Author Topic: Hepco Becker hard bag racks Question  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Wes Stephens

• New Egg
  • 03 Cali EV, V 65 SP, 10 V7 Cafe
Hepco Becker hard bag racks Question
« on: September 11, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »
I've got a problem with the fit of my old Hepco Becker Junior hard luggage (around 2001) on some new (2014) HB racks, p/n 650.545 00 01.
The problem is the C shape in the front won't seat properly on the new rack because it is of larger diameter round stock.  The old racks(chrome) are 15mm outside diameter and the new (painted black) are 16.8 mm OD.  I called a Virginia store (Moto Machines)  that had a set of racks in stock and was told that the racks hadn't changed,  and they measured the tube diameter and reported 16 mm.  and the new Juniors in 30 and 40 ltrs fit them.  Where I measured the 16.8 mm was where the paint had been worn away from previous old bags being squeezed on.  Has anyone out there encountered this problem??   I'd appreciate any input before I spring for a new set of luggage at $528 as my old set still works fin on my 2003 EV.  Incidentally, the new racks are on my newly acquired 2014 V& Special.  Thanks in advance.
Wes

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Hepco Becker hard bag racks Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »
You may want to call the nice folks at Moto Machine(703-372-7241) to see what they have to say. They're the US importer of Hepco-Becker and may have a recommendation for you. They've always been
there for me when I needed them. Good people they are.
Paul
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:53:58 PM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »
He said he already did that.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
He said he already did that.

Ahhhhh, indeed he did.  :violent1:

My only thought is to alter the existing mounts by having a fabricator replace the vertical tube with one that fits the panniers.

Paul

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »

Offline Wes Stephens

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »
Thanks Paul and Chuck:  I did call Moto Machines and the guy I talked to (Andrew)  asked his boss for an explanation then said the racks hadn't changed over the years.  so it's  kinda a mystery.  I'll probably just get another set of new.  The Flash version (with the paintable panel on the lid) are a nice touch over my old weatherbeaten bags.
Wes

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:38 PM »
Thanks Paul and Chuck:  I did call Moto Machines and the guy I talked to (Andrew)  asked his boss for an explanation then said the racks hadn't changed over the years.  so it's  kinda a mystery.  I'll probably just get another set of new.  The Flash version (with the paintable panel on the lid) are a nice touch over my old weatherbeaten bags.
Wes

I just put a set of the 30l Flash on my V7 III for the journey home from Ct.. They're very nice.

Paul

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:41:56 PM »
Hi Wes, I have 2 sets of HB bags (30L, 40L) which I use with no issues on my `04 750 Breva & `81 CX100.  But that is because the early HB bags are the same dimensions as the earlier Krauser bags like I had on my CX100.  My actual Krauser racks are cast and not round metal like I assume your chrome HB racks are.  In my case all I had to do was change to the female HB bag latch assemblies which screwed right on in the same exact location as the different Krauser latch designs.  :cool:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:03:36 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:05:07 AM »
 While we're talking about the junior bags,  I just got a set of juniors for my 1200 sport. I was looking to attach some bungee buddies on the top but was concerned that the double wall thickness might be too thick for the threaded bungee buddies. Anybody with H&B bags put those on the top of them where it's recessed toward the top front and back?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
I had an issue w/the HB mounts/a 40L saddlebag. I hit an especially large frost heave on the Blue Ridge Parkway & the bag popped off & went sliding down the road. Fortunately the oncoming RV hit the brakes & didn't run over the bag. Looking for a solution to a possibly reoccurring problem, I found that the HB mounts for leather bags are identical except that they are made in an "L" shape w/ the bottom leg of the L supporting the bag. I tried my hard bag on the leather bag mount on a friends bike...perfect fit! The only hassle was the lack of latch on the mount to lock the hard bag to. I  tracked down a set of used leather bag mounts, & ordered a pair of latch plates from the HB importer. A little welding, touch up w/ silver paint & DONE! No "escaping bag" issues for several years now.
ronkom
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »
FWIW, I pulled the bags off the AeroLario, and the largest tubing diameter I measured was 15.5mm. They'e a couple of years or so old, so what is going on?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:30:48 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »
I had both my 2000-era 30L and 40L bags on those 2015-era racks, so don't understand where the problem lies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 01:51:57 AM »
I had an issue w/the HB mounts/a 40L saddlebag. I hit an especially large frost heave on the Blue Ridge Parkway & the bag popped off & went sliding down the road.

Really curious  -  had you locked the latches that fasten the bags to the rack?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:53:31 AM by pebra »
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 02:15:20 AM »
G'day  WES
Just measured my 2016 frame and the vertical tube where the Junior bags lock into measures a6 15.16mm.
I do find my 30 litre hard bags tight on the vertical tube. Your situation is weird. I have no explanation.

Cheers

Brian  :cheesy:
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

Offline Wes Stephens

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
Thanks to all for the feedback and my new set of the Junior Flash hard bags are supposed to be delivered tomorrow from Moto Machines.  I'll report on how they fit.
Wes

Offline Wes Stephens

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »
Hi to all,  I got the new 30 ltr set of side cases from Moto Machines and they fit the new (16.8 mm tube OD perfectly.  Very snug and no slop but no forcing required.  Thanks for all feedback.  I'm happy. :boozing: :gotpics:

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »
 :thumb:
 Wes , in all of the times I been around you it seemed "happy" is your normal state .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here