General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1948 Airone - restoration

<< < (34/47) > >>

Canuck750:
I picked up a tub of grease, greased up the cones and installed the 1/4" diamter ball bearings,

Then it was an easy job to hang the forks and install the handlebars

twodogs:
Always amazed at what you do, great work  :boozing:
Bruce

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: twodogs on September 24, 2021, 07:26:50 AM ---Always amazed at what you do, great work  :boozing:
Bruce

--- End quote ---

Thanks Two Dogs!

I got the headlight back on today, not much more than that, its a warm sunny day and time to go for a ride

Canuck750:
I finaly got some more parts back form the painter to continue with the Airone build, front and rear wheel hubs painted.

The rest of the sheet metal parts are getting close to final prime, my painter ground out all the high temp filler I had in the rear fender for powder primer and welded in new steel sections, I was reminded, firmly, to not help him out with my POS atempts at body work in the future.  :thewife:

New beaings in the rear hub, replaced the felt grease seal, getting the rim spoked turned out to be a real pain in the butt, I have been lacing wheels this week for other projects and none gave me any trouble.

The Airone rear wheel is center aligned, no offset but of the 40 spokes ten are 4mm shorter and I had marked the location and orientation of the shorter spokes, stll upon lacing I must have placed the short spokes incorrectly as I had to strip the wheel a couple times and relace it to get it finished.

As the axle mut be installed with the hub prior to driving in the bearings I can not use a truing stand, fitting the brakes shoes was alos a bit of a pain, the brake drum pins that support the shoes were a bit bent, starightening them after paint was tedious, lots of adjustment to shoe ends and pivots before the shoes moved smoothly

The sprocket has six rubber cush discs and there are two plates, one on each side of the sprocket that compress the rubbers, Getting the rubbers to only spread to one side of the sprocket took some time to figure out, otherwise the sprocket will not clamp down true to the hub

Brake drum and sprocket bolted to hub, I set the wheel in the frame

I will use the frame to true the rim

I am not looking forward to lacing the front wheel, it has a big offset from centerof the hub.

cliffrod:
Looks really good, Jim.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version