Author Topic: Thinking of retiring in Colorado  (Read 5242 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Thinking of retiring in Colorado
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
The folks who live in Cedar Vale go to Kim to get away from it all .

Dusty

I am sure it is well worth the ride in the spring / summer / fall!! :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :wink:
I like little small rural towns like that! :wink: :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 11:50:40 AM »
The comment "Too remote for retirement" may mean that when you are getting up in age, access to medical care becomes a bit higher on the priority list.  I had a relative that lived in the North Coast of California.  He got sick and it was a two hour drive to get to a major hospital for treatment.  Then it wasn't even the state of the art treatment.  For that he was told he had to go to either Stanford or UCSF.  Those drives are about 3 to 4 hours from where he lived. 
As I get older I keep thinking that being reasonably close to good medical care is becoming more and more of a priority.  I am told by the Dr. that I am very healthy and I am quite active now (running, biking, etc) but one never knows...

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »
Kinda like California without the good weather???

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
Of course there is Antonito where there is house castle built from hubcaps.  And several UFO viewing areas in the southern half of the state as well.

Besides the cold winters, it's not a great place for gardens and it's pretty difficult to find fresh produce like outdoor tomatoes. 

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »
Another vote for Southwest Colorado.

Grand Junction/Fruita/Mesa County has a reputation as one of the best places in the country for the quality and low cost of Medicare services (it's on the expensive side for private-insurance patients, at least for hospital stays -- that's true of the entire mountain region). A lot has been written about medical care in the area and a google search will find articles in national publications.

We retired to Paonia in Delta County and love it. Medical care isn't a problem -- we're half an hour from an efficient county hospital and ten minutes from the hospital's local clinic. Very satisfied with the quality and availability. Other communities on the Western Slope (and non-Medicare patients) may not be so lucky.

If you need to be close to culture, Fort Collins is tremendous. Two hours from Denver via the flat I-15, with all the amenities of a decent university town -- and Boulder, a live-music mecca, with a summer Shakespeare festival, just an hour away. Fort Collins is also close to some of the best motorcycling in the state, in the foothills east of the Divide, and near Rocky Mountain National Park. Real estate prices are still reasonable.

Where we are, irrigated land is still cheap, but we are isolated. We're 90 minutes to two hours from major ski areas with their summer music festivals, with great motorcycling -- on and off road -- in all directions. The valley opens to the south so is sunny and pleasant most of the year even at 5600 feet elevation. And so we have a lot of farming/ranching, including fruit orchards and vineyards. During the - epidemic we've seen a small but perceptible increase in the number of retired people selling off their urban homes to move here.

After living in NorCal (mountains and Bay Area), Seattle and the Denver-Boulder area, we chose this area as the best combination for affordable real estate and quality of life.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:58:49 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 01:04:07 PM »
After doing my best to spend at least 1 week a year ridding Co. since the late 70"s I can say that I could care less about it now. The beauty is there are few roads. You have to ride 100 boring straight miles to get to the 50 twisty miles.  That was great when there were few people. now every road is virtually unrideable from Friday to late Monday year-round and you might as well stay home holiday weekends. Everybody in Denver wants to "go to the mountains" so the roads, stores, motels, etc are clogged with people, trucks towing campers, and other play toys.
I hit the jackpot when I moved to Ga. The intersection of South Carolina, NC, Tennesse, and Georgia is as good of a motorcycle-riding area as can be found anywhere. Skiing both water and snow, boating, fishing, hunting, low housing, and taxes. What's not to like.
At retirement age, as stated above medical is very important.
If convinced you want to be out west consider Chalma, NM, or similar.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 01:27:27 PM »
After doing my best to spend at least 1 week a year ridding Co. since the late 70"s I can say that I could care less about it now. The beauty is there are few roads. You have to ride 100 boring straight miles to get to the 50 twisty miles.  That was great when there were few people. now every road is virtually unrideable from Friday to late Monday year-round and you might as well stay home holiday weekends. Everybody in Denver wants to "go to the mountains" so the roads, stores, motels, etc are clogged with people, trucks towing campers, and other play toys.
I hit the jackpot when I moved to Ga. The intersection of South Carolina, NC, Tennesse, and Georgia is as good of a motorcycle-riding area as can be found anywhere. Skiing both water and snow, boating, fishing, hunting, low housing, and taxes. What's not to like.
At retirement age, as stated above medical is very important.
If convinced you want to be out west consider Chalma, NM, or similar.

Interesting, and a good point. That's how I'd describe western Montana now, and probably parts of Idaho I used to roam. Sad.

The problem is us, unfortunately. As a German sign on a crowded highway reportedly said, "You are not stuck in traffic. You are traffic." Or, as Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 01:43:59 PM »
Weekend and holiday traffic does get heavy unless you know which routes and areas to avoid (most tourists don’t). But being retired, you don’t need to worry about riding on weekends and holidays. The roads are otherwise quite empty.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Online skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2021, 02:23:56 PM »
Weekend and holiday traffic does get heavy unless you know which routes and areas to avoid (most tourists don’t). But being retired, you don’t need to worry about riding on weekends and holidays. The roads are otherwise quite empty.

This is a true statement. I usually plan all of my trips Monday to Friday and have a blast riding on twisty stuff for days with little to no traffic. But no matter what day it is, when I am either coming from or going to the front range I have to put up with traffic. Being local I at least know the best time of day on any given day to accomplish that with out much pain and aggravation.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2021, 02:30:20 PM »
I might have come off too negative because I really do love it there. Elk hunted there with a black powder gun for many years. I always came a week early to ride using the excuse it would help me get used to the altitude. But, I spent 2008-2018 living a week or so in my buddy's ski condo at 10,500 foot looking out on the Breckenridge ski slopes. Few paved roads to choose from when doing 150-250 mile daily rides from there and on the Memorial day weekend, you might as well stay home.
L-196, L-197

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 02:34:19 PM »
Agree that there is quite of bit of traffic and with the mountains, few alternate routes.  There are still some pretty empty roads, like 92, 149, 141, 46, and 14.  County roads too.  The scenery is specular. 

For full on riding pleasure, the Ark Ozarks is probably the best.  Lots of roads, alternate routes, little traffic, quaint towns, good scenery. 

Of course, I like to ride in both states.  Ark in Spring and Fall, Colo in the Summer.    :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 02:43:27 PM »
Heavy traffic is a Front Range issue. West of Vail there's nothing. Well, slow RVs on a few mountain passes on weekends.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 04:18:26 PM »
Who are you again ? :laugh:

Let me say this , when you are running on fumes and haven't passed a store in 150 miles , Kim is a welcome sight .

Dusty

Beaver and I were in Kim a few years ago and the general store and gas station was CLOSED. I've had wives that had to run to the store even two times a day to get some stuff. City folks would never make it in Kim.

Tex

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 05:02:16 PM »
Beaver and I were in Kim a few years ago and the general store and gas station was CLOSED. I've had wives that had to run to the store even two times a day to get some stuff. City folks would never make it in Kim.

Tex

were you there after 5 PM ? Those folks up there don't stay up past about 6 PM  :grin:

Dusty

Online Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2021, 06:24:35 PM »

Humidity and bugs?  I’ve thought about that area and that was my conclusion, FWIW.  Otherwise it looked promising.  I’d welcome your experience.

I think Central California has the best US setup for a motorcycling retirement, if you can afford the housing prices and taxes.

Agreed about medical care.  Who wants to retire somewhere knowing eventually you’ll be forced to leave.  Maybe some wouldn’t mind that, but it wouldn’t be my choice.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
I'm going to AZ.  Nobody asked.
After living in NYC (Manhattan) for 5 years traffic is well, traffic.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2021, 08:27:07 PM »
Where in the AZ?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2021, 06:35:31 AM »

Greetings All!!

We stayed in Grand Junction Colorado after the great Not-a-Rally in Cedar Vale (THANKS Dusty and helpers!!!) and was impressed with the Palisade area just east of there.

Reason we are thinking of leaving California?

California taxes my military retirement check and Colorado doesn't up to 24K. Well below what I get.

California taxes in general. Property, city, car registration etc.

Dusty also recommended the southeast area of Colorado also.

OK so here is my question to the collective...

What area of Colorado is a good place to consider retiring?

This will be our last move. Whatever house we buy will be our last.

Another bonus is Colorado is closer to Cedar Vale! We WILL have another Not-a-Rally soon!!

Thanks for your opinions,

Jeff

Is Colorado really that much cheaper to live?  I know when talking with motorcyclists out there, they pay to register one bike what I pay to register 4 bikes.  Same with insurance.  I guess it all comes down to perspective.  I know for me Colorado would be a huge increase in expenses and taxes compared to where I am living now. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2021, 09:33:58 AM »
Humidity and bugs?  I’ve thought about that area and that was my conclusion, FWIW.  Otherwise it looked promising.  I’d welcome your experience.

I think Central California has the best US setup for a motorcycling retirement, if you can afford the housing prices and taxes.

Agreed about medical care.  Who wants to retire somewhere knowing eventually you’ll be forced to leave.  Maybe some wouldn’t mind that, but it wouldn’t be my choice.

Fair question, where I'm at, Gainesville on lake Lanier the humidity is certainly there but not quite as bad as S. Ga. The mountains start just N. of me 20 miles or so and they make a buffer zone to the South for about 80 miles that has very few bugs. They claim there is a "Fall line" 80-120 miles south. that is where the ocean origionally stopped. from there south there are all sorts of insect creatures.
I have no ties to the area or family to worry about so I could have moved anywhere after retiring. I choose to stay here as I consider it the motorcycle capital of the world. Looking at every aspect the year around weather, great pavement, twisty mountain roads everywheea and lots of them.
L-196, L-197

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2021, 09:56:39 AM »
Somewhere around Phoenix I think.  The boy is most likely going top college there and we want to see him play.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
I thought everyone from California was stopping in Reno/Sparks. Same problem here as Boise. Home prices being driven higher by Cali transplants so locals are priced out of the market.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 06:24:07 PM by Buckturgidson »
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2021, 11:12:41 AM »
We were considering Reno/Sparks a few years ago, Cold Spgs area. I am sure we couldn't afford to do it now. Prices over in Nevada are sky rocketing. I can't believe the amount of building going on in the Reno area now. What was once the Biggest Little City is turning into a just plain Big City. The small town friendly atmosphere is going away in your area. Heading your way in an hour to see the eye Dr.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2021, 11:57:38 AM »
Welcome to our world here in northern Arizona!!!  :rolleyes: :shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked: 
People from California / Texas / and many other states are leaving in droves and moving to Sedona / The Village of Oak Creek / Cottonwood / Cornville / Prescott / Prescott Valley / Chino Valley / Dewey-Humbodlt...and buying up all the available houses / properties everywhere!! [/i][/b] Glad we bought our house five (5) years ago!!!  *** PRICES ARE GOING WAY UP!! *** :rolleyes: :shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2021, 01:57:03 PM »
I'm staying in Illinois, nice straight roads to get you there quick. No unnecessary turns or hills just long straight roads. Your adventure bikes would do well on our fine broken roads and highway expansion joints and of course the endless sea of Harleys running from remote bar to remote bar. Oh retirement income is not taxed, just everything else possible. :)
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2021, 02:33:10 PM »
Somewhere around Phoenix I think.  The boy is most likely going top college there and we want to see him play.

East Valley.  Mesa, Apache Junction, Chandler or Gilbert.  Scottsdale & Paradise Valley are expensive.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2021, 04:22:39 PM »
Taxes in Colorado aren’t excessive, nor is the cost of housing. The population of the entire state is roughly equivalent to that of San Diego County and it’s not difficult to find peace and quiet once you leave the metropolitan areas. If the weather was more moderate, it’d be just about ideal. For the activities I enjoy, I find the affordability and quality of life to be superior compared to the coastal cities of California (SF, LA, SD).
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2021, 04:28:19 PM »
And if you live in Colorado it's easy to get to our NAR.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »
I like Gunnison and the Pueblo areas.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »
Okay, everyone fess up.
You're going to CO for the legal pot!
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »
Okay, everyone fess up.
You're going to CO for the legal pot!

it is a reason I've not moved to Texas.
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here