Author Topic: Question about short commutes  (Read 711 times)

GeorgiaGuzzi

Question about short commutes
« on: May 14, 2021, 07:14:16 AM »
So I’m about to start my new job that is only 8-10 miles away from my house. This will be the shortest commute I’ve ever had. Currently my commute is 44 miles one way.

Will the short distance be harmful to my Quota? I worry it won’t be able to sufficiently get to operating temperature in order to cook off any moisture in the oil. Are my concerns valid or just being a worrywart?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Question about short commutes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 07:19:54 AM »
It does get warm here, it will be up to temp. I used to go 10mi for PDI check. Shouldn't get any sledge till it's under 40*.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:33:06 AM »
 ^^^ what Steve said .

Dusty

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 08:03:24 AM »
For about eight months I commuted just over a mile each way pretty much through the winter on a GS400. Never seemed to hurt it. You can always take the long way.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 08:03:24 AM »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 08:15:16 AM »
I commuted year round here in Georgia.
For about 16 years, it was about 16 miles on I-85. Meaning, ludicrous speed in the morning to work, and sitting in traffic idling away for LONG periods of time in the afternoon. I had to replace rear main seals a number of times. I think the heat, from idling in hot traffic, hardened them. And just the opposite, in the winter, I would get a lot of water inside the valve covers. The high speed ride to work in the winter never let the valve cover warm up.
Then with a job change, for 10 years, I commuted about 9 miles, on low speed rural streets. Pretty much zero issue there. No hot long idling in traffic. And the lower speeds appeared to let the valve covers warm up a bit more in the winter, so less water.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 10:36:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I’m looking forward to my fuel costs being $16 a week!

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 10:43:07 AM »
Pre--, my commute has been 7-14 miles one-way for about the past 25 years.

No issues with any vehicle as a result of that. They all warm up enough - even the
aircooled bikes. I'm in Maine, so some of the motorcycling was in temps that never
exceeded freezing in either the morning or evening.

My commute now is about 20 feet from the bedroom to the kitchen. The only temps
I'm concerned with now are those of the kitchen and the coffeepot!   :grin:

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 01:25:46 PM »
I used to commute 3 miles each way for years and either rode the Guzzi, biked or walked. The V7 didn't seem to mind the short hop so long as I took the long way (10 mi) a couple times a week. The Griso always developed mayonnaise in the winter (below 40) until I blocked off the oil cooler and ALWAYS took the long way.

I doubt your 8-10 mile ride will be a problem so long as you get longer rides in on occasion. Keep an eye on the moisture/mayo problem if the temps are dropping below 40.

Another thing to keep an eye on is your battery charge. Not sure about the Quota but my BMW F800 and Breva 1100 wouldn't keep the battery sufficiently charged on such short rides and required regular overnights on the Battery Tender to keep it happy.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 02:29:31 PM »
Shwwoo! that's good news! I was afraid I was killing my LeMansIII Grocery Getter and B double E double R-U-N machine! :boozing:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:31:12 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »
I know, not an answer to your question, but man I HATE commuting miles on my motorcycle, just "crap" miles as far as I'm concerned.
I suppose if it involved roads that fell under the description of "God's own tarmac", well maybe. But mostly we are talking about the same monotonous path day in and day out. Dark in the morn dodging half awake drivers running late, and the ride home consisting of texting zombies.
What a waste of good rubber.  :coffee:
Certainly YMMV, be careful out there my friend.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »
I know, not an answer to your question, but man I HATE commuting miles on my motorcycle, just "crap" miles as far as I'm concerned.
I suppose if it involved roads that fell under the description of "God's own tarmac", well maybe. But mostly we are talking about the same monotonous path day in and day out. Dark in the morn dodging half awake drivers running late, and the ride home consisting of texting zombies.
What a waste of good rubber.  :coffee:
Certainly YMMV, be careful out there my friend.

Same here. Rush hour fore and aft and parking out on the lot at work, no thanks. I have a company car any hoo
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 10:33:09 PM »
We have a community college just outside of town. The most dangerous time is just before 9:00 when all the young girls are late for class and driving worse than normal.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 10:50:18 PM »
My commute is four miles.  I love it - the best ten minutes of my day each way.  The only downside is that it takes almost as much time gearing up.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 11:17:54 PM »
Commuting....ugggg. Enjoy your short commute. God bless you. Open it up for a nice long spirited ride once or twice a week, and the rest will be fine. I commute on my bike as it’s the lesser of two evils compared to sitting still and going for the accordion shuffle in my truck. We can share/split lanes in California, and there are carpool lanes in the sections of God awful freeways I have to ride, which saves time on the bikes, but there is no pleasure to be had from the ride other than the feel of the bike. Lately it’s been a challenge to stay ahead of the hoard of charging lemmings.
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here