Author Topic: Broke out the percolator for morning coffee  (Read 1955 times)

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
Broke out the percolator for morning coffee
« on: July 18, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »
Cafe Bustello, MSR Whisperlite and  hanging out in the garage with cool a/c blowing on my back. In about 12 minutes I’ll be sipping on some bold coffee and perusing the internet for deals.

It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through!

Offline JeffOlson

• Guzzi Hero
Re: Broke out the percolator for morning coffee
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »
I like percolators! My grandparents had one in their cabin. Whenever we would visit, we'd brew up some strong percolated coffee (with Folgers, of course!)

Today, my wife and I live in the cabin (which has been completely rebuilt). The percolator is long gone, but I have fond memories of it, with its sound and smell.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
I like percolators! My grandparents had one in their cabin. Whenever we would visit, we'd brew up some strong percolated coffee (with Folgers, of course!)

Today, my wife and I live in the cabin (which has been completely rebuilt). The percolator is long gone, but I have fond memories of it, with its sound and smell.

One of the great things about food and drink threads are the memories they spark. Its amazing how a few typed works can bring up the smells, tastes and sights from decades ago making them seem like only yesterday.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Guzzi Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 17 Griso,12 Ural Gear Up, 08 GL 1800Trike
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:07:57 PM »
Bustelo, is some great Cuban coffee! I didnt know you could brew it in a percolator, I thought it was too fine ground for that. Apparently not.
  My Cuban grandmother would drink strong bustelo coffee everyday, all day long, in espresso form until she was  94.
Once she had he "Bustelo  buzz on" she was off to the races, staying active the whole day.
Amazing stuff!  :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:07:57 PM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 12:39:47 PM »
Bustelo, is some great Cuban coffee! I didnt know you could brew it in a percolator, I thought it was too fine ground for that. Apparently not.
  My Cuban grandmother would drink strong bustelo coffee everyday, all day long, in espresso form until she was  94.
Once she had he "Bustelo  buzz on" she was off to the races, staying active the whole day.
Amazing stuff!  :thumb:
Rick.

Its not ideal but he flavor is so good with a few suggestions its doable.

1. Line the percolator basket with a coffee filter. Spoon in the grounds and then trim the rest of the filter with a air of scissors.
2. After brewing let the pot sit off the heat undisturbed for a few minutes to let the fines settle out.
3. Don't drink the last of the pot

Café Bustelo is also really good out of the Moca pot. It makes a very bold cup of coffee that is great served up espresso style or add homemade brownie in the bottom of a bowl dollop a few scoops of good vanilla ice-cream and then drizzle a little of the coffee over the ice cream. 

What really neat is the way different brewing methods extract different flavors from the same coffee/water. Using a drip, peculator, Moca pot, French press all produce different flavors.

Offline AJ Huff

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »
Man I need to get one of those and put it in my rotation. I never knew there was a stove top percolator. I just remember the big plug in one my dad had when I was little.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
MGNOC# L-753

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Guzzi Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
    • King of Fleece LLC SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 03:10:05 PM »
I'm a BIG fan of boiled coffee.  Every day.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline malik

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
Barbarians!
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Motormike

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »
I can still remember as a kid, waking up to the smell and sound of my mom's percolator in the kitchen.  I can't stand these KEURIG coffee makers everyone has today, including my wife.  I've tried every brand coffee pod imaginable, Starbucks, Dunkin, Green Mountain, on and on, they all taste awful.  So I found a percolator just like the one my mom & dad had when I was a kid.  A 1960's vintage Sunbeam percolator on ebay.  Made in the good ol USA and still works like a charm.  Good, drinkable coffee.  Sure, the grounds are a little messy, but it is soooo much better that coffee from those little plastic pods!

Offline geodoc

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 09:55:18 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Guzzi Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 10:11:12 PM »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 06:13:28 AM »
I can still remember as a kid, waking up to the smell and sound of my mom's percolator in the kitchen.  I can't stand these KEURIG coffee makers everyone has today, including my wife.  I've tried every brand coffee pod imaginable, Starbucks, Dunkin, Green Mountain, on and on, they all taste awful.  So I found a percolator just like the one my mom & dad had when I was a kid.  A 1960's vintage Sunbeam percolator on ebay.  Made in the good ol USA and still works like a charm.  Good, drinkable coffee.  Sure, the grounds are a little messy, but it is soooo much better that coffee from those little plastic pods!

Keurig makes dirty water.

Offline Lannis

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 07:04:55 AM »
For years, Fay and I tried our darndest to learn to be Coffee Aficionados (read "Snobs").   We tried all manner of exotic coffees from the four corners of the earth, went to custom coffee roasters to try each coffee in light to dark roasts, ground our own beans in both blade and hammer-type grinders, hand and electric.   

We had pre-heat drip coffee makers, french presses, percolators ....

We were ready to spend money if we had to, since we drink coffee every single day, and (like anything else you use every day, like a mattress or shower) it's worth getting the right thing.   A $3000 espresso machine and $40/pound coffee?   No problem, we'll do without something else and make it happen.

Then we were over at my son's house, he served coffee, and we were like "Wow, this is excellent coffee, as good as anything we've ever had.   What is it?" ... hoping it would be some exotic new thing that was hard to get.

Dunkin Doughnuts Medium Roast Original Blend ground coffee through a Cuisinart drip coffee maker.

If this be barbarity, make the most of it!  as Patrick Henry didn't quite say .... So that's what we drink.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 07:13:37 AM »
I’ve been using a stove top percolator forever. If I could just find a good source for Kenya coffee. Used to buy it from community coffee in New Orleans bu they stopped selling it
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline ohiorider

• Guzzi Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 07:18:50 AM »
Reminded me of this commercial .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWEYjEQ75ZM

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120

Offline dguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
  • I'd rather have a tractor beam than a winch.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 08:45:31 AM »
I've been looking around for a camping coffee pot, damn if I would pay the prices of a new one!  I like the one in the first post.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'04 Troybilt
'00 Tundra
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Online Anomaly

• New Goose
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 09:05:18 AM »
Kamira. Nothing more to say.

2012 v7 Classic
Sold: 98 BMW F650

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
I've been looking around for a camping coffee pot, damn if I would pay the prices of a new one!  I like the one in the first post.

Walmart $29 in the camping section. All stainless steel. There are others in the sub $20 range as well w/ different style handles.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:14:08 AM by Perazzimx14 »

Offline jrt

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 10:45:23 AM »
Geodoc, why do you put insect repellent in your coffee?  Does it add that piquant flavor profile?  :cheesy:

I use a stand-alone espresso machine made by ECM.  It makes a fine espresso or cappuccino. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)

Offline AJ Huff

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »
Kamira. Nothing more to say.

This looks very interesting alternative to the Handpresso I have and never bonded with. I might need to explore it. But I have a real struggle making less than a liter at a time. You guys sure drink small cups of coffee.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
MGNOC# L-753

Offline dguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
  • I'd rather have a tractor beam than a winch.
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
Walmart $29 in the camping section. All stainless steel. There are others in the sub $20 range as well w/ different style handles.

Need aluminum and I won't be using it for coffee.  Used and dented is fine..   (it will be for artwork)
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'04 Troybilt
'00 Tundra
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline geodoc

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »
Geodoc, why do you put insect repellent in your coffee?  Does it add that piquant flavor profile?  :cheesy:

I use a stand-alone espresso machine made by ECM.  It makes a fine espresso or cappuccino.

Where the airplane was parked in SW Alaska, you need to make a copious application to your person of DEET-containing repellent at regular intervals or you'll swell up like an itchy balloon. I preferred the kind that would melt a plastic wrist watch as most effective. Got to have a nice steaming hot cup while waiting for the lads to catch a pike or two.

As an aside, the stove is a Coleman and Avgas 100LL burned fine in it.

Meanwhile, different Beaver, different lake in a different country, but same coffee making rig:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:52:56 PM by geodoc »

Offline Motormike

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 07:23:44 PM »
My late 1950's Sunbeam Coffeemaster.  Model AP.  Just like the one my mom used every morning.

Built like a tank in the good ol' US of A!  Back when this country made things to last!

Offline AJ Huff

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
Need aluminum and I won't be using it for coffee.  Used and dented is fine..   (it will be for artwork)

Hah! I'm the opposite. Even my Mokapot is stainless steel. And my French press. I frickin' hate aluminum.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
MGNOC# L-753

Online bad Chad

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 09:22:05 AM »
Percolators are fun.  I used to be fascinated by the olive green one my grandparents used all the time.

But it was the 70s and Mr. Coffee had come out and Americans discovered that automatic drip made for noticeably better tasting coffee, so my folks switched to auto drip at some point.

The consensus among people who know how to make coffee is percolators are a bad way to make good tasting coffee, it burns the crap out of the beans.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 09:39:14 AM »
Percolators are fun.  I used to be fascinated by the olive green one my grandparents used all the time.

But it was the 70s and Mr. Coffee had come out and Americans discovered that automatic drip made for noticeably better tasting coffee, so my folks switched to auto drip at some point.

The consensus among people who know how to make coffee is percolators are a bad way to make good tasting coffee, it burns the crap out of the beans.

I'd say auto drip is more convenient but it doesn't make a better cup of coffee.

Roasting coffee beans happens at about 350+ degrees. Boil water is 212 degrees. Its impossible to burn/scorch the coffee with boiling water. burned coffee was caused by the auto drip machine with a warmer under the pot.

Percolator coffee is certainly stronger or more bold as you run the same fluid over the grounds mutiple times extracting more flavor with each pass vs one pass in/out with an auto drip.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:42:36 AM by Perazzimx14 »

Offline Lannis

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 09:48:33 AM »
Jaguars are prettier than Austin-Healeys, redheads with green eyes are the best looking women, Border Collies are the handsomest dogs, Farberware is the best cookware, and Aprilia makes the fastest, most stylish sport-bikes.

There, that's settled .... !

Lannis

Offline jcctx

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
Jaguars are prettier than Austin-Healeys, redheads with green eyes are the best looking women, Border Collies are the handsomest dogs, Farberware is the best cookware, and Aprilia makes the fastest, most stylish sport-bikes.

There, that's settled .... !

Lannis
LANNIS HAS SPOKEN!!

Offline Lannis

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2020, 02:01:57 PM »
      Yay Lannis, Lannis for President. Border Collies Rule.

Our Jack agrees ...

He certainly rules around our house ....

Lannis

Online bad Chad

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »
This seems to sum it up,

The percolator was invented by American soldier and scientist Count Rumford, U.S. patented by James Mason 1865, and adapted to stove-tops by farmer Hanson Goodrich in 1889. So the tool had been an American staple for over a century before the drip coffee makers arrived.

Percolators differ from drip coffee makers in that they cycle water through the grounds multiple times. This results in what’s often referred to as “over-extraction.”

With a percolator, you are going to get a strong, robust but bitter tasting coffee, due to the combination of consistent boiling and the length of time the percolator runs. The water in the bottom of the pot can get to a rolling boil and the already brewed coffee can cycle through grounds multiple times.

Because of this, users must essentially babysit their percolator to maintain the proper temperature and brew time. Otherwise, the coffee won’t be too pleasant. Once you get a hang of it, this method can brew a decent cup of coffee.

The main pull of this method is its versatility. Percolators come in self-heating and non-self-heating options. That means some of them can be used both in-house on a stove-top or in a microwave, or on camping trips over a fire.

2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler with donation credit
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here