Author Topic: Why are 6 gears so hard to keep track of? Turkey talk, too.  (Read 4606 times)

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
Why are 6 gears so hard to keep track of? Turkey talk, too.
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »
I spent the last couple of days exploring some new routes through the northern Wisconsin wilderness, traveling some technical and unfamiliar paths.  Easy, clear 70-80 mph short runs, heading into 35-45 mph tight bends.  In the 4 speed and 5 speed days, I don't recall needing to mentally be so conscious of what gear I was in.  I also wasn't 66 years old then, either, so I understand that factor!  I really could have used a gear indicator (Norge 8V) as I had numerous moments of not knowing what gear I was in that added at least some slight awkwardness at moments.  Why are 6 gears so much more challenging than 5?  Apparently, to my old computer (brain), it represents some sort of threshold that I've passed....

Twice this week, I came around a blind bend to be greeted by wild turkeys.  They seem much bigger, up close from a cycle seat.  They also don't seem to have a sense of the danger and don't scamper to safety as quickly as one would expect.  They've greatly expanded their range in recent years and are much further north than was survivable 10 and 20 years ago after a series of mild winters.
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Why are 6 gears so hard to keep track of? Turkey talk, too.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
I also am getting used to six gears. I find that I'll be going down the road with absolutely no idea what gear I'm in so far.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
Well, I assume you never really kept track of what gear you were in. I mean if you were like me you just shifted in one direction or the other until it didn't anymore. If the motor was running at higher rpm than you were used to you would upshift. If you wanted more power or slowed down you'd downshift. But you weren't constantly aware of what gear you were in right?

Now that said we've got two 5-gear bikes and two 6-gear bikes in the garage now so I think I'm going through the same thing you are. On the 6-gear bikes the difference between 5 and 6 isn't all that great, and there are times I find myself on the highway for a little while in 5th instead of 6th. Differences in bikes and engine rpm probably have something to do with it to. But bottom line it's running slow enough an rpm in 5th that I'm not always looking to upshift again and therefore don't realize it's not in 6th.

That make sense?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »
Yup I suffer too, on the Guzzi one look at Tach & Speedo & I know where in the box I am.

On the Ducati I very rarely have a clue.

Well I do now because I installed a gear indicator and despite all the hot shots on here (& elsewhere) who tell you they always know or the nay-sayers who de-cry them, I would really miss it that little digit on the the side of the dash

John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »
I don't get it, all relative. If it's wrong change it according to engine load, up and down. Why should it make any difference what gear. I guess it's relative to having a need for gauges. Most riders can't just wing it. I used to put on 10K mi in the winter w/no gauges when cables freeze up from ice. Only got stopped once for going faster than traffic.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Moto

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
I spent the last couple of days exploring some new routes through the northern Wisconsin wilderness, traveling some technical and unfamiliar paths.  Easy, clear 70-80 mph short runs, heading into 35-45 mph tight bends. ...

Wait a minute. Wilderness, in Wisconsin? Technical paths? :shocked:

Where were you, exactly? 

Moto
(Madison, Wisconsin)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
My problem is that I keep trying to shift into 7th! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
I have never had that problem with either the 5 speed Cali SS or the 6 speed Cali 1400. I have always been able to tell what gear I am in and about what speed I am going on those, just by ear and with a couple of, but not all of the other bikes I have had over the years.  A recently rented Harley (they didn't have the Triumph Tiger that I had reserved) in Colorado however, left me wondering whether I was in 4th, 5th or 6th and was always checking the gear indicator. 
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
Be careful around turkeys and buzzards. They don't fly until the last second and often make bad decisions about their direction of travel...and they weigh 15-20 lbs.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
I've always been fine with my 4 and 5 speed bikes. My HD has a 6 speed. For whatever reason, I can't keep track on that bike of what gear I'm in. No tach, so I don't have that for help. Maybe with 6 speeds, the gears are closer and not as noticeable as a 5 speed??

Thought I might have been the only one!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
Wait a minute. Wilderness, in Wisconsin? Technical paths? :shocked:

Where were you, exactly? 

Moto
(Madison, Wisconsin)

I live in Rice Lake...  I spent time on the meandering county roads to my northeast and up to Lake Superior areas and toward the UP.  I was purposely getting lost on new-to-me side roads, the Fall colors seemed ahead of time up there so it made for good scenery.  Not too far from me but always worth a stop is the Delta Diner and the interesting people and vehicles that seem to drop in.

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:18:43 PM »
I don't get it, all relative. If it's wrong change it according to engine load, up and down. Why should it make any difference what gear. I guess it's relative to having a need for gauges. Most riders can't just wing it. I used to put on 10K mi in the winter w/no gauges when cables freeze up from ice. Only got stopped once for going faster than traffic.

I notice it most when slowing to turn when other traffic, etc determines when you take the turn.  I also drive by feel and as an old moto-crosser, feel that I have a sense for shift points, up and down when I and the bike are the only factors but when other factors get involved, I find I'm not thinking if I've down-shifted to 3rd or 2nd, for instance.  It just seems that the sixth gear has added some confusity to a relatively simple process.  I had multiple events this week that had me pondering it more and was curious if others were sensing the same thing.  Maybe it's a matter of getting accustomed to it.  I'm down to one bike now and not splitting time with a backwards Eldorado ('73) and heel-shifted EV so perhaps my mind will just settle into one way of doing things now.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
not exactly an old timer rider, but I always find it confusing with 6 speed bikes unless it is a supersports which required a lot higher gearing for higher end speed.

sticking a 6 gear into a typical street/touring/cruising bike is just too short of gap between each gear and I sometimes lost count when I try to go around an intersection without stopping...

All my older bikes were always 5 speed and including my current V7, and I typically end up hanging out usually 3~4 gear if not lower.

But anyway, this is just me...what do I know
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
In the nineties they introduced a turkey population in our mountains, and they survived and spread.

I've met a couple on the road - they have no fear, and expect you to go around them. Sooner or later I'll find out what they taste like.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »

It doesn't matter what gear you're in.  The bike doesn't care what gear you're in.

If you have a tach and pay attention to how the bike feels, you'll know that you're in "the right gear" for your current predicament, no matter which gear that happens to be.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »
just get a convert, no more problems  :grin:

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
As Mike says and Steve intimates why does it matter what gear you're in? Surely anyone who has ridden a motorbike for more than a week can *feel* if they are in the right gear or need to shift? If this is too difficult? Get an automatic, or a bus pass.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
It's a big block. Unless your stationary in 6th, it should just go when you open the throttle. If it doesn't go as quick as you'd like, shift down.  :laugh:

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
6th gear indicator:   :copcar:

Seriously, I kind of like the gear indicator on my K75 (5 speed). But I don't need it. On my Guzzis, I just go by feel, and I do sometimes get the "nothing there" when attempting to shift into 7th.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »
No matter how many speeds, the neutral light illumination lets you know you are going past second to first, as you come to a stop.

3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, 6 speeds: I frequently check that I am in top gear at cruising speeds.
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
Six speeds are good for keeping an engine in it's sweet spot...sorta superfluous with the broad power spread of a big block.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
My K75 had a 5 gear tranny and I was always looking for a 6th. It didn't need a 6th, I just needed to get used to it or pay attention.  It had a gear indicator. My Oui strom has 6 gears and no indicator. I just twist the throttle and tap the lever until it feels right. My Jackal has basically a four gear transmission with this mysterious extra gear called '5th' that I never use unless I am going to cruise at 85 plus for any length of time and I only do that if I am riding with Guzzi Steve. Or the road is empty. Or my Harley riding buddy wants to hit a hundred on xxxxx road. Or if it is Thursday. I always do the ton on Thursday, so I use 5th gear on Thursdays.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
I've never really cared what gear I was in when it wasn't top. And I don't need to be in 1st or 2nd specifically for ultra-slow (intersection) corners.

Sometimes I mis-judge but it's not something I couldn't roll through or roll on again if I needed.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 11:40:34 PM »
My biggest Question is ....  :huh:

With SIX Gears ... Why are we still looking for Super-Slab gear after we get up to speed and level off ?     
I can remember when all the cars were geared to Rd-line about 120mph and they only got 20 mph .    My Chevy Impala is geared to Red-Line about 260mph and gets 30-32 mpg.   so
why cant my bike be geared to get the best mpg  ... heck ... if I wanted a race-bike I wouldn't have a Guzzi .    :rolleyes:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 02:08:56 AM »
The problem with a six speed, aside from being unnecessary, is that most of us have 5 fingers on the clutch hand.  So 5 or fewer gears are easier to keep track of.  I think I read that somewhere.  Here, maybe.  But I say forward gearing is for sissies.  Any time I shift the trike, it goes in another direction altogether.    :evil:

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
  If you are riding a ten speed pedal bike, you aren't always in top gear.  Your speed and riding conditions dictate
 what gear you should be in.  Why should a motorcycle be any different?
 My Van has one of those new infinitely variable trannies.  It works like a tranny on a Honda Ruckass
 It selects the ratio according to speed and road conditioning..  If I drive aggressively it sucks down gas.
 If I drive conservatively it gives better milage than the owners manual says.  The manual says it should get 22 MPG city and 25 MPG country.  The speedo also tells MPG as I drive and MPG average for the life of the vehicle.
 My life of vehicle average is presently 27.  I drive 70 on the interstate and 55 on the back roads and at the speed limit in town.  I have no idea of the durability of this system.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
My bicycle has an indicator of what gear it's in, Ok it's a little red bar, but it tells you the position of both the wheel and crank gears.

I just like an indicator because I know how many gears to go to top or where I am approaching a roundabout etc: when I know I'll need to be in a certain gear at a certain time and I can bang through the box without going too far.

As said it also saves the box some wear by stopping me looking for 7th

Anyway if the Moto GP boys use them that's enough justification for me.

I'm not glued to it nor would I need to park up and get rescued if it failed, it's just a nice to have that allows the few brain cells I have to do things other than counting

We are all different and should celebrate it

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
on the Norge, I just try and keep the engine RPM's at about 4000. That equates to: 50MPH in 4th around 60MPH in 5th and around 70MPH in 6th. If I can't keep it over 70 I don't use 6th gear.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »
I've got two six-speed bikes, and neither one of them needs 6 gears.

As has been said, it doesn't matter if you "know" which gear you're in or not, but the 6-speeds with an engine that's 100 HP+ and 70+ ft-lb of torque just mean more foot motion to go up and down.

My old 40-hp Brit four-speeds are just about right.   The BSAs have a big gap between 2nd and 3rd where I sometimes wish there was another gear, but five is all I've ever needed or wanted ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
The Ural has a 4 speed transmission and I rarely can get it into 4th. If I am going too slow for 4th, I have no power. Well, I  really have no power as it is. It is a nice back roads rig.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here