Author Topic: Battery voltage vs state of charge  (Read 696 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Battery voltage vs state of charge
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »
Interesting table from ADVRider.  I didn’t know state of charge and resting voltage showed such a linear relationship.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Battery voltage vs state of charge
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 05:03:17 AM »
Suspect that is for a new battery.

Food for thought, at least on the calcium technology wet cell batteries, once the voltage drops to 12 volts a lot of smart chargers will not recognise it as a battery and just sit there saying it is fully charged.  I have an old "dumb" charger (an old transformer type) and they don't care what the hell the voltage is.  Put the battery on that for 1/2-1 hour, bring the voltage up and then the smart charger will do it's thing.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 06:49:16 AM »
Good on ya Muzz . That’s why I treasure my vintage Craftsman batt. Charger .
Also , cranking voltage is very important , I get concerned when it goes down to 10v or so .

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 07:24:53 AM »
https://tecmate.com/products/ts-126/

This little guy here stops a whole lot of issues before they become real problems
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 07:24:53 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 08:22:30 AM »
Interesting table from ADVRider.  I didn’t know state of charge and resting voltage showed such a linear relationship.

That chart is often shown on RV sites. But often people do not understand that it is meaningless for a battery with even the slightest load. The battery must be fully rested for hours for that chart to apply.

I have one of these gadgets on each motorcycle, and my camper battery. Very handy to chart charge voltages and battery resting voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/Kanruis-Bluetooth-Wireless-Cranking-Compatible/dp/B08YR4NQX3/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=battery+monitor+bm2&qid=1638886865&sr=8-4
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 08:25:36 AM »
NOCA genius 10 amp charger is on my wish list as it does charge from a really low voltage and I believe will desulfate  as well. At 100 bucks it is not cheap but looks to be a charger that can do almost everything.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »
NOCA genius 10 amp charger is on my wish list as it does charge from a really low voltage and I believe will desulfate  as well. At 100 bucks it is not cheap but looks to be a charger that can do almost everything.

Had to look that up Mike.  Charges as low as 1 volt.  That alone differentiates it from most other smart chargers.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 03:53:08 PM »
Does that not make the assumption that a battery discharged that severely is indeed recoverable?

Some info: https://www.recovermybatteries.com/batterybasics1.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 03:55:36 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 06:08:59 AM »
If you measure the individual wet cells of a full charge it can be as high as 2.2 volts each X 6 cells = 13.2 volts. Notice the chart says 12.6 +..

What I’ve heard about that chart is how 60% of your battery lives between 12.6 and 11.9 volts

About every 1/10th volt is worth 10% of your battery

So finding/gaining an 0.3 volts thru your charging system by cleaning all the grounds and a second ground off the recitifryer was worth the trouble

And using the adjustable regulators,  on a Convert, you can overcome the draw from the headlight. Just don’t run too long without the headlight

On another bike, the charging system never tops off the battery (12.4 volts) and its best to plug it in after a ride. Charger brings it back up to 12.7/8 resting, and suddenly the starter is working correctly. 0.3 volts difference seems like very little but it’s 30% of the battery
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 07:07:38 AM »
The chart seems useless to me.  Using voltage is an indicator as a percentage of state of charge is deceiving, you still wouldn't know what the battery capacity is.  If I were to disassemble my perfectly good 12.6v battery, cut the 6 plates in half and reassemble with the half  plates, my battery would still be at 12.6v.  However, the capacity would now be half and would not have the ability to do what I need it to do.  Basically, performance that mimics a partially sulphated battery.

A few of you have mentioned aftermarket state of charge indicators, etc. that you've mounted on your vehicles.  While looking at those devices described, I came across some devices that perform non-destructive battery load testing (unlike Milton style units), indicate battery health, charging & cranking system checks, etc. starting at around $32 (e.g. Konnwei KW210, etc.).  I think I might buy one of these devices versus using my voltmeter to troubleshoot problems as I have done for decades.  It seems to me that these low cost devices yield way more useful information than checking your battery voltage and then comparing that value to a chart on the wall....imho.

'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 07:32:45 AM »
Look around your house, I guarantee you have several old Wall Worts stuffed in a drawer that will put out 12 Volts at half an amp or more, these things will revive a battery from dead flat to a point where your fancy battery tender knows what its dealing with.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »
Look around your house, I guarantee you have several old Wall Worts stuffed in a drawer that will put out 12 Volts at half an amp or more, these things will revive a battery from dead flat to a point where your fancy battery tender knows what its dealing with.

If not, one could possibly jump the dead battery momentarily with a good battery to get your smart charger on-line ??!!  But depending how long it has been flat dead your efforts could be too late. And, if the dead battery has been subjected to freezing temps, don't waste your time, it's dead for good.

'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here