Author Topic: Who waves and who doesn't? An 8-day non-scientific observation  (Read 8601 times)

Moto

Re: Who waves and who doesn't? An 8-day non-scientific observation
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
Where we live now, out on a peninsula, it is fairly remote, miles away from civilization. In the old days (say, 50 years ago), when there were only "10" people out here instead of "20," every occupant in a motor vehicle would wave when encountering another motor vehicle, even if they did not know it occupants. They do it less now, but they still do it half the time.

It has nothing to do with the make or model of the motor vehicle and everything to do with the camaraderie of being different together, members of a small group or "tribe." I imagine it is the same thing with motorcycles and scooters.

This rings true. It was the same driving cars in backroads Idaho. A signal of mutual respect and a potential offer of assistance if needed down the road.

That's also  how it seemed on motorcycles away from towns across the country, back when breakdowns required help, almost always from other motorcyclists.  It seems different now.

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2017, 09:57:32 PM »
Waving is played out. I don't wave to anyone while riding unless we are well off a main road and I haven't seen another motorcycle in while. If I'm in town then no waving. If there a hundreds of motorcycles out on a nice day, I'm not waving to all of them.

If they are on a Moto Guzzi, Norton, Triumph, pre-70's motorcycle, or any other bike I'm interested in then I will probably wave.

Oh, and if somebody is waving at me then I'll wave. I can't leave anyone hanging.
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »
This rings true. It was the same driving cars in backroads Idaho. A signal of mutual respect and a potential offer of assistance if needed down the road.

That's also  how it seemed on motorcycles away from towns across the country, back when breakdowns required help, almost always from other motorcyclists.  It seems different now.
YES !!!
That was the thrust of the point I was considering in reply # 10

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2017, 10:08:01 PM »
Waving is played out. I don't wave to anyone while riding unless we are well off a main road and I haven't seen another motorcycle in while.

Oh, and if somebody is waving at me then I'll wave. I can't leave anyone hanging.
I reckon that's a totally fair point to make, however if the oncoming rider is of the same mindset as your final line, then he would become a "non waver".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2017, 10:08:01 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2017, 06:04:52 AM »
Back in the `60's I was riding with a German `60 Porsche 356 normal coupe driver who always flashed his headlights @ another oncoming Porsche driver and they did the same.  Don't know if this still goes on.  :undecided:
I seem to remember Dad doing that when he bought a new 3-series in the 80's.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2017, 06:47:23 AM »
Alas, the dark days of winter are upon us...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:50:38 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »

Quote from: Attackpug on December 16, 2017, 06:58:49 PM

I wave at everybody like a looney  :tongue:

Quote from: Idontwantapickle on December 16, 2017, 08:17:40 PM

Me too! I even wave at scooters.

^^^ :thumb: ^^^
Yup, what they said.
When I'm on my scooter, I even wave at bikes. Sometimes (1 in2?) they even wave back!

Beerman
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:23:05 AM by Beerman »
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
I also drive a Land Rover Defender. Defender drivers in the UK wave to one another - it usually signifies one of:

1. Like you, I love my machine even though it is cramped, unwieldy, uncomfortable and drives like a tractor.
2. Didn't I see you in the Kalahari desert on vacation last year?
3. I haven't seen another person in this remote countryside for days.
4. Yes, I've seen Ice Cold in Alex. (Depending on age/nationality you might have to look it up. Great film.)

Beerman
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Offline Luke

• New Egg
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
I used to wave at everything close to being a motorcycle, then it became a brand or type of bike specific required for a return wave. Then the "too cool for school " digits pointed to the ground became popular, I don't acknowledge those, unless it's with a Saturday Night Fever move in response or look down at my bike as if they were telling me something looked wrong. I still wave occasionally, I tell my passengers to do whatever they like, short of flipping someone off, no need to be rude. My brother once commented that in certain areas it would be helpful to have a passenger just to wave if nothing else. Anyway, it doesn't offend me either way, if they don't wave to me we probably wouldn't have anything to say to each other in a social setting off of motorcycles.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »
I try to wave to any Moto riders coming my way.
One time it turned out to be a Motorcycle Officer, he waved back.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
I used to wave at everything close to being a motorcycle, then it became a brand or type of bike specific required for a return wave. Then the "too cool for school " digits pointed to the ground became popular, I don't acknowledge those, unless it's with a Saturday Night Fever move in response or look down at my bike as if they were telling me something looked wrong. I still wave occasionally, I tell my passengers to do whatever they like, short of flipping someone off, no need to be rude. My brother once commented that in certain areas it would be helpful to have a passenger just to wave if nothing else. Anyway, it doesn't offend me either way, if they don't wave to me we probably wouldn't have anything to say to each other in a social setting off of motorcycles.
More importantly..
Hi Luke, welcome to the forum, are you goosed or goosseless at present ?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:54:04 PM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
I try to wave to any Moto riders coming my way.
One time it turned out to be a Motorcycle Officer, he waved back.

Happened to me more than once , those guys are usually serious motorbikers .

Dusty

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
Those MotorCycle Officers have my dream job .  Yea , I know --- where the waiting line ??  :police:

Unless I'm shifting , I usually wave too .  Ya meet the nices people on Hondas  Motorcycles !

Wait , Did I just give my age away ?     Anyway Biker Cop ... ya have the correct equipment to help those poor souls who cut ya off without even using a trun signal first !  :laugh:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:40:53 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
I always wave at motorcyclists whether I'm on one of the Guzzis or the Indian. Here are some of my observations:
Black guys on crotch rockets, even the extended swing arm bikes, nearly ALWAYS wave.
Harley guys on the bigger bikes like Road Kings, ElectraGlides, etc and Sportster guys are much more likely to wave than the guys on the in-between Harley (the factory chopper/custom/low rider wannabe bikes) model riders. Those guys seldom wave.
Guzzi people always wave.
BMW people usually wave.
Ducati riders usually wave.
Jap sport bike riders usually wave.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2017, 12:25:46 PM »
 I was kind of shocked this summer when a couple of Harley riders waved back to me when I was riding my 78 Honda XL125 in full AGATT. Right after this frame they waved, really.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:33:45 PM by steven c »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
4. Yes, I've seen Ice Cold in Alex. (Depending on age/nationality you might have to look it up. Great film.)

Beerman

I have seen it. Anthony Quale was the German agent I believe.

About 58 years on and I still remember the final scene. Brilliant (and tense) film. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here