Author Topic: NGC. Vehicle situation, what would you do???  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC. Vehicle situation, what would you do???
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2021, 02:20:35 PM »
<Guzzi content> Remove the rear driveshaft and go front wheel drive until you get the rear fixed.
Many years ago, I was driving my 1980 (AMC) CJ-7 jeep home from work.  It was just after dark, and all of the sudden it sounded like someone was wailing away on the underside of my Jeep with a sledge hammer!  The noise only lasted for a few seconds, and I found myself coasting to a stop.  Hmmmm, this can't be good, I thought to myself.  As most of you may have figured out, my Jeeps rear driveshaft had parted company from the rest of the driveline.  The front universal joint had let go, allowing the shaft to flail away on the under body until it came loose from the rear universal.  Got out my flashlight and walked back up the (deserted, thank goodness) road a few yards and there was my driveshaft laying in the middle of the street.  Now what am I supposed to do?  Wait, I'll just engage the front wheels and drive home on them.  Worked like a charm and was much cheaper than a tow.

Don't know how practical it would be on a RAM pickup.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 02:21:54 PM by Motormike »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2021, 02:23:06 PM »
I'd get rid of the Ram.  Have no idea for what.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2021, 02:35:57 PM »
More info from a dealer mechanic... the pinion nut was known to loosen and trash the bearings..Just fix it he says....

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2021, 03:17:41 PM »
Ditch the Ram and get a new Yota!
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2021, 03:17:41 PM »

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2021, 04:05:45 PM »
There has got to be parts available to rebuild your current unit. The question is finding a shop qualified to do it. Check local listings for Driveline Service. I have used that company in Denver, Redding Ca, and Reno Nv. Excellent service and fast.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2021, 04:13:37 PM »

These guys sell the kits and may know of a shop in your area to do the work. Worth a phone call...........
                        https://www.differentials.com/products/differential-rebuild-kits/

Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2021, 04:42:04 PM »
I don't know what YOU should do (only you can really answer that).

Me? I'd go #1 in a heartbeat.

Or a blend of #1 and wait, what was it #2 I think ...

I'd buy a new truck, could be the Nissan Frontier (I like the midsize and it's the bargain in the segment right now) but I'd more likely spring for the Gladiator because it's so much fun.

But at the same time I'd hold onto the Ram and fix it, and use it for heavy duty work.

I've been causally shopping for another vehicle to go along with my current Jeep since the wife picked up her Defender last year.

Ohh, and I don't know what it's like where you are, but around here the dealers have lost their friggin minds with greed. I've got a growing list that I'll never buy from in the future because of the crap they are pulling. Stopped at the closest Nissan dealer this past week to show the Frontier to Jenn and they had a mid-level one with an MSRP of ~$34k and a supplemental sticker on it that said "+$7,500 market adjustment" - that Mother F'r is forever dead to me. I will never walk on the lot again.

So that might change my answer right now....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 04:45:07 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2021, 05:40:28 PM »
I like the drop the driveshaft and drive it in front wheel drive. Then find a rebuild kit and someone to install it.

Pete

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2021, 05:58:18 PM »
I'm unclear as to why the whole rear end needs to be replaced. Is the housing cracked? Did a bearing race spin and ruin the lands? Spending a bit more on new guts would seem far superior to waiting 6 months for a used unit of unknown quality. Has the mechanic even bothered to quote a rebuild?
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »
Ditch the Ram and get a new Yota!
Yup, sell a 7 year old truck needing a 1000 to 2000 grand repair and buy a new 50 grand truck You gys are just flush with money...... :laugh:

bobrebos

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2021, 07:52:29 PM »
I’m going to hang on to the ram and get the rearend fixed when the replacement rear end is in, or get the existing rear end rebuilt, whichever I have luck getting accomplished.  No the mechanic has not spoken of rebuilding the existing rear end, just replacing it with a used rearend, but I will check around on getting the existing one rebuilt. 

I also will search in the meantime for a used vehicle to drive in the meantime.  New vehicles are just to pricey for me and I don’t like car payments.  I can’t afford to pay cash for a 60k new pickup truck, and don’t want high car payments so used is the way I will go.  I guess I’m taking my chances in getting a quality used vehicle to be a backup for my ram.  I understand the used vehicle I buy may break down and require repair/service but I doubt it would be $60k worth of service which a new truck would cost me.  Thanks for all the ideas.  Now to go used truck/suv shopping.  Merry Christmas everyone!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:43:27 AM by bobrebos »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2021, 06:46:06 AM »
I lot of Mechanic's will never dig into a rear diff and have zero clue how to set up gears. "Just replace it" Same with trans, and heck even motors. Unless the housing is bent, its really not bad to replace bearings, gears or whatnot in what you have. Just about any town has a 4x4 shop, or a hotrod shop that can do them in their sleep. Might be worth it to have someone that knows them, take a look.
Paul B

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2021, 07:17:28 AM »
I lot of Mechanic's will never dig into a rear diff and have zero clue how to set up gears. "Just replace it" Same with trans, and heck even motors. Unless the housing is bent, its really not bad to replace bearings, gears or whatnot in what you have. Just about any town has a 4x4 shop, or a hotrod shop that can do them in their sleep. Might be worth it to have someone that knows them, take a look.

THIS!, Used vehicles are at stupid prices now. Don't even consider it. I drove an old Bronco for years in 4x4 mode with no drive shaft to the rear. Do that  while you order new bearings and a ring and pinion. It's not hard to replace if you have a real mechanic not a parts replacer.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2021, 07:54:55 PM »
I talked to my friend today about this. As RER stated. You MAY be qualified for a DEALER RECALL on the rear end. He said that if it was the pinion nut, if he remembers right, that trashed the rear end, it's under a recall. WARRANTY does not matter if it's a RECALL. Dealer has to fix it. It may not have been the pinion nut, but he does remembers a recall on about your year truck.

I do not know if your truck is covered. DEFIANTLY worth checking into.

Good luck!!!!!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

bobrebos

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2021, 04:03:33 AM »
I talked to my friend today about this. As RER stated. You MAY be qualified for a DEALER RECALL on the rear end. He said that if it was the pinion nut, if he remembers right, that trashed the rear end, it's under a recall. WARRANTY does not matter if it's a RECALL. Dealer has to fix it. It may not have been the pinion nut, but he does remembers a recall on about your year truck.

I do not know if your truck is covered. DEFIANTLY worth checking into.

Good luck!!!!!!
Tom

I will check into it.  Thank you!

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2021, 05:14:19 AM »

Rebuilding although better long term is usually not cheaper than throwing another second hand unit at it, the mechanic may have seen the Guzzi sticker and figured he would cater to his audience :P . With driveline parts depending on how much of a hurry you are in its usually worth paying a professional, the parts and usually expensive and if you get it wrong in 6 months you'll be buying another set of parts to do it all again.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

bobrebos

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2021, 08:19:12 AM »
https://www.cars.com/research/ram-1500-2014/recalls/?page=1

I’m checking with another local 4x4 shop on repairing or replacing the rearend.  I didn’t see any recalls affecting the rearend on my 2014 ram.  Hopefully I can get the ram fixed and I’m looking at older used jeep wranglers for a second vehicle, in the meantime! 

bobrebos

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2021, 08:24:26 AM »
I'm unclear as to why the whole rear end needs to be replaced. Is the housing cracked? Did a bearing race spin and ruin the lands? Spending a bit more on new guts would seem far superior to waiting 6 months for a used unit of unknown quality. Has the mechanic even bothered to quote a rebuild?

I’m looking into a local 4x4 shop to see if rearend can be rebuilt.  I was told a main bearing in the rearend was failing causing a whining sound coming from rearend starting or most noticeable at 40mph.  I was originally told the rearend had to be replaced, not repaired.  I am getting a second opinion from another place. 

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2021, 10:45:00 AM »
I'd say that's a highly repairable situation. Whining pinion bearing does not necessarily mean that the gears are damaged. A good inspection of the pinion & ring gear wear pattern can determine that. A new bearing and proper backlash setup could have you sorted.

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2021, 03:16:09 PM »
I have to believe that any good local bearing house can fix you up with a new one.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2021, 03:41:34 PM »
 Randy's  shows over 200 3.90 ring and pinion sets in stick and over 45 master bearing kits. Both cost about 600 bucks.. Should be about  400 to 500 for labor at a non dealer shop...

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2021, 06:09:58 PM »

Find a good auto recycler in the area and buy a used assembly. There should be one near there that will sell it with one year or more warranty that includes replacement labor.
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

bobrebos

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2021, 05:28:26 AM »

Find a good auto recycler in the area and buy a used assembly. There should be one near there that will sell it with one year or more warranty that includes replacement labor.

We have been trying to find one locally at auto recycling shops with no luck yet.  Found one for 3500.00 so far here and mechanic said don’t pay that much for used,  so we are still looking.  In the meantime it is going into a 4x4 shop 6 Jan for a full inspection to see what exactly is all going out/breaking. 

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2021, 06:18:07 AM »
Rebuilding although better long term is usually not cheaper than throwing another second hand unit at it, the mechanic may have seen the Guzzi sticker and figured he would cater to his audience :P . With driveline parts depending on how much of a hurry you are in its usually worth paying a professional, the parts and usually expensive and if you get it wrong in 6 months you'll be buying another set of parts to do it all again.

Yes, that is true, but the OP had stated that they cant find a used one with the right gear ratio. Also depending on the cost, and if they are in fact a known issue with that era rear fixing might be the cheapest way out. Either way is much cheaper then buying a new/used car or truck.
Paul B

LesP

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2021, 06:23:31 AM »
Things might be different in this part of the world but if the truck was somewhat unusable (and a keeper) due to bearing whine (which is not a bearing failure) at this stage, I (or get a shop) would pull the assembly down and find the problem.

The ring and pinion might be fine (so why replace it) and if only a bearing (with no damage to associated parts (head or housing) a fairly straight forward job.

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2021, 07:43:55 AM »
We have been trying to find one locally at auto recycling shops with no luck yet.  Found one for 3500.00 so far here and mechanic said don’t pay that much for used,  so we are still looking.  In the meantime it is going into a 4x4 shop 6 Jan for a full inspection to see what exactly is all going out/breaking.

Search on car-part.com. All the major recyclers have their inventory on it.
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2021, 07:56:38 AM »
If you are looking for a recycled one how would you know its not from the same year(s) as the bad ones? I never understood the logic of replacing a bad part with another bad part.

Pete

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »
In the meantime it is going into a 4x4 shop 6 Jan for a full inspection to see what exactly is all going out/breaking.

Good deal.

If it can be fixed, you'll be better off - and quite likely money ahead, I suspect.

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »
 I have tightened the pinion nut and a whiner got quiet...this has to be done with some caution and experience..
 Pete is correct, just fix it. I'm a bit surprised by some remarks to more or less give up on and otherwise good truck.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here