Author Topic: NGC CB radio question  (Read 997 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
NGC CB radio question
« on: June 19, 2021, 09:11:41 PM »
Do RVers use CB radios?
I found this in my Dads stuff, he was both CB and HAM radio guy, can you tell me what kind of base this is, CB? I found a whip or actual antenna part separately but it will fit, it's 48" long, isn't that longer than a CB wave? If the base will work can I cut the antenna to correct length? What is optimum length for CB?
I inherited the radio too.
I don't think the magnet will work on my RV roof, it's not metallic (I don't think) just use the hood of the E450?
Thanks for any reply's

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Zenermaniac

• Gosling
Re: NGC CB radio question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
A standard CB antenna is 102”. You have a loaded antenna and could be CB or 5/8 wave 2M antenna. Use at minimum an SWR meter to check it with your CB. If not setup right you risk damage to the CB.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 09:57:01 PM by Zenermaniac »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »
I don't know what frequencies the US CB is based on I understood it was around 27MHz. The formula for an antenna with a ground plain is (1/C,meters per secound) x Frequency in Hz this will give you wavelength for half wave x.5 quarter x.25 and or 5/8ths.

Now here is the messy bit ground plain is approximately the half wave length there is a possibility you have a ground plain antenna base (often GPI on marketing guff) this has circuitry that allows you not to need a ground plain but also affects the cut length and the manufacturer of the antenna should provide a cut length for the various frequencies.  The feed coxial/cable should also be a function of the half wave length, the good news is a lot of antenna suppliers when they sell an antenna for a particular band all this will have been worked out and done for you.

If it doesn't work before you toss it you might get lucky and find its the same type of CB used in a TV show like the A-team or the Dukes of Hazard or the original road warrior where people building replica vehicles seek out a particular make and model to complete the build.

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 11:37:35 PM »
  Hey Foto,
    Yes , RVers and Truckers still use CB radios. That antenna is known as a mag mount base load antenna and works great when tuned properly. I would get a piece of steel angle to mount to the side of your roof rail and stick the antenna above the cab area for best coverage. Your hood is probably fiberglass so not magnetic.
    Google Radio shops near a truck stop in your area and they will be able to set the SWR's to match the antenna with your radio. That Midland radio is one of the better ones for it's time . 10-4 good buddy :evil:

Something similar to this with the short leg bolted to your drip rail and the large side extends over the roof.

Paul B :boozing:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 10:11:46 AM by RinkRat II »
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 11:37:35 PM »

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 04:45:03 AM »
It needs a metal base to sit it on to make it work properly on transmit and without it will probably have worse reception as well.  (it forms the second half or ground plane of the antenna. Antenna of this ground plane vertical type will not be electrically balanced on CB frequencies unless on a relatively large metal base ie car hood or top.) The old radio may not work very well anymore. The electrical connection(s) in the base of the antenna is probably rusty and not making good contact, either. It is also easy for the cable and connector to be in bad shape.
 If you were serious, should probably replace the cable, connector and renew all connections in the base of the antenna, then get a new radio. Or just run it, you might get lucky if everything was stored properly.

John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 09:44:27 AM »
You need to start every CB conversation with breaker one nine any good buddies got your ears on. Truckers like when you call them "good buddy".

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 09:54:11 AM »
In my experience in over 25 years of traveling jobs and CB ownership (not using currently) AND living within seeing distance of a major East-West interstate highway drivers don't use CB like they used to. If you hear someone on channel one-nine they typically are Spanish speaking truck drivers or an occasional lot lizard near a truck stop or pickle park.

Radio shops are fewer and further between also.

My advice, hook it up, have your SWR's dialed in, but don't spent too much $$ on it.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Jimy

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 09:58:51 AM »
Looks similar to my dad's old CB radio.  He was also a ham and converted his CB to use "ham" frequencies.  I suppose there is a small chance your dad did the same.

Jim

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »
I don't know about now but the Midland was a pretty good radio in the day. Later radios were a lot more compact.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 10:20:16 AM »
I don't know about now but the Midland was a pretty good radio in the day. Later radios were a lot more compact.
kk

I have a Midland 40 channel, it had about a 4 mile range back in the day.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 02:43:18 PM »
In my experience in over 25 years of traveling jobs and CB ownership (not using currently) AND living within seeing distance of a major East-West interstate highway drivers don't use CB like they used to. If you hear someone on channel one-nine they typically are Spanish speaking truck drivers or an occasional lot lizard near a truck stop or pickle park.

Radio shops are fewer and further between also.

My advice, hook it up, have your SWR's dialed in, but don't spent too much $$ on it.

Man that's some old school lot lizard'in. I'd have thought cell phones and internet would killed off this use of a CB.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 03:06:37 PM »
I have a cb in the dump truck I drive to use in the quarries I haul out of—-that is the only place I can talk to someone on the cb—- I sit in two mile backups on rt.287 in jersey and there is absolutely no one on that thing—it is a shame that the cell phone has replaced the cb—-

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 03:20:38 PM »
Looks similar to my dad's old CB radio.  He was also a ham and converted his CB to use "ham" frequencies.  I suppose there is a small chance your dad did the same.

Jim
no, but I do have his Ham transceiver, Kenwood I think. Could that be used on CB frequencies?  It's a fine expensive looking thing!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:21:42 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 05:25:42 PM »
 a CB Ramble:

If a group of RV'rs are running together, the CB was awfully good with everyone monitoring the same frequency. You have to have GPS and a voice activated smart phone to do what the lowly $30 CB could do in that situation.

A large part of their popularity was that you could be part of a popular movement. The CB users, mainly truckers, formed a nationwide relay network of sorts. If you got a CB, you could join in the fun. In the days before even fax machines, hot topics and good jokes could travel coast to coast faster than you could say "I'm broke down in Lodi, again".

Even today, you may be surprised what you might find on the CB in the evening hours. There is a lot of people listening that do not talk much. If you start calling late at night, you will probably find a lurker. Beware though, there is a good chance it is a typsy eccentric kook. (not me)

The CB is capable of very good range with the right antenna. It might be more fun to use the old radio as a base and string a 15 foot vertical wire dipole antenna as high as you can in a tree. Whenever the sunspot activity cycle swings up again, you can talk via ionospheric skip to a Guzzista Down Under from OKLAHOMA on a good night. (if you can speak the language  :boozing:)

If I ever finish the Convert, it gets a 102" whip CB antenna just for looks.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:45:01 PM by ozarquebus »
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline LaMojo

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 07:22:43 PM »
Got my CB license in 1966. First set was a base/mobile? Tunable 23 receive channel/ transmit crystals optional.  Very few radios on the air then.  Still have a box full of CB mobile sets as I repaired quite a few over the years.
Most RV’ers now use 2 meter ham rigs and operate through a network of repeaters. Some repeater networks are linked cross country via internet.
In the last few years though, cell phones have reduced the need.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 05:48:45 AM »
Man that's some old school lot lizard'in. I'd have thought cell phones and internet would killed off this use of a CB.
f

Probably old lot lizards.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 07:40:38 AM »
I don't know any RVer that uses a CB. Forget the CB, use Waze on the phone to know what is going on ahead. Unless you just want to blab to people.

A standard CB antenna is 102”.

Actually, it is 102", plus a 6" spring. If you don't use the spring, use 108".

And of course a properly loaded antenna can be about any length.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:47:28 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here