General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.

<< < (119/121) > >>

LesP:
The stanchions were not straight enough to use so removed the forks from the bike (early) so I could use those ('The best quality as MGC described) and the expensive bronze bushes (along with the custom machined bush to retainer wire spacers)

It was no surprise that cyling them gave little damping so am sure this mod is nothing new and been done in the past by someone.
Race Tech do both the compression and rebound Gold valves for these cartridges so that is a future drop in option.
The bike itself runs fine so no need to address that.
I will modify the front brake (floating/shoe aligning backing plate) and consider machining a brace as per Norton kits to tie the pivots and pedestals together to reduce flexing.

LesP:
Oddly enough this simple project is stalled with no reply from the AU Race Tech agent so have contacted another vendor regarding Wirth progressive internal springs for an 850 T3 which should fit. (I asked if they could confirm the size of around 420 mm long and 25.5 mm OD that I found elsewhere before placing an order)

It should work in theory and complement the IKON's while still retaining the drum brake front end.

62 this month.  :grin:

Edit, instead of going around in circles I simply rang Mario @ Thunderbike in Perth.
No surprise, super helpful, knowledgeable and knew the spring lengths just like that and in stock.

LesP:
On a side note I finally got some cables for the jumbo splitter, The result was better than expected and feather light so a win for the Teflon slider Super Pratic to 32 mm PHF conversion.
Wirth Le mans MK1 fork springs, new distributor springs (for the hall effect/VW module/TCI coil dist) and a new brake cable boot in the mail.
The not broke to fix list is all but done.
I think this will be the most modified stock Eldorado in my neighborhood.

To be continued one day..............

Rick4003:

--- Quote from: LesP on October 16, 2021, 05:17:45 AM ---
I think this will be the most modified stock Eldorado in the world. 

--- End quote ---

Fixed it for you.

Great work Les. Can you tell more about the fork modifications? What is the new internals from?

LesP:
I think they were listed (eBay) as 1994 to 1997 Honda VFR 750 (AU$66 + local post) and are the steel body so 22.5 mm OD.
Only time will tell if the ports in the bodies are big enough to avoid harshness like a damper rod fork on big hits but Race Tech do replacements as an option.

There are later 20 mm CBR (2000's) cartridges but probably have an alloy body of a larger OD which would become a problem with flow in the area of the damper OD and ID of the fastener that holds the lower stanchion bush on the Loop fork.
I bored them to 25.5 mm.

It probably could have been done for under $100 if I had modified the forks original to the bike and not bought Wirth internal springs.
The Honda fork probably has more travel (only 110 mm on the loop) so I will remove around 35 mm from the cartridge bottom, four new holes for oil flow and cut a new internal clip groove that holds the compression body.
That will reduce the oil level which probably would have been to high with this short fork, that also means the Wirth springs will fit.

The only thing that might need to be done is another taller tapered cap for the cartridge bottom that slows flow via restriction at that bush holding fastener ID to stop clashing at full travel (stanchion bush fastener hitting the bottom of the slider)
If it has some compression and rebound damping (5wt or 7.5wt fork oil) that will be good enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version