the engine. It revs so effortlessly and smoothly it hits the limiter just as it is getting really fun. :evil:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 08:35:07 PM »
Don't they all have Rev limiters before red line?
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
Doesn't the Ducati Scrambler let you show the tachometer where the odometer display is?  Been a while since I demo'd one, but I thought it did.  Many Harleys show the gear and tachometer at the same time on the odometer display.

I am wrestling with that right now.  I like the "no chrome" on the V7 III Stone, but the tachometer and cool graphics on the Special for only a few dollars more is appealing. 

Or maybe just pick up one of the left over Stornellos that are still out there.

I like the tachometer because I like to maximize fuel economy when I am riding or driving and knowing that I am in the sweet spot for fuel economy would be nice.  Some bikes allow you to ride at lower revs, but require more fuel to maintain speed.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
I've never used them.  The bikes I own now have tachs and I never look at them.  I grew up riding bikes that didn't have them and got used to shifting by the feel and sound of the engine.  It's worked for 56 years so far.  I will admit though that I've never been a serious racer.  If I'd been trying to wring the last ounce of performance out of any of those bikes over the years, I might have a different opinion.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »
Sounds like, from the responses, they are listening to the riders and making the right decision for the rider and business to go ahead and eliminate the tachometer! I would not have thought that would be the case.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:37:03 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
I much prefer to have a tach on any vehicle - but I can see why they're being left off some machines. As has been said, it does reduce costs for the manufacturer. The rationale for having a tach in the old days was to warn you of approaching redline, and to help you identify the power band. Now, with fuel or ignition cut-offs in the ECU, and much less peak in the power curves, a tach isn't the essential it once was.

I wouldn't dismiss a bike just because it didn't have a tach, but I still would opt for a trim level that included one if I had a choice.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »
Like Guzzi Steve says , "rev it 'till it starts shakin' , then shift it"  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Who needs a tach when you can bump the rev limiter. Isn't that there to tell you when to shift?
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
another odd man out here , but i use the tach every ride..i would miss it ... :whip2:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:06:44 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

pete roper

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »
Who needs a tach when you can bump the rev limiter. Isn't that there to tell you when to shift?

No, it's there to stop a rod escaping. They are set conservatively usually.

I think the reason why they don't bother with a tach is due to most owners of the sorts of bikes who don't have them will ever explore the upper end of the rev range. They ride where they feel *comfortable* and that is rarely where the engine is doing much work.

Pete

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 04:25:52 AM »
 :copcar:
The rev limiter is more important to me than the tacho. But I also look at the instrument. Run best between 4000-7000 rpm.
Cuts at ca. 8200 rpm.
California EV 1999

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »
My LMIII doesn't have a tach anymore. Don't miss it one bit. I know when she's happy.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 06:34:15 AM »
From n3303j:
Don't they all have Rev limiters before red line?
Not the older models. Not sure when they become common.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
Wouldn't be without one on the AeroLario. It would be *way* too easy to make the dogga dogga noise.  :smiley:
Come to think of it, the Monza, too. It's redlined at 9000, and would probably go right on past.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
I certainly need and use the tach on my 84 Cali II. It really helps me avoid lugging the engine when accelerating quickly - well as quickly as my old tractor can.  :bike-037:
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 08:03:55 AM »
I like the tach, mostly just because I enjoy knowing exactly what the bike is doing at any moment.

Yes many Harleys didn't have tachs over the years, and I would normally add one if I bought one that didn't, just like I added one to my Jackal.

I think the recent trend we see with the elimination on some models does have to do with $$$, but it is also because most of them have the ability to display it in the ODO screen anyway, so it's like including one without including one.

I'm REALLY glad the Police RK came with one, because it occupied the housing on the tank that otherwise would have been a speedo and they placed a separate speedo on the bar clamp in a much better position than it would be on the civilian model!

So yeah, no tach is not a deal braker, but I still prefer one. I'm not sure if the odo display would suffice as I tend to like other things there like time/temp/mileage etc.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »

Dusty
You can tell w/valve float happens.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
I ride a Stone II and like the tach..  Also like the Stone III, BUT I want the tach..  Like the new V9 series, but like greater fuel capacity.  I'll be stickin' with my Stone II 'cause it has what I like.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
They come in good if you make a note of what speed at what rpm is, in the event your speed odometer crashes as they do on guzzis quite frequently as mine just did on my 07 Calvin at 7k. Other than that pretty much worthless. However looks good beside the speedo

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
I like the tach -- I want to know that I'm cruising at 4k, for instance, and where the lugging point is on my various bikes at the low end. If the smooth-idle speed changes, I want to know, and fix. And it's critical to have a tach for timing with a strobe and balancing carbs.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
Now if that darn shift gear notification would shut off.....

inditx

I read somewhere that the rpm range for the shift indicator can be modified by the rider.  Not sure how but worth checking out.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
Need? Properly not...

But I personally like tach for the reason of:

• Knowing what the bike is doing @ given RPM...sometimes it can give out warning signal if the bike sounds different @ the RPM normally runs at...like...4~5K?
  • Easier to diagnose items such as charging system @ certain RPM (I am talking about all bikes in general)
  • Idle speed!!! this is my biggest pet peeve as my previous bike which had old school idle screw but without tach?!?! That took me FOREVER to set it right...

I know with the new EFI bikes, you don't set set idle with screw rather with computer, but I still would feel better if I know what the idle actually is...and if not right, know when to correct it.
  • Last but not least, it just looks damn sexy with the tach which makes it feels more old school

However, I do understand why manufacture would do without...it is just that much cheaper NOT to have it...and/or more profit for them as well...

well, this is just me...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
I read somewhere that the rpm range for the shift indicator can be modified by the rider.  Not sure how but worth checking out.

Assuming it is the same as the Norge I had, my Stelvio, and my 1400, you get into the menu and change the setting. It does not change the actual point where the limiter kicks in, it simply changes when the flashing light starts to let you know. They are set conservatively when delivered. Maybe for break in reasons, IDK. One of the first things I changes when I bought the above bikes. (At least I **think** I changed it on the 1400.)

John Henry

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 06:22:21 PM »
If my plain vanilla  99 Camry with auto transmission has one, surely all motorcycles should have one.  I like knowing at what rpm my engine is spinning at . I look at the tach more than the speedo I think. I am happiest with a big ol' white faced veglia right in my face ,front and center!  :grin:
Rick.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:23:08 PM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here