Author Topic: Thinking of retiring in Colorado  (Read 5303 times)

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
Thinking of retiring in Colorado
« on: January 24, 2021, 11:43:22 AM »

Greetings All!!

We stayed in Grand Junction Colorado after the great Not-a-Rally in Cedar Vale (THANKS Dusty and helpers!!!) and was impressed with the Palisade area just east of there.

Reason we are thinking of leaving California?

California taxes my military retirement check and Colorado doesn't up to 24K. Well below what I get.

California taxes in general. Property, city, car registration etc.

Dusty also recommended the southeast area of Colorado also.

OK so here is my question to the collective...

What area of Colorado is a good place to consider retiring?

This will be our last move. Whatever house we buy will be our last.

Another bonus is Colorado is closer to Cedar Vale! We WILL have another Not-a-Rally soon!!

Thanks for your opinions,

Jeff

Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
Re: Thinking of retiring in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »
I imagine Dusty meant SW Colorado, not SE Colorado.

The Grand Junction / Palisade area is popular with retirees but it does get quite warm in the summer. A little further south you’ll find Delta, Montrose, Cedaredge, Hotchkiss and Paonia. Farther SW is Durango, Bayfield, and Cortez. All worthy of your consideration.

I left San Diego for Colorado in 2002 and never looked back.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:11:35 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:13:58 PM »
The western slope of Colorado is wonderful with lots of great riding roads. Your money will go a lot further there than it would in the central Rockies or on the front range (eastern slope). I can't imagine Dusty recommending south east Colorado as an option other than it is dirt cheap because there is nothing there but dirt. And flat boring dirt at that.
Palisade is nice and the setting sun will heat your home through the night with its intensity. If you can find a place just a tiny bit further east up on the Grand Mesa you would have a really sweet place. The extra elevation really helps keep the summer temps down.
That whole area all the way down to Ouray is my favorite part of the state and I almost always ride around there for a week or so every summer. The local BMW club has a rally in Paonia every July that is easily one of the best rallies anywhere. There is usually around 6-10 of us there on Moto Guzzi's every year.

Skippy 
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »
 Was referencing the area around Trinidad and South of there . A bit less frou frou than other parts of Colorado ( :laugh:) and a little warmer . A friend who has lived in the Grand Junction area for twenty years has mentioned wanting out because of the cold and wind in the Winter . The part of Colorado between Trinidad and the NM border is beautiful , and since Jeff mentioned Cedar Vale , only a day away .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 01:22:37 PM »
I like to spend summer time in Colorado.  I suppose I'd like to have the best of Colorado beauty and close enough to Denver or Colorado Springs to enjoy the arts, cafes and concerts.  There are lots of nice places in the mountains like Crested Butte, Telluride, Ouray, Steamboat, Durango but they are too isolated for my taste.  Same is true for the larger places that border the mountains like Monstrose, Gunnison and Salida.  And places like Vail and Aspen are outside the cost for average folks.  Denver, Col Springs, Boulder are too urban.

So here are some places that appeal to me.  The "Banana Belt" SW of Denver, Confier, Evergreen, Bailey, Aspen Park.  It's pretty temperate there all year long, the snow comes and goes.   Idaho Springs seems nice, not sure about the winter weather.  Breckenridge is one of the ski towns that more affordable.  Ft Collins is a very nice college town that sets on the eastern ridge, not sure of the winter weather.   All of these are within couple of hours of Denver.

In the Colorado Springs area there is Manitou Springs, Cripple Creek, Woodland Park.  Been years since I've been through there and again, not sure about the winter but assume it's cold and snowy.

For myself, I'd like to find a spot in the Banana Belt, I have friends there.  If I just wanted a summer spot, since I don't ski, I'd consider a condo in Breckenridge. 

I like New Mexico, Colorado and The Gulf.  Not sure I could live in either place all year round.  Would love to have vacation spot in the  mountains and the beach.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:50:33 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 01:43:22 PM »
I live in Evergreen. It’s awfully cold here in the winter and if you enjoy motorcycling, be prepared for a 4-month riding season (Jun-Sept) unless you don’t mind riding in freezing cold, icy roads, and lots of gravel. March and April are generally the snowiest months but we’ve had snow here every month of the year. Grand Junction is quite temperate by comparison.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »
I live in Evergreen. It’s awfully cold here in the winter and if you enjoy motorcycling, be prepared for a 4-month riding season (Jun-Sept) unless you don’t mind riding in freezing cold, icy roads, and lots of gravel. March and April are generally the snowiest months but we’ve had snow here every month of the year. Grand Junction is quite temperate by comparison.

Well, I was told it was the Banana belt......    :embarrassed:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 02:16:33 PM »
I gotta say, from a guy who lives in the middle of the lower 48, the thought of moving to get closer to Cedar Vale, Ks. cracks me up a little  :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:24:04 PM by oldbike54 »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 02:24:49 PM »
I'd move to Cali if I could afford it.  Central coast looks pretty nice.  Clement S lives there, so it must be nice riding country.   
John L 

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »
Hence my previous post.

"Make sure you check out all the services in the area.  If you need medical services check that out."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:07:02 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »
 I'll make you guys a deal , don't bad mouth California , and I won't let another member say anything bad about your state . Sound like a deal ?

Dusty
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:28:08 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »
sigh......It's a little known fact but Mark Z has a older ex hippie brother who lives mostly on the lamb in Oklahoma. Dusty Zuckerburg  :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:04:16 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 07:36:28 PM »
Was referencing the area around Trinidad and South of there . A bit less frou frou than other parts of Colorado ( :laugh:) and a little warmer . A friend who has lived in the Grand Junction area for twenty years has mentioned wanting out because of the cold and wind in the Winter . The part of Colorado between Trinidad and the NM border is beautiful , and since Jeff mentioned Cedar Vale , only a day away .

Dusty

I do agree that this area is rather nice. In fact, a bit north and west is an other gem of the centennial state that I had forgotten, Spanish Peaks. The area framed by Walsenburg to the north, Aquilar to the east,Weston to the south, and Cuchara to the west.
This area is some beautiful country and home to a lot of good riding roads. Property prices are reasonable without having to be exhiled out on the prairie further east. Though it is a bit remote and thus removed from some of the cultural epicenters in the region but that is also the price to pay. I myself may even consider this area in my retirement years.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 08:09:23 PM »
Everyone feel free to bad mouth eastern Massachusetts.  High taxes, short sand-covered roads, no hills,  few curves, lost tourists, annoyed locals.  I love hearing about Colorado and California.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
I do agree that this area is rather nice. In fact, a bit north and west is an other gem of the centennial state that I had forgotten, Spanish Peaks. The area framed by Walsenburg to the north, Aquilar to the east,Weston to the south, and Cuchara to the west.
This area is some beautiful country and home to a lot of good riding roads. Property prices are reasonable without having to be exhiled out on the prairie further east. Though it is a bit remote and thus removed from some of the cultural epicenters in the region but that is also the price to pay. I myself may even consider this area in my retirement years.

Skippy

Nice road there, Highway of Legends, west of Trinidad and circles back NE to Walsenburg.  Trinidad State Park is there too, nice lake and camping and then up to Lathrop St Park west Walsenburg. 
John L 

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 08:42:52 PM »
OK - "Part Deux" :wink: :laugh: :grin:

Durango or Cortez...maybe Telluride / Silverton / Ouray are too remote for retirement...but still a beautiful area of Colorado... :cool: :thumb: :wink: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
I don't get the "too remote for retirement.." I must be more of a hermit than I thought.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 08:58:09 PM »
OK - "Part Deux" :wink: :laugh: :grin:

Durango or Cortez...maybe Telluride / Silverton / Ouray are too remote for retirement...but still a beautiful area of Colorado... :cool: :thumb: :wink: :smiley:

Yeah , but a little on the pricey side for my blue collar buddy Jeff and his lovely wife . OK , a whole lot pricey  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 09:05:02 PM »
I don't get the "too remote for retirement.." I must be more of a hermit than I thought.  :smiley:

really?

John L 

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 09:24:45 PM »
Here ya go:  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Turkey-Rdg-E-81-Walsenburg-CO-81089/2082828649_zpid/? 

39 acres, well drilled,  and a 2 story shed for $139K, near canyon and BLM land   Great place for future NARs.....  :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 06:49:18 AM »
Here ya go:  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Turkey-Rdg-E-81-Walsenburg-CO-81089/2082828649_zpid/? 

39 acres, well drilled,  and a 2 story shed for $139K, near canyon and BLM land   Great place for future NARs.....  :wink:

Nice OutHouse.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 07:25:52 AM »
Fruita has great weather, amazing outdoor activities, and small town feel
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 07:27:29 AM »

Yeah , but a little on the pricey side for my blue collar buddy Jeff and his lovely wife . OK , a whole lot pricey  :shocked:

Dusty

OK...of all those areas, somewhere around Cortez would probably be the most cost-effective... :wink: :thumb: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 08:01:48 AM »
Fruita has great weather, amazing outdoor activities, and small town feel

I have visited there, and Fruita, CO is also a nice little town / area... :thumb: :cool: :wink: :smiley:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 08:41:08 AM »
I have visited there, and Fruita, CO is also a nice little town / area... :thumb: :cool: :wink: :smiley:

Great mountain biking and hiking there, winters are a little milder than the high mtns, cheaper than the true resort areas
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »
My super good friend Dusty recommended that I move to Kim, CO. I checked it out. Why don't you google it so you know what a fantastic place this is.

Tex and NO I ain't changing my name to Kim!

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 11:03:56 AM »
My super good friend Dusty recommended that I move to Kim, CO. I checked it out. Why don't you google it so you know what a fantastic place this is.

Never been there...but I suspect it's cheap living around that area!!! :laugh: :grin: :wink: :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

"Honey...what are we going to do today?!?"  Uhhhhhh...nothing!" :laugh: :grin: :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 11:04:51 AM »

Who are you again ? :laugh:

Let me say this , when you are running on fumes and haven't passed a store in 150 miles , Kim is a welcome sight .

Dusty

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
Population = 74 (last US census...)

C'mon now...cheap living....mile-high arid desert climate, (hot summer / cold winters),...and a General Store /  gas station!

:laugh: :grin: :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »
 The folks who live in Cedar Vale go to Kim to get away from it all .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here