Author Topic: Advice on Salvage Repaired V7  (Read 2190 times)

Offline xaman

• New Egg
Advice on Salvage Repaired V7
« on: April 29, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
Hi all,

I’m going to look at this bike tomorrow.  Bought at auction and repaired by the current owner.  Says he bought it for himself but flipping it because it’s too small for him. 

Says he replaced the clutch.  Looks like he replaced the forks too, maybe? 

I’ve been wanting to try one of these and the price is doable, and the racer tank caught my fancy.  Not sure if I can post CL links here? 

Just wondering what to ask and look for, since it was a wreck and salvage title.   I don’t really need it, and haven’t been willing to spend full price on one, but I always end up look8ng at V7s and wondering...  So I’m glad to pass if it’s a potential nightmare of repairs, but then again, it would be fun to try at this price point.

Any thoughts?

Offline xaman

• New Egg
Re: Advice on Salvage Repaired V7
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:40:39 PM »
I’ve got a link to the auction site and before pics (crashed) if that helpful. 

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
Yes post the pics.. if it was hit in the forks take a real careful look at the frame where the steering stem passes thru.. the lower part can get ovalized and then the frame is toast.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 11:07:26 PM »
The VIN says its a 2014 V7II Stone. The first alarm bell is the clutch replacement at 25,000 - there were some IIs sold where the factory left out a crank thrust bearing (?), the first sign of which was an inability to adjust the clutch.

There's only one photo & its small, but the front caliper looks right, & the forks seem right, even minus their paint, which together with the polished rocker covers (less the spark plug cover) and the Racer II tank, and the aftermarket side panels, may have been somebody's attempt to move away from all matt black. The front mudguard is aftermarket too. Not sure about the exhaust system - I thought they were all black, but perhaps not then.

More photos would be good for us, but it's better if you see it yourself, & even better if you take along someone who has one of the same.

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 11:07:26 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 05:21:06 AM »
If the frame/steering head looks good and it feels good on a test ride GO FOR IT, cheap as hell and a great looking bike.

The VIN says its a 2014 V7II Stone. The first alarm bell is the clutch replacement at 25,000 - there were some IIs sold where the factory left out a crank thrust bearing (?), the first sign of which was an inability to adjust the clutch.

Nope, nope, just nope that is completely irrelevant (and wrong to boot - EDIT - AT LEAST HERE IN THE US).

1. This isn't a V7 II, it's a V7 mkI (2014 was the dry alternator, 5-speed, 1.0 version), the V7 II was a one-year only, 2016, 6-speed model with ABS and TC.

2. EVEN if this WAS a II, there's no way on gawd's green earth a motor with the thrust bearing problem gets much past break-in never mind anywhere near 25k miles.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:40:13 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 07:07:57 AM »
Sorry if I got it wrong & led anyone up the garden path, but the vin in the photo decodes as a 2014 V7 II Stone. And I know the IIs were already out in the shops here in early 2015 at least.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:28:37 AM »
Hi all,

I’m going to look at this bike tomorrow.  Bought at auction and repaired by the current owner.  Says he bought it for himself but flipping it because it’s too small for him. 

Says he replaced the clutch.  Looks like he replaced the forks too, maybe? 

I’ve been wanting to try one of these and the price is doable, and the racer tank caught my fancy.  Not sure if I can post CL links here? 

Just wondering what to ask and look for, since it was a wreck and salvage title.   I don’t really need it, and haven’t been willing to spend full price on one, but I always end up look8ng at V7s and wondering...  So I’m glad to pass if it’s a potential nightmare of repairs, but then again, it would be fun to try at this price point.

Any thoughts?

I would be calling the DMV and insurance companies and asking them if there are any particulars to be aware of with a salvage title.

I would be asking for photos of the "before" bike and the "wrecked" bike. 

When on the test ride lift your hands slightly off the bars and see what happens. 

Go over the bike with a microfiber cloth.  It helps bring you focus on details you may not notice and grabs on any imperfections that you might want to be alerted to. 

Pull the seat and side covers and have a look.  Pull the tank if he will let you to further check out the frame.

Put the bike on a lift and do the front end check and rear linkage check. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline xaman

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 07:52:26 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I’ll post a link to the auction site where it was purchased:

https://poctra.com/2014-MOTO-GUZZI-V7-CLASSIC/id-Ai6j7axZksaZS87B/DALLAS-TX/Photos

Really appreciate all the help!

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:23 AM »
Way too many problems seen & likely unseen. I'd wait and watch for similar, un-crashed. Perhaps for less money. If you would rather not respond to; How badly were you hurt? the cosmetics alone will add serious $$$$. R3~

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 08:32:52 AM »
 I'm somewhat familiar with salvage titles as it is in NY...Insurance companies often total bikes for like what seems petty damage...To get an ac tual transferable title the bike is inspected by NY Police plain clothesmen in dedicated facilities...They look for obvious unsafe repairs and stolen parts...The process in other states may be different...You have to use caution of course when looking at salvage vehicles...But keep in mind any bike you look at could have been involved in an accident or flood..If it was not an insurance claim, there will be no record, think about it...
 The worst part about a salvage vehicle , in my opinion, it will have a lower than nroral resale valve...

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »
did he replace the tank or is there a couple lbs of bondo under the paint?

I have bought a few salvage bikes, mostly to convert to race bikes, but I also one for a street bike. The before pics don't look bad. looks like the previous owner did more damage to the bike before he crashed it (what is with the raw steel look on the tank?). 

1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 09:39:37 AM »
Sorry if I got it wrong & led anyone up the garden path, but the vin in the photo decodes as a 2014 V7 II Stone. And I know the IIs were already out in the shops here in early 2015 at least.

OOOhhhh, Malik, I see part of the disconnect.

I keep forgetting US/NA model years are not always the same as EU/world for Guzzi.

2013-2015 models in the US are all Mk I - the 13-14 are dry alternator models to boot. The 2015 is a weird wet alternator Mk I, still a 5-speed.

2016 US models are the one year only V7 II

2017+ US models are the V7 III

But the EU/world models were often one year off (newer) than that.

As for the VIN, is there a unique identifier that says it's a V7 II or V7III in the VIN code?

There's a model YEAR code, there's a MODEL code, a engine code, but I didn't think there was a specific digit that actually means it's a V7 I or a V7II - only a model year.

Regardless since I've seen 2015 V7 I models in the US, I know a 2014 cannot be a V7 II here.

That make sense?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 11:17:23 AM »

With nice used V7s out there for $4k to $5k, I probably wouldn't risk the hassles with a $2900 rebuilt salvage...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »

As for the VIN, is there a unique identifier that says it's a V7 II or V7III in the VIN code?

There's a model YEAR code, there's a MODEL code, a engine code, but I didn't think there was a specific digit that actually means it's a V7 I or a V7II - only a model year.

So it got me curious & I did a bit of searching:-

The ZGU reads as Italian (Z) & Moto Guzzi (GU) - no problem.

The fourth to ninth digits are the VDS (vehicle description section) and are assigned by the manufacturer. In this case - LWUAO5
Of this, the ninth digit is mandatorily a check digit in the U.S. & China, optionally elsewhere, but often followed.
The first 2 digits of the VDS are the base model - LW for the V7, LS for the GRiSO, for example.
The UA0 part is the version  - my Classic is UO0, my Special is TO0.

In some countries, there seems to be a specific digit for engine size, and perhaps weight, but that doesn't appear to apply here. In a discussion of the GRiSO VINs on Guzzitech, it was opined the 6th digit may be for the compliance country the vehicle was destined for - U for the U.S. Out there on the net, there may be a logical list of Guzzi's designators, I just haven't found it yet.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »
With nice used V7s out there for $4k to $5k, I probably wouldn't risk the hassles with a $2900 rebuilt salvage...

I agree in fact there are several very nice and well-sorted v7s being sold by people in Wild Guzzi and on ADV with lots of accessories for not much more money.

I love a good deal, but I'd pass on this.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
With nice used V7s out there for $4k to $5k $2,500 to $3,500, I probably wouldn't risk the hassles with a $2900 rebuilt salvage...

I wouldn't buy a 5 year old V7 with 25K on the odo for $2,900 with a good title unless it had a $1,000 in cash as an incentive. One with a salvage title IMHO is worthless unless you are a breaker. 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 04:38:01 PM »
Re:  V7i vs V7ii.  Didn't they tilt (or untilt) the engine as part of the V7ii changes?  That's what I normally look at first.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »

The idea is good, but I agree; you need more coin to take on this risk.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
Re:  V7i vs V7ii.  Didn't they tilt (or untilt) the engine as part of the V7ii changes?  That's what I normally look at first.

Yes I believe the was also related to the transmission change (5-spd to 6-spd) which would be the definitive answer.

Not to mention the II was the first to add TC/ABS.

So there's no mistaking a I for a II very quickly when standing next to it or riding it.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 07:59:12 AM »
Check the regs in your state for salvage titles and rebuilt vehicles. A salvage title is what’s usually issued so the vehicle can be sold after the insurance co  totals the vehicle. Rebuilt title is issued after repair
In most states the vehicle has to be repaired and possibly inspected and then a rebuilt title is issued.
Some states require a licensed rebuilder to repair and or apply for the rebuilt title.
This is additional drama to the discrepancies pointed out by other posters.
Be aware that a lot of people buy the wrecks and aren’t’ too particular about how they repair them. Cut corners and are more worried about their profit than a correct repair.
Hope this hleps
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:43:51 PM by Noguzznoglory »
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »
Purchased my 2016 model V7 Stone II in the summer of 2015.  The engine mounting angle of the pictured bike tells me that it is not a II.  Beware!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 06:42:10 PM »
Purchased my 2016 model V7 Stone II in the summer of 2015.  The engine mounting angle of the pictured bike tells me that it is not a II.  Beware!
We know it's not a II.

It's not being advertised as a II.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 05:08:13 PM »
Richard in PHX is selling his VII w/orange stripes.  Low miles for $3800.  Has extras with it. Mistrals on it with FI reworked.  Sounds great and runs/rides well.  Let me know if you're interested.  I've ridden it up South Mountain.  It handles well for mountain roads.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 12:18:26 AM »
Bikes get totaled with light damage, but it may not be all the damage. If an adjuster gets half way through an inspection and realizes its a total, they stop the inspection. The listed damage may not come close to the actual damage. Secondly, you are placing a lot of faith in someone who you know nothing about doing quality repairs with quality parts, and actually knowing what they are doing. Bet they don't have a frame jig for a V7. Keep in  mind that every dollar they spend comes out of their profit, so no dollar is spent unless it is absolutely necessary and cost are cut everywhere. I have been in the auto business for decades, and I would NEVER buy a repaired salvage vehicle. The risk of failure of vital systems is not worth it. Painted JB Weld looks like real metal until it fails under stress. Even if you buy the wreck and do all the work yourself it is hard to come out money ahead, especially when you factor in the fact that rebuilt title bikes are worth at best 60% of what a clean title bike would be. I have seen many people spend thousands more to make their rebuilt vehicle work right than they would have spent buying a clean rig. It just so rarely works out. Walk away.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 05:39:41 AM »
I have to join the choir of those recommending a nice bike with a regular title.   I know if I was to sell my mint 2015 V7 I would probably be lucky to get 4k.   With a bit of patience a better value will pop up. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here