General Category > General Discussion

I can either lower the bike or find some elevator boots

(1/5) > >>

ohiorider:
OK - have any of you girls or guys found it necessary to purchase a pair of boots that provide an additional 3/4 to 1" leg length? 

I love my old 1991 R100GS ...... owned since new.  But as I've gotten older, I find I need a little more stability when I come to a stop on this old gal.

Any advice on boots you've found that are quality, that provide an extra inch or so, and keep you in the saddle of a favorite bike?

Bob

LongRanger:
Any cobbler worth his salt should be able to remove your soles, add a layer of rubber, and then reattach your soles to give you the height you need, though it may have an unfavorable effect if the boots are waterproof. It works best if your boots have Goodyear welts (stitched-on soles, not molded soles).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMuKdtzkzDk

X Goose:
I think my Sidi adventure boots gave me 3/4 maybe an inch.
Being a bit of a shorty pants I have just gotten accustomed to picking a side come stop time.

not-fishing:
I had my pretty well worn Stylemartin boots resoled by my local Russian Cobbler great old guy.  He mad the suggestion for a 1/4" thicker sole and they feel great on the Griso now.  I'd get you're sole redone.

Still the GS in one bike I've ridden once and never again because I hate dismounting / mounting at every stop.  Yes I have very short shanks

guzziart:

--- Quote from: X Goose on June 19, 2021, 10:54:53 PM ---I think my Sidi adventure boots gave me 3/4 maybe an inch.
Being a bit of a shorty pants I have just gotten accustomed to picking a side come stop time.

--- End quote ---

Same here Bob...maybe a little more heel/sole.  I'm not a fan of lowering links because of diminished handling (lean angle & change in steering geometry).  I did notice that when I went to an aftermarket saddle (stock seat was only tolerable for 30-40 minutes) I sat lower but further back and had to install bar risers to move the hbar aft about an inch.  Maybe saddle mod??

I'd be happy to trade you one of my bikes for your old gal! :grin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version