Author Topic: Just a thought bubble....  (Read 793 times)

Pizza Guzzi

Just a thought bubble....
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:09:23 AM »
I've often thought the terms "small block" and " big block" to be a bit of a misnomer.  I mean looking at my V7 and remembering my Carc bike I see sump, crankcase, barrels and heads but no block as such.
Given the difference in construction between the big block and small block the pedant in me thinks small block = split case and big block = tunnel case, much like the early air cooled VW's had a split case transmission and after 1960 they had a tunnel case.
I grant you it's all quite pointless really but just one of the thoughts lurking in the darker recesses of my mind.

Glenn

twowings

Re: Just a thought bubble....
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
As long as there are no fart bubbles... :shocked:

I'm guessing those terms are kinda old school now...like '100,000 miles and she's done for' and 'blow the carbon out' and 'use a points file and shine 'em up'...

I mean when you have 4-bangers making 300+ HP and electric cars doing the 1/4-mile in blistering speed, is a 'big block' feared the same as it used to be?

Sure, the Vipers, Mustangs, and Hellcats rule the male fantasy BUT what are they really when you could drive a Miata, MINI, or Alfa and Rule the twisty roads?

Just my 2 centavos...

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
 I want some of what Pizza Guzzi is smoking  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
Well, "small block" and "big block" sounds better than "small lump" and "big lump".

I wonder what the distinction is in italian - maybe it came from there, somehow.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »
Small bore vs big bore?!?

I dunno, it doesn't matter, it's just a quick way of referring to different lines of bikes that share some basic engine and largely frame architecture.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here