Author Topic: Who the hell...  (Read 1533 times)

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
Who the hell...
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »
thought up this oddball no-flats crown nut on the port side of my Jackal front axle?
... and was he the same nitwit invented the finned header nut for airhead beemers?
... and if so, why didn't he make us a special wrench to get the effin thing off, like he did for that finned nut?

These are questions which baffle me.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Who the hell...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
I got a hook wrench w/my tool kit, there is also a socket you can buy OR put regular axle nut on it. You can knock it loose w/punch & hammer.

Those engineers were 2nd cousins.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:16:05 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
Yeah, I've asked myself what the benefit to that was - antitheft measure?

Has anybody identified a replacement part number for a standard hex nut ? I'd love to have one to give to my shop when next I do tires.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
I have a couple regular hex nuts left over from when I changed the one on my Centauro. PM me if interested.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »
you can get it off with a channel lock pliers.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
i popped for one of these because i had some cash burning a hole in my pocket at the time.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4515

i didn't want to mar up the weirdo nut so i didn't mind the absurd cost for this one-off socket. eventually i will replace it with a hex nut. if you are in no rush you can borrow mine. i will mail it out you, just cover the post. pm me.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
They use it on the transmission, too. They are probably military surplus Fiat fighter parts from WW2. Gotta use em up somehow..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
channel lock pliers.

Texas Aggie knurling tool.

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
I have a couple regular hex nuts left over from when I changed the one on my Centauro. PM me if interested.

Yeah I'll do that, thanks. One of these days, I need to run round Queen city, hang a Louie at Fredneck, and come see your shop. I should pay you to tune this thing up. The valve clatter drives me crazy and the gas mileage sucks. You do that sort of thing? I've never even heard another V11 run, so I dunno what it should sound like.

I'll gladly swap you cigars for a nut. Or if you don't burn leaves, I'll swap you, I dunno, spirits or such.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »
He doesn't drink, either. Other than that minor character fault  :smiley: he's a good guy.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
So, I would say I'm going to beat off my nut with a drift, if I thot you guys could keep it out of the gutter.

The other things is this: Reason I need the front off is it leaked out all its air the other day. I can't find a nail. Need to pull the tube and dip it in a tank. Problem is, I aired it up and it hasn't leaked since. Nope; not a drop. Don't you hate when something breaks intermittently? Specially a front tire. I know damn well if I say what the hell and go ahead a ride it, soon's that tire heats up, it's going flat and try to dump me. Wish things would just break all the way. Might just get a new tube and swap it out to be on the safe side. Who sells a heavy duty tube for these things?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »
He doesn't drink, either. Other than that minor character fault  :smiley: he's a good guy.

I just don't see the logic of burning or pi$$ing away $$ that could be better spent (motorcycles). Not to mention polluting my lungs and killing off valuable brain cells.  :wink:
Charlie

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:20:22 PM »
I just don't see the logic of burning or pi$$ing away $$ that could be better spent (motorcycles). Not to mention polluting my lungs and killing off valuable brain cells.  :wink:
:1: 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »

The average cigarette smoker carves off about three years of his life span. The average cigar smoker, on the other hand, he lives about three years longer, and he tends to avoid senility. I didn't make that up and I don't attempt to explain it. I'm just telling you the numbers. Now go ahead and shoot the messenger.

... besides ... here's my motto:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here