Author Topic: How far should i go.....  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Duvn8r

• New Egg
Re: How far should i go.....
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 05:44:14 AM »
If you pull the nut, can you be confident you have pre loaded it correctly upon re assembly ?
are you talking about this one? item N

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 06:32:18 AM »
Here's a couple of photo's of the uni...just for interests sake...
It has a shiny end (the gearbox end)
and a dark end, the bearing end.
during disassembly the uni kinda just fell out of the bearing.

Chuck, you mentioned these are a press fit together so I'm slightly concerned, the uni can just slot in and out of the bearing with relative ease.
As per the photo it looks like the uni has been spinning in the bearing independently of the bearing which would explain discolouration due to heat.
The bearing itself feels fine and the rest of the uni feels perfect i.e. zero play....
is this cause for concern?
Also the outer ends measure up slightly differently, the discoloured end is 29.98mm and the gearbox end is 30.28mm.
can i just turn it around and press it back in? or is that asking for trouble?

So Oil based fluid…is coming forward from the rear drive…think of a slightly pressurized rear drive spinning furiously. When the uni backs out of the bearing like that then the rear drive oil is allowed forward

I’ll stop here for recommending solutions. My source is Dr Dave/Guzziology, and fussing w Convert universal joints myself. But you’re seeing the results of not being pressed in…lots of friction/heat going on in there

I think a factory workshop manual might have the specs on the interference fit. Your correct to measure, now measure inside the bearing.

Now that i think of it, i remember it’s a press fit on the tonti wristpins done by heating.

I’m wondering, and that’s dangerous..

Could one insert uni into bearing before installing in the swingarm? By using heat, like the wrist pin method to Press them together per spec then install to the swingarm..uhhhh that makes sense…maybe…never done it that way and I don’t have any to try

I’ll note the /2 bmw swingarms of that period ran the entire shaft and uni in gear oil
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Duvn8r

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
So Oil based fluid…is coming forward from the rear drive…think of a slightly pressurized rear drive spinning furiously. When the uni backs out of the bearing like that then the rear drive oil is allowed forward

I’ll stop here for recommending solutions. My source is Dr Dave/Guzziology, and fussing w Convert universal joints myself. But you’re seeing the results of not being pressed in…lots of friction/heat going on in there

I think a factory workshop manual might have the specs on the interference fit. Your correct to measure, now measure inside the bearing.

Now that i think of it, i remember it’s a press fit on the tonti wristpins done by heating.

I’m wondering, and that’s dangerous..

Could one insert uni into bearing before installing in the swingarm? By using heat, like the wrist pin method to Press them together per spec then install to the swingarm..uhhhh that makes sense…maybe…never done it that way and I don’t have any to try

I’ll note the /2 bmw swingarms of that period ran the entire shaft and uni in gear oil

I was thinking the same re fitting uni to bearing first but there's a circlip holding the bearing in to the swingarm and I don't think there'd be a way to install that after the fact....
I'll ref Dr Dave bible for specs, cheers

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 07:02:19 PM »
I think you can "peen" some dimples into the u-joint surface using a hammer and punch. This will increase the interference fit between the joint and the bearing .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 07:02:19 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here