Author Topic: New Harley Bronx  (Read 8626 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New Harley Bronx
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
Nice!  I hope they do well with it. This really could appeal to younger blood.  My kinda bike
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »
"Imagine if a Moto Guzzi discussion could stir up as much interest on a Harley blog....Nah!"

On the Harley site I still visit one of the guys has a VRod. They don't even talk about those either.

At the end of my Harley days I was getting pretty tired of the Harley culture. Loud pipes, bandanas, trashing other brands and some of their own models including Sportsters, etc. When I had my Sporty I absolutely no respect.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2020, 07:22:19 PM »
Sportsters are a total blast to ride.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »
At the end of my Harley days I was getting pretty tired of the Harley culture. Loud pipes, bandanas, trashing other brands and some of their own models including Sportsters, etc. When I had my Sporty I absolutely no respect.
kk
I like Harley's but want nothing to do with some of the knuckleheads that ride them.  I'm always astonished at how quickly some people can F*#K up a perfectly good motorcycle.  30 years ago I went to an ABATE meeting.  One was enough. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
I wished I had kept my Sporty considering the amount I got for it. It was an 883, a really fun bike to ride on local rides. My main complaint was the terrible rear suspension. A decent upgrade would have cost about a quarter of what I paid for the whole bike,  Not very cost effective. But for bopping around town would have been just fine.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2020, 08:42:15 PM »
I think Harley will have a hard time pricing these bikes  with what is already out there. Most other manufacturers have had existing products to build off of. Harley is starting with a clean sheet.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »
looks a lot like the Yamaha MT-01. Too bad we never got that one here.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:09:37 PM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2020, 10:24:07 PM »
Oh come on.  It’s fun to hate on HD!  It’s like hating on your football rival.   Regarding HD riders potentially ripping Moto Guzzi riders, why would they?  They are king of the hill, Guzzi isn’t more than a pimple on their old ladies ass!

So yes they suck!  If you like them, great I don’t care. HD sales are shrinking, but with decent leadership they will survive and likely thrive, be it much smaller than today. 

Guzzi on the other hand appears to be growing!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 06:20:36 AM »
How do you like your Royal Enfield Himalayan if I could ask?

I am loving it!  As long as you don't have to get on an interstate it is a fun, comfortable, easy to maintain ride.  Been doing a lot of exploring lesser traveled roads and paths on it with 3000 miles in the 10 months I have owned it. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2020, 06:27:10 AM »
I like Harley's but want nothing to do with some of the knuckleheads that ride them.  I'm always astonished at how quickly some people can F*#K up a perfectly good motorcycle.  30 years ago I went to an ABATE meeting.  One was enough.

Unfortunately Mike, that goes for every brand of motorcycle.  Harley doesn't have a monopoly on knuckleheads.  I buy bikes I am interested in riding, not because of the other people who ride them.  I have found with most motorcycles that the more I like the look, the less I like the ride.  Supersport bikes are very uncomfortable for me.  Raked out cruisers slammed to the ground handle like crap. 

I ride a Road Glide Special which is growing in popularity, but has always been considered the ugly Harley.  I love the ride of adventure bikes but they are almost universally ugly. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2020, 06:34:08 AM »
I think the new Bronx is a great move in the right direction! It may have a slow sales start in the beginning but I believe when non-Harley riders see the new, first of it's kind "Naked Sport" Harley, (without a barcalounger riding position), I think it will do well. The old Haley types are getting older and fewer. No they will not be attracted to a this sport bike but that's not whose coming up through the ranks... it's the younger riders who have been turned off by the Harley bikes & image. This is a fresh start! I hope it is a raving success. I live 2 mile from our HD dealer and I will take it for a test ride to see what its like. It will take a lot to take me off my 1200 Sport!

The dealership experience is what will seal the deal.  So many multi-brand conglomerate dealerships today using 1950s sales models to sell bikes.  If you need service from them it is a real hassle.  My local Harley dealer will pick up your bike from your home and bring it in for service whether it is paid service or warranty or recall.  They sponsor parties with bands and food.  They have MSF beginner courses on site.  Many Harley dealerships I stop in at hire motorcycle enthusiasts who actually ride.  Most of the sales people who greet me when I walk into a multi-brand dealership have never even ridden a bike, and know nothing about what they are selling.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2020, 07:12:28 AM »
Just an observation....

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 07:44:27 AM »
I ride a Road Glide Special which is growing in popularity, but has always been considered the ugly Harley.  I love the ride of adventure bikes but they are almost universally ugly.

I can go ya one better.  Used to ride a 1989 FXRT.  Still the most comfortable touring bike they ever made.  But nobody liked the look.   Most people thought it was a BMW!  I'd still be riding it if some lady hadn't pulled out in front of me on my way back from Sturgis in 99.  (Ouch!).  Instead of a sticker that said, "Sturgis 99, I rode mine" I had one made that said, "Sturgis 99, I wrecked mine!"

Offline Big_Jim59

• New Egg
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:59 AM »
If you look at the picture, in the article, of the rider set up for the corner you can see that the riding position looks cramped. The Harley Street had the same issue. It is as if the H-D engineers can't quite design a bike that is not in the "feet forward" mode. I used to work for a Harley dealer and I grew weary of trying to defend antiquated designs in a modern market. Don't get me wrong, Harley engineers have done superb work in taking a design, with its roots in the 1940s, and making it oil tight and not explode at prolonged modern highway speeds.

2001 Moto Guzzi Quota (Black)
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Triumph T100

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2020, 06:44:46 PM »
 Overall the bike looks nice... ...Have to see it person ,up close the engine as shown in the photos looks like a plastic toy engine...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:45:17 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »
I have a couple of riding buddies that have been riding Harleys for years, they love them. I've never owned a Harley until last year, don't really like the looks or performance of most of them, but I like the one I ride. I do like the looks of the Bronx, I hate the name, and I'm not crazy about the odd shaped headlight shroud. I think it would have looked much better with either the single unshrouded headlight or even dual headlights similar to the Harley Fat Bob or Triumph's Commander. As far as the dealership experience, out of the four brands that I own, the dealership experience is the best at the local Harley dealership. It doesn't matter whether your in there buying parts or looking at bikes, the local Harley dealership takes care of you quickly, and with knowledgeable friendly service. They have a customer lounge area that's always open to customers and stocked up with hot coffee, bottled water, cold drinks, soda's and snacks free to any customer that comes in (buying or not) and they let you know its there. You can feel that they're making an effort at trying to retain customers.

At least once a month they organize rides, throw a party with bands, host a free BBQ, and its open to anyone who rides, regardless of brand. Sometimes I've ridden the Griso up there, and sometimes I've ridden the Triumph. Although I currently no longer own a Triumph, my local Triumph dealer comes close to this dealership experience, its the Triumph boutique type of store. I haven't experienced anything near this level at any of the local Japanese powersports dealerships (Honda, Kawasaki). Unfortunately not at our local Eurosports bike dealer either, who no longer carries MG. Over the last few years the demographics of the Harley owner has been changing with the times. There are still a lot of the typical leather vest, bandana wearing, chaps sporting Harley riders out there, but there are also a lot more typical safety gear wearing clean cut riders out there on Harleys too. I'm not concerned about having a certain look or image, and I'm not really brand loyal either. I ride what I ride because I like the ride, regardless of brand. When I'm out on the road on multi state trips, I find most riders above & beyond friendly, except for maybe BMW owners.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:34:39 PM by zebraranger »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2020, 08:10:12 PM »
I have a couple of riding buddies that have been riding Harleys for years, they love them. I've never owned a Harley until last year, don't really like the looks or performance of most of them, but I like the one I ride. I do like the looks of the Bronx, I hate the name, and I'm not crazy about the odd shaped headlight shroud. I think it would have looked much better with either the single unshrouded headlight or even dual headlights similar to the Harley Fat Bob or Triumph's Commander. As far as the dealership experience, out of the four brands that I own, the dealership experience is the best at the local Harley dealership. It doesn't matter whether your in there buying parts or looking at bikes, the local Harley dealership takes care of you quickly, and with knowledgeable friendly service. They have a customer lounge area that's always open to customers and stocked up with hot coffee, bottled water, cold drinks, soda's and snacks free to any customer that comes in (buying or not) and they let you know its there. You can feel that they're making an effort at trying to retain customers.

At least once a month they organize rides, throw a party with bands, host a free BBQ, and its open to anyone who rides, regardless of brand. Sometimes I've ridden the Griso up there, and sometimes I've ridden the Triumph. Although I currently no longer own a Triumph, my local Triumph dealer comes close to this dealership experience, its the Triumph boutique type of store. I haven't experienced anything near this level at any of the local Japanese powersports dealerships (Honda, Kawasaki). Unfortunately not at our local Eurosports bike dealer either, who no longer carries MG. Over the last few years the demographics of the Harley owner has been changing with the times. There are still a lot of the typical leather vest, bandana wearing, chaps sporting Harley riders out there, but there are also a lot more typical safety gear wearing clean cut riders out there on Harleys too. I'm not concerned about having a certain look or image, and I'm not really brand loyal either. I ride what I ride because I like the ride, regardless of brand. When I'm out on the road on multi state trips, I find most riders above & beyond friendly, except for maybe BMW owners.

:thumb:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
I can go ya one better.  Used to ride a 1989 FXRT.  Still the most comfortable touring bike they ever made.  But nobody liked the look.   Most people thought it was a BMW!  I'd still be riding it if some lady hadn't pulled out in front of me on my way back from Sturgis in 99.  (Ouch!).  Instead of a sticker that said, "Sturgis 99, I rode mine" I had one made that said, "Sturgis 99, I wrecked mine!"

I was hoping the sport glide was going to get a fairing like that.  The aftermarket answered the call and you can get FXRT style frame mounted fairings to put on your modern softail.  My BIL collects original paint FXRs and has an FXRT in his collection.  I've always been and always will be a frame mounted fairing rider.  Otherwise a bikini shield is all I can tolerate on a bike. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2020, 07:17:58 AM »
I had the first year SuperGlide with the rubber mounts and EVO motor.  1983 if memory serves.  Rode that motorcycle all over New England many times.  It was great as I recall.  Sorry I sold it after a few years.  I also had one of the very first SoftTails ever made.  4 speed chain drive with fish tails! Loved it.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

oldbike54

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2020, 07:45:45 AM »
The dealership experience is what will seal the deal.  So many multi-brand conglomerate dealerships today using 1950s sales models to sell bikes.  If you need service from them it is a real hassle.  My local Harley dealer will pick up your bike from your home and bring it in for service whether it is paid service or warranty or recall.  They sponsor parties with bands and food.  They have MSF beginner courses on site.  Many Harley dealerships I stop in at hire motorcycle enthusiasts who actually ride.  Most of the sales people who greet me when I walk into a multi-brand dealership have never even ridden a bike, and know nothing about what they are selling.

Look man , I know you want to believe the guys working in HD shops are all riders and genuine motorcycle enthusiasts , but trust me , they aren't any different than car salesman . They know what the brochures tell them , maybe one out of ten know anything more than that . Throwing a rah rah party means nothing , if you knew how much money most HD dealers made on chrome geegaws and T shirts , and on finance charges it might seem odd that they don't buy every customer a ticket for a 10 day cruise . Like my nephew who worked as a salesman for ten years in one of those mega HD boutiques said , "wholey shyte , we are screwing our customers" .

Dusty

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
Look man , I know you want to believe the guys working in HD shops are all riders and genuine motorcycle enthusiasts , but trust me , they aren't any different than car salesman . T
 Dusty
Which is one of the main reason Buell failed.  If you were a salesman, would you push the bikes that earned you a $100 commission check, or the bikes than earned you a $900 commission check?
Unless Harley can figure out a way to do a mass brain transplant of its dealer sales staff, I expect history to repeat.

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »

The idea is when you walk into a dealership you have done your homework and know as much about the machines your interested in than anybody there, salesmen are for the paperwork.

"can't see the forest for the trees"

:-)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:43:36 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
 I ride what I ride because I like the ride, regardless of brand. When I'm out on the road on multi state trips, I find most riders above & beyond friendly, except for maybe BMW owners.
[/quote]

Been riding BMWs for 'bout 48 years, been rare to encounter a fellow rider  of any brand that wasn't friendly.

?you have bad eyesight? (or maybe your not friendly yourself)

:-) :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:07:50 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

oldbike54

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »
Which is one of the main reason Buell failed.  If you were a salesman, would you push the bikes that earned you a $100 commission check, or the bikes than earned you a $900 commission check?
Unless Harley can figure out a way to do a mass brain transplant of its dealer sales staff, I expect history to repeat.

No idea how other dealers paid , or if there was a mandated pay scale from the MoCo , but my nephew was paid $250.00 for every new unit he
moved , and $150.00 for each used unit . Or he was until a certain sales manager from a Mercedes dealer came in and changed everything . for years my nephew moved 300+ units a year himself and made a lot of ghitis , those numbers declined dramatically starting in 2017 .

Dusty

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »
If I were a salesman at a Harley Davidson dealership, I would expect to make considerably more if I sold a $35,000 CVO than if I sold a Sportster.  If not, I'd find other employment rather quickly.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2020, 07:17:58 PM »
The idea is when you walk into a dealership you have done your homework and know as much about the machines your interested in than anybody there, salesmen are for the paperwork.

"can't see the forest for the trees"

:-)

Not shit sherlock.  That is why I made the statement I made.  When I walk into the Harley Dealerships I have visited everyone there to sell or service bikes I have talked to knows about the product.  When i walk into the multi-brand dealerships I know more than everyone in there.  The are truly there to just do the paperwork.  That is my experience. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2020, 07:53:32 PM »
If I were a salesman at a Harley Davidson dealership, I would expect to make considerably more if I sold a $35,000 CVO than if I sold a Sportster.  If not, I'd find other employment rather quickly.

Reality is it doesn't take anymore time or effort to sell a $35,000. CVO special than it does to sell a Sportster 883 . In fact , the CVO is easier at time because the people who buy those occasionally pay cash , or have their own financing .

My nephew could sell the fool out of any motorcycle brand , he sold for a large multiline dealer for 2 years before moving to the HD place . He sold a tonne of used bikes , his boss pushed him to stop selling used and sell more new bikes . Which tells you where the real profit is , because the actual simple dollar margins were greater on the used bikes , sometimes as much as $2,000.00 more net , but the finance charges over 5 or 7 years weren't as much .

Dusty

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »
Not shit sherlock.  That is why I made the statement I made.  When I walk into the Harley Dealerships I have visited everyone there to sell or service bikes I have talked to knows about the product.  When i walk into the multi-brand dealerships I know more than everyone in there.  The are truly there to just do the paperwork.  That is my experience.

Your rhetorical splendour leaves me speechless!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:17:14 PM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »
If the reviews are good, I will be getting a Harley Pan American when they come to market.
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2020, 06:19:53 AM »

Your rhetorical splendour leaves me speechless!

Now that is something I would have to see to believe.   :cool:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here