Author Topic: Another thumbs up for Sachse Digital ignition  (Read 1197 times)

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
Another thumbs up for Sachse Digital ignition
« on: May 26, 2022, 01:24:10 PM »
After months since the purchase of a Sachse ZDG3.23 from Stein Dinse, finally managed to get it installed on my Cali1100 carb.
As dependable as the  Marelli Digiplex  has proved  to be, I have never been happy with the ignition curve and always felt it was sluggish under load, even though the plugs burned a nice tan brown and the strobe gun showed it advancing when checked. Comparisons with my Dyna equipped   Tontis always reminded me.
Following Chuck's advice ( if you think it's fuel, it's ignition and vice versa). I did  spend a fair amount of time ( and money) getting the bike to fuel as good as I could, ( Gunson used, jetting needles ,slides etc).during my 10 years  ownership.
Every possible way to make sure the DIgiplex was working as it should was explored, short of buying it an expensive  ticket to Europe where it would be " diagnosed/ repaired" at approximately the same cost of the Sachse.
Well ,  the  Sachse ignition did change throttle response for the better , even with the as delivered ignition curve ( #2)
Looking forward to share with other folks who have it on their bikes, advance curves you are using and or general interest
Happy Memorial day to all
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:08:25 PM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Another thumbs up for Sachse Digital ignition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 12:22:25 AM »
More than 600 Euros, that's some pricy ignition.

Still after TWO failed Dyna systems in my V65, one never worked and now one has quit after 500 miles I'm looking at a new Small Block ignition from Stein Densi the Sachse ZDG3.23 as a replacement.  It will be a while as the replacement is costing me half of what I paid for the motorcycle though it was in boxes.                               :angry:
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 04:16:07 AM »
More than 600 Euros, that's some pricy ignition.

600 Euros?????

try 349,50 €..... then they will knock the VAT off so its actually only 293,70 €
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1937

not saying that its pocket change, but its a lot cheaper than 600 €

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 05:37:05 AM »
I have a 95 "spot" 1100, known for having a flat spot. Jetting change helped some, but biggest help was changing the digiplex for one from a Strada, especially after crossover/muffler change.
Not sure if this will help other models

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 05:37:05 AM »

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 11:00:28 AM »
Got mine on sale at Stein Dinse last December and it ran about 300 USD. As I was already ordering other bits, , the shipping cost minimum (35 USD) was evenly split. The only issue I had was the clearance with the alternator cover at the front and additional 12mm spacers were added to prevent the cover from rubbing. This was omitted in the instructions, but Sachse does offer a deeper cover.....
As per the Digiplex, the only way to change ignition curves is to modify the circuit board, which would run about the cost of what I paid for the Sachse.

1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 11:51:50 AM »
Got mine on sale at Stein Dinse last December and it ran about 300 USD. As I was already ordering other bits, , the shipping cost minimum (35 USD) was evenly split. The only issue I had was the clearance with the alternator cover at the front and additional 12mm spacers were added to prevent the cover from rubbing. This was omitted in the instructions, but Sachse does offer a deeper cover.....
As per the Digiplex, the only way to change ignition curves is to modify the circuit board, which would run about the cost of what I paid for the Sachse.
Dave Richardson, Guzziology wizard, quote:
Not every Digiplex black box has the same mapping of ignition advance against engine speed and load....
the discarded Strada Digiplex was tried in a sport 1100. The dreaded midrange flat spot disappeared and fuel economy improved 7%!

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 12:53:44 PM »
Your point is  well taken, However,  I had a conversation with DR a few years back on the subject. As luck would have the swap worked well in the scenario described, but swapping in another Digiplex generally would not be a guaranteed outcome at least from what I gathered.. As inexpensive used Digiplex units ( Guzzi Content) were not available to me, a new  Digi purchase  was a  (expensive) shot in the dark  which could or could not have worked in my case ( where the ignition  system worked, just not well  enough for me )
In the end, the methods that offered  a different result were:
1) dismantle the crank case and machine the  hole hole to accomodate a distributor. ( done successfully by other folks)
2) Install a crank fired ignition with  selectable advance curves ( easier choice)
The results are speaking for themselves at this time, and this is just with the as delivered ignition map. Used Digiplex? there is one available now for those who want to try swapping..

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 01:00:46 PM »
Your point is  well taken, However,  I had a conversation with DR a few years back on the subject. As luck would have the swap worked well in the scenario described, but swapping in another Digiplex generally would not be a guaranteed outcome at least from what I gathered.. As inexpensive used Digiplex units ( Guzzi Content) were not available to me, a new  Digi purchase  was a  (expensive) shot in the dark  which could or could not have worked in my case ( where the ignition  system worked, just not well  enough for me )
In the end, the methods that offered  a different result were:
1) dismantle the crank case and machine the  hole hole to accomodate a distributor. ( done successfully by other folks)
2) Install a crank fired ignition with  selectable advance curves ( easier choice)
The results are speaking for themselves at this time, and this is just with the as delivered ignition map. Used Digiplex? there is one available now for those who want to try swapping..
dismantle the crank case and machine the  hole hole to accommodate a distributor.is a lot of work, but honestly I would prefer a a point ignition.
I was thinking about doing that, but after reading about the Strada digiplex (and having found one cheap) I gave it a try.
Guzziology has a lot of good suggestions

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »
We talking ZDG 3?

I've got one in an LM1000 and running it on curve#4 and it works really well, must have had it 7 years or so.  :thumb:

It initially came set at #2, that did not go well at all.

Great system bit of a PIA to install, but not too bad

The wasted spark setup is quite safe as it fires 360 degrees out from when the cylinder requires a spark.

Any system which fires both plugs regardless of which cylinder requires it can cook your goose

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 02:45:31 PM »
I have one of their units on my 1975 Ducati 860 GT and another on a 1978 Moto Morini 500, it made a noticeable improvement on the Ducati, one kick to start, the Morini had a fried Stator so I can’t offer a comparison on that bike.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 06:32:16 AM »
I installed the Sachse in my v50ii.  I think I used curve 1.  It was a little expensive and had to come from Germany, but it worked great and was so much neater and cooler than the stock Bosch.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Klinkhammer

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 03:51:11 AM »
I have installed Sachse on five bikes, all big block Tonti. Two of them with integrated regulator and rectifier.
In my mind very neat and easy to install. Never had any issues whatsoever, just install and ride. Couldn't be happier.
850T Endurance racer lookalike 1974
992 Le Mans III Agostini 1983
V1000 ConverT 1976
850 Le Mans II 1979
BMW R1250GS HP 2019
V7 sport 1972 (Sold)
850T3 California 1977 (Sold)
850T 1974 (Sold)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here