General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

79 G5 Build

<< < (22/22)

Scout63:

--- Quote from: Rick4003 on September 27, 2021, 03:22:50 AM ---Is it the quick pull double cable Domino throttle you have? I have that one two and found that it has a tendency to go out of sync after a while. I guess when you have two throttle cables moving back and forth every time you turn the bars they will creep a little bit. And never the same amount. I think I will go back to a single cable throttle and a splitter at some point.

"I feel a little empty when I finish a project." - You can always start a new one right away :grin: Or have several in the backlog, that's what I do. Then it feels great when one is finished, then on to the next one after!

--- End quote ---
It is the quick pull Domino Rick.  It works fine now. I had to build custom cables for it, which will get old if it tends to break them. I use the stock cables and cut them back a bit and solder in the adjusters and nipples that fit the Domino.  I do have a very nice 1977 R100S and a 1973 SL125 waiting for restoration.  I usually take a few months and get some maintenance done on the running bikes. I also have most of the parts for a VW dune buggy build that I’ve been putting off.

Rick4003:

--- Quote from: Scout63 on September 27, 2021, 09:54:30 PM --- It is the quick pull Domino Rick.  It works fine now. I had to build custom cables for it, which will get old if it tends to break them. I use the stock cables and cut them back a bit and solder in the adjusters and nipples that fit the Domino.  I do have a very nice 1977 R100S and a 1973 SL125 waiting for restoration.  I usually take a few months and get some maintenance done on the running bikes. I also have most of the parts for a VW dune buggy build that I’ve been putting off.

--- End quote ---

Then it should be the same as I have, It is a bit hard on the throttle hand even with light springs in the carbs. But I have kind of gotten used to it. I don't think about it much apart from really long rides.

I made my own cables to fit the throttle as well, I haven't had any problem with snapping the cables, but it tends to work itself out of synchronization after a while. But works fine other that that. Maybe it is only mine that does that.

kidsmoke:

--- Quote from: Scout63 on September 24, 2021, 09:36:08 PM ---The Dyna III came in today.  Great instructions and easy install. More importantly a big fat spark. I custom built throttle cables for the Domino throttle, checked all the nuts and bolts and fueled it up. Here is the first start:
https://youtu.be/3FqY6K9jvZY
It ran great around the block a few times.  It was my first ride on a big block.  Very smooth and torquey and I instantly liked the heel toe shifter.  I’m really going to like the bike.
There is a lot of sorting to do and I need to install the front fender, retorque the heads, adjust the carbs etc.
 I feel a little empty when I finish a project.

--- End quote ---

Well done, and congrats! Just did my first considerable mileage weekend on my '79. 687 miles over 4 days and one of those a very spirited 156 miles on Kentucky twisties. What wonderful machines, and mine's not 'fresh' like yours is. I imagine you're gonna love it. Cheers!

Chuck in Indiana:

--- Quote from: kidsmoke on October 01, 2021, 08:44:58 AM ---Well done, and congrats! Just did my first considerable mileage weekend on my '79. 687 miles over 4 days and one of those a very spirited 156 miles on Kentucky twisties. What wonderful machines, and mine's not 'fresh' like yours is. I imagine you're gonna love it. Cheers!

--- End quote ---

Awesome.  :thumb: The G5 rocks..

Scout63:

--- Quote from: Chuck in Indiana on October 22, 2021, 07:00:48 AM ---Awesome.  :thumb: The G5 rocks..

--- End quote ---

Thanks and great ride Kidsmoke. I can’t wait for a long shakedown ride.   I’m still sorting. My list right now is:

Crab the frame AGAIN because I forgot to install the front gearbox oil seal and it’s leaking gearbox oil from the bell housing (DUH).
Sort the neutral and oil pressure idiot lights.
Figure out why the new reg/rec is not putting out voltage.
Install the front wheel speed sensor pickup.
Sort a rear drive oil leak.
Sort sticky front brake light switch.

All in all not a bad list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version