Author Topic: REPLACING QUOTA CLUTCH  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
REPLACING QUOTA CLUTCH
« on: December 09, 2020, 12:09:15 PM »
I got a few preliminary "tips" from a respected Guzzi Tech, to pull the frame rails and then move the engine forward.

But after that I'm flying blind. Is anybody aware of resources (videos or step-by-step manuals) to assist in this project?

If this is "learn-as-you-go," so be it.  However, Guido Is on a lift in my Buddy's home shop.  So, I'd like to make reasonable, predictable progress.

Spud
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:10:33 PM by Spuddy »
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: REPLACING QUOTA CLUTCH
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »
I don't know of any step by step guide, but, it is fairly "easy" to do on a quota.

If you secure the front wheel in a paddock stand, you can do all the work with the motorcycle still looking like a motorcycle.   :grin:  Meaning, transmission & swingarm & rear wheel all stay on the bike.

Also, do you have zero oil leaks and you are just going for a clutch replacement?  And you are 100% sure the clutch needs replacing? 

Reason I ask, seems several guys go in to fix oil leaks and replace the clutch while in there.  So you may want to address all the common oil leak areas at the same time? 

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »
I could try to make a list from memory, not sure if that would help ...

- remove side panels, seat, tank, and I pulled all fairing pieces just to have plenty of room
- remove entire exhaust system
- put rolling jack under sump

- remove all stuff connected to engine
= pull off spark plug caps
= remove wiring to alternator
= remove wires to starter and remove starter
= oil lines to motor can stay
= remove all electrical connections to motor (temp sensor, crank sensor)
= remove hoses to heads

- you can leave all the intake as-is, just undo the 3 bolts on each side to the head.  Motor will move forward and away from intake

- lightly jack up jack under sump
- remove lower frame rails
= can remove center stand and foot pegs, makes it easier to move frame rails out of the way but a bit of a pain to get the center stand back on
= or, can leave center stand connected to frame rails, but then frame rails have some tension to them and are a bit of a pain to move out of the way

* And there are plenty of other things going on, like the two horns are attached to the top frame rail bolts so you gotta unplug them and set them aside.  And the signal lights are on the front side fairings and you gotta disconnect them.  So this is FAR from a complete detailed list.

OK, so frame rails off, all wire/hose connects to motor off

- loosen all the bolts that hold the engine to the transmission.  watch how things react, might need to jack up or down on the jack under the sump to relieve pressure.

I used this kind of jack and it worked great:

Then carefully roll engine forward, then lower it to clear everything and you should have this:

Then any normal clutch out/in steps should do.

For me, slow, first time, it took ~10 hrs to pull it all apart.  About 2-3 hrs to fix all the leaks and get the new clutch in, and ~10 hrs to get it all back together.

Once done and putting it back together, I had the alternator cover off so I could spin the engine ... so as I tried to mesh the teeth from the clutch to the transmission input hub, I could slowly turn the motor and that helped that to easy enough.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:36:38 AM by usedtobefast »
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »
Do you know about all the pushrod stuff?  Seems you should take care of that too. 

I bought my parts from MGCycle, they had a "kit" for the clutch, just a collection of parts really. 

So basically, not technically crazy hard, but, lots of time and lots of other stuff that could (should?) be done at the same time.

Also, are you good with sorting out everything once you have it apart? 

For me I put in new plates and intermediate plate (was only $26 so what the heck, but old one was prob ok), used the original springs and pressure plate and cup.  Used original push rod, replaced throwout bearing & washers and seals. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:01:10 PM »
I have homemade tools for aligning the clutch plates when you tighten up the pressure plate I will loan you. Send pm.
And when you tighten up the pressure plate bolts do it evenly or there's a chance the intermediate plate can warp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1tAyC8o298

Warped, not by me
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
[/url]
Warped, not by me

I had a chuckle at the warped floater.  My first Guzzi clutch job in ‘77 on my beloved ‘71 Ambassador turned out like that.  On fuel cars with multiple discs those are called floaters.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Cal3Me

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »
I hung my bike from my overhead hook for a clutch replacement ,,

TMS

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 02:46:40 PM »
Thank you, all.  Took a break, getting back to it.  We just might need those alignment tools.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »

Hum, did something break with attaching pictures?  I had 2 pics in my post, not showing up, but the references to those pics are the same as before.   I used the "Add image to post" upload approach.
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
Hum, did something break with attaching pictures?  I had 2 pics in my post, not showing up, but the references to those pics are the same as before.   I used the "Add image to post" upload approach.
i can see your two images no problem.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here