Author Topic: NGC New BSA Gold Star  (Read 5491 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Re: NGC New BSA Gold Star
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2021, 07:21:28 PM »
So  you have an air cooled car or truck? :wink:

I’m sorta kidding. :grin:  But I am opposed to poison-mobiles and don’t understand why folks hate dogs. :wink: 

I don’t travel by truck or car.  An honest air-cooled Guzzi gets me around 97% of the time.  Otherwise it’s an air cooled Ducati.  I do have a poison-cooled BMW F650 Funduro, but that was Dusty’s idea. 

In all seriousness, I liked the idea of a reincarnated BSA Gold Star.  The poison cooling and radiator really does kill it for me.   Not my cup of tea, but I hope they do well.  Looks like an honest, fun bike. 

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:23:16 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2021, 08:02:14 PM »
The exhaust header appears too big, and there is something odd about the forks.  Liquid cooling, seems out of place.
That may be a shield covering the length of the header..
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Moto Vita

• Hatchling
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2021, 10:35:15 PM »
As much as I lean toward air-cooled bikes, one simply can’t look past the difference that it helps with power. So fun to see thumpers putting out some power AND torque. Curious if the build quality will match the power hype. Overall this Goldstar certainly looks more polished than the 650 INT, IMO. Except that dang chubby exhaust. I’m sure a good aftermarket stainless steel pipe would look better.

I imagine that riders who want top performance won't be buying a 650 single. They're selling nostalgia, not performance, as evidenced by the rear shocks.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2021, 05:51:30 AM »

yep.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is a double or even a triple wall pipe to prevent discoloring.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2021, 05:51:30 AM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2021, 05:56:01 AM »
The engineers and designers at Mahindra and other car/cycle companies can identify with how supermodels feel.

Ya bust yer ass to overcome a million techincal/production challenges to get a product manufactured or to look great.... and someone in the peanut gallery says:

"the pipe is too big!"
"I don't like the radiator!"
"her ass is too big!"
"her tits are too small!"

:wink:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2021, 06:23:22 AM »
I imagine that riders who want top performance won't be buying a 650 single. They're selling nostalgia, not performance, as evidenced by the rear shocks.

I didn’t say they would be looking for top performance. But this single is putting out comparable power to the 650 INT, W800, V7, so why wouldn’t it steal some of those buyers? An Enfield Bullet doesn’t hold a candle to the performance of midweight bikes, but this one is right in the mix.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2021, 07:20:59 AM »
I didn’t say they would be looking for top performance. But this single is putting out comparable power to the 650 INT, W800, V7, so why wouldn’t it steal some of those buyers? An Enfield Bullet doesn’t hold a candle to the performance of midweight bikes, but this one is right in the mix.

I think you are correct. People that buy Enfields, W800 and current Moto Guzzi's aren't looking for top performance or they would be buying something else. On the other hand, I feel the need to defend my lovely Sophia.......The V7III has approx 14% more power and the new V7 nearly 30% more, than the claimed power of the new BSA...so not sure one would say that is comparable. I will test the BSA when it comes out and maybe buy one after 2 years of teething issues. Classic Legends had plenty of problems with the early Jawa bikes, enough so that the CEO of Mahindra stated publicly that he was sorry he got into the motorcycle business. Great way to turn off potential customers..........
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2021, 08:08:03 AM »
The  V7III has approx 14% more power and the new V7 nearly 30% more, than the claimed power of the new BSA...so not sure one would say that is comparable.

Don’t forget that these horsepower claims come from brake hp, which is significantly more than rear wheel hp on shaft-driven bikes compared to chain or belt-drives. I’ve seen mentions as much of a 20% loss in older shaft-driven bikes, which may be an erroneous number, or simply too generic for so many different bike models produced throughout the years. The newer small block Guzzis appear to be more like a ~10% loss. Chain drive is definitely less than that.

Attached are dynos for the V7 II and III:

V7 II (mine):
Engine Capacity: 750cc
Brake hp: 46 hp
Dyno’ed RWhp: 41.7 hp (~10% loss)
Torque: 39.8 lb-ft
Curb Weight (claimed): 454

V7 III:
Engine Capacity: 750cc
Brake hp: 52 hp
Dyno’ed RWhp: 48 hp (~9% loss)
Torque: 44.3 lb-ft
Curb Weight (claimed): 461-470 lb

New V7 850:
Engine Capacity: 850cc
Brake hp (claim): 65 hp
RWhp (my assumption): 58.5 RWhp (~10% loss)
Torque (claim): 54 lb-ft
Curb Weight (claimed): 480 lb

New BSA Gold Star:
Engine Capacity: 650cc
Brake hp (claim): 45 hp
RWhp (my assumption): 42.7 hp (~5% loss)
Torque (claim): 40.5 lb-ft
Curb Weight (claimed): 469.5 lb

Compared to MY V7, it’s definitely comparable. Would need dynos and recorded actual wet weights of all bikes to help truly figure it out. Regardless, they all still seem comparable to me… much more so than a classic air-cooled thumper.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:51:27 AM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:33 AM »

There are low-tox options . For a dirtbike that might get ridden in remote places air cooling is the dog's meow , for a street bike will there ever be a real issue . I'm holding out for an E bike anyway .

TS
The perfect dirt bike will be electric. Instant torque, no noise. <shrug>
FWIW, many years ago, I found this MZ in a pile. Cheap. (Guzzi content)  :smiley: Uses the Yamaha 660 single. I put the coolant in it, closed the cap, and that is the last time I've even thought about cooling. Get stuck in LA traffic where you can't lane split? No problemo. The fans kick on as necessary..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
Excellent infor Dir_S! I had not seen these dyno curves nor did I know about the extra losses for shaft drive. And now I see why my bike gets to be so much fun at 4,000 rpm.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »

That is a shield.  The exhaust pipe is routed under the bike thru probably a catalytic converter and then out again.  The shield makes the exhaust look continuous and on to the muffler.  The water cooled Triumph Bonnevilles do exactly the same thing with exhaust routed into and out of a cat converter at the front of the engine - the shield or shroud makes the exhaust pipe look like one continuous pipe.  Interesting disguise...
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2021, 12:30:31 PM »
Thanks for confirmation.
Suspected it was. :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline henwilv

• New Egg
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2021, 03:14:56 PM »
The engineers and designers at Mahindra and other car/cycle companies can identify with how supermodels feel.

Ya bust yer ass to overcome a million techincal/production challenges to get a product manufactured or to look great.... and someone in the peanut gallery says:

"the pipe is too big!"
"I don't like the radiator!"
"her ass is too big!"
"her tits are too small!"

:wink:

Life's a bitch and then you die!
As far as I'm concerned:
The first two criticisms are valid
The last two aren't!

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2021, 03:19:07 PM »
An old BSA rider with some inside scoop from the manufacturers says there are some in India right now with 90 hp:

https://youtu.be/yzAqeSCLZrI

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2021, 01:48:24 AM »
90 HP out of a single?
even with a more cc, that sounds pretty unlikely,
that would have been a winner in the SOS singles racing class.
outpowering exotica like the supermono or the woods rotaxes.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2021, 06:47:52 AM »
90 HP out of a single?
even with a more cc, that sounds pretty unlikely,
that would have been a winner in the SOS singles racing class.
outpowering exotica like the supermono or the woods rotaxes.

I doubt it’s a single. Was assuming they maybe have another engine in development that they’re farting around with.

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2021, 08:22:36 AM »
I think so too.
At least rumour has it they will launch a twin soon.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2021, 12:10:52 PM »
Following up on the 90 hp bike that I mentioned was rumored. Looks like the company got a big grant from the UK to develop electric bikes, so perhaps that 90 hp bike is an electric one. No electric bikes = no financial aid to produce.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bsa-is-back-weve-evolved-but-our-dna-remains-unaltered/

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2021, 09:26:58 PM »
Interesting article, particularly this section:

The large capacity single-cylinder is all but dead in the modern era, especially in markets with strict emission norms. However, with its 652cc capacity, a 4-valve, dual overhead camshaft (DOHC), liquid-cooled design and the drive chain on the right side, the Gold Star’s engine looked very similar to an engine we have experienced in India in the distant past – the one used on the BMW F650 Funduro from well over two decades ago. This engine was built by Austrian engineering firm Rotax, and the new BSA motor is also licensed from them.

Understandably, the BSA motor is a heavily reworked, modernised version with fuel-injection and Euro 5 compliance. The enormous task of meeting modern emissions and refinement standards was handled in conjunction with the highly respected Technical University of Graz, in Austria. TU Graz also handled the visual design of the engine, which is completely different from the base Rotax engine, and made to look as similar to the original Gold Star singles as possible.

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-news/bsa-gold-star-engine-india-launch-details-revealed-422907
Charlie

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2021, 12:54:04 PM »
By the way...speaking of way cool 500cc "cult-classic" Honda's...these were always a favorite of mine!

give kids the world village
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2021, 01:06:50 PM »
Regarding dealer network for these emerging brands, I recently discovered that Bumpus Harley-Davidson in Memphis, TN is now a Royal Enfield dealer.  To me, something like that could be a game changer.  If I want a new MG, the closest dealer is five hours away.  A new Triumph dealer is three hours away.  Royal Enfield at 45 minutes changes the picture.  I see it as a good opportunity for a HD dealer since the Sportster has been removed from that price point market.  So, BSA won't sell without dealers, just like everyone else.

As a side, I don't see the big single BSA as direct competition to the RE twin, but more as filling the gap left when RE dropped the 500 single.  I think they'll have different buyers in the retro market.  Of course, the important thing will be price and availability.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2021, 03:40:51 PM »
By the way...speaking of way cool 500cc "cult-classic" Honda's...these were always a favorite of mine!

My friends Carol and Joe had a pair, I made luggage for them.

Charlie

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2021, 07:40:03 AM »
well im late to the party but BSA being brought back is pretty neat (like many Im a sucker for vintage marketing in motorcycles). I have talked to few older gentlemen who told me about their BSA motorcycle with a gleam in their eye. I looked at the specs for the royal enfield seems pretty comparable in power. I wonder if their will be a difference in gearing compared to the enfield and whether this will push Enfield into liquid cooling for the 650. Overall I hope they do well. I think Royal enfield probably has the advantage in dealer network at this point but I hope to see them in US.

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2021, 08:01:23 AM »
Well it seems that Motorcycle "Daily" belatedly has heard about the reintroduction of the Gold Star.  Yesterday they posted this:

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2021/12/2022-bsa-gold-star-debuts-when-the-past-becomes-present/

Nothing new that you haven't read if you've been following this thread.  Hope Mahindra is successful in establishing a U.S. dealer network for their retro, that the pricing is competitive with RE and that the quality is top notch too.  It will be interesting to watch this unfold!
'22 Royal Enfield Int650

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2021, 10:12:13 AM »
I like it!!! - - and I hope it comes to the USA soon!! :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :thumb: :thumb: :smiley:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online 9fingers

• Gosling
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2021, 07:41:33 AM »
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/2022-bsa-gold-star-first-look-preview/

Interesting comment from that article...

Here’s to hoping Mahindra utilizes their existing dealer network for reintroducing BSA to the US market - lack of dealerships is a problem that this move could solve. With the US being such a small part of the worldwide motorcycle market these days starting up new dealerships or selling franchises to existing ones must be a struggle. There are two Mahindra shops less than a half hour from my house - the closest Royal Enfield or Triumph shops are over an hour away.
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »
Interesting comment from that article...

Here’s to hoping Mahindra utilizes their existing dealer network for reintroducing BSA to the US market - lack of dealerships is a problem that this move could solve. With the US being such a small part of the worldwide motorcycle market these days starting up new dealerships or selling franchises to existing ones must be a struggle. There are two Mahindra shops less than a half hour from my house - the closest Royal Enfield or Triumph shops are over an hour away.

Those interesting comments were not made by the CycleWorld writers but by someone commenting afterwards with a pretty logical thought about a Mahindra dealer network.  Mahindra has more dealers within 250 miles of Cleveland, OH than I think Guzzi has in the entire country - interesting.  Not sure what some of those dealerships look like but...  I didn't get a count of Mahindra dealers throughout the whole country, but believe they may be in the hundreds.  It might seem like a logical choice to use some of these dealers to handle their new BSA retro bike.  See this Mahindra website for dealers in your state (scroll down on this website for state by state queries):  https://www.mahindrausa.com/--locate-a-dealer
'22 Royal Enfield Int650

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2021, 07:46:53 PM »
Mmm? I've got one within 25 miles of me, though it IS an ACE Hardware store... :boozing:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2021, 08:14:50 PM »
Mmm? I've got one within 25 miles of me, though it IS an ACE Hardware store... :boozing:

I think that was the way that Honda started in many places...I hope Mahindra gets off to a good start, their new Gold Star is a beauty!  I hope they sell boat loads of them.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here