Author Topic: Thinking of retiring in Colorado  (Read 5305 times)

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Re: Thinking of retiring in Colorado
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
Welcome to our world here in northern Arizona!!!  :rolleyes: :shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked: 
People from California / Texas / and many other states are leaving in droves and moving to Sedona / The Village of Oak Creek / Cottonwood / Cornville / Prescott / Prescott Valley / Chino Valley / Dewey-Humbodlt...and buying up all the available houses / properties everywhere!! [/i][/b] Glad we bought our house five (5) years ago!!!  *** PRICES ARE GOING WAY UP!! *** :rolleyes: :shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked:

Know this thread is about CO but how about Flagstaff. Been there a couple times and enjoyed the city and altitude. Also curious about the water situation.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »
Go west to Williams.  Property prices are better.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »

THANKS everyone for all the replies. Definitely gives us some more ideas.

This will be our last move so want to make it a good choice!

Again,

Thanks!!

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »
We were considering Reno/Sparks a few years ago, Cold Spgs area. I am sure we couldn't afford to do it now. Prices over in Nevada are sky rocketing. I can't believe the amount of building going on in the Reno area now. What was once the Biggest Little City is turning into a just plain Big City. The small town friendly atmosphere is going away in your area. Heading your way in an hour to see the eye Dr.
kk
Thread drift alert:
Yes, Reno was better 20 years ago when I moved from Indy. Overall growth and sprawl happened, and the town is losing it's character. I liked downtown when it had old gritty places like the Little Nugget and the Reno Turf Club. You know, the kind of places you wipe your feet when you leave. While some places like that remain, the overall trend is gentrification. A beautiful female rider I know sums it up with a sticker on her Subie: "Keep Reno Sleazy." That ain't happening and it sucks. we are turning into Everytown USA.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
Know this thread is about CO but how about Flagstaff. Been there a couple times and enjoyed the city and altitude. Also curious about the water situation.

Flagstaff is a cool university town (NAU)...so has a young vibe.  No real real-estate bargains there, and housing is expensive also.  Winters are very cold and windy.  No issues with water that I am aware of.  We are 45 minutes south in the VOC. :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2021, 01:05:23 PM »
Thread drift alert:
Yes, Reno was better 20 years ago when I moved from Indy. Overall growth and sprawl happened, and the town is losing it's character. I liked downtown when it had old gritty places like the Little Nugget and the Reno Turf Club. You know, the kind of places you wipe your feet when you leave. While some places like that remain, the overall trend is gentrification. A beautiful female rider I know sums it up with a sticker on her Subie: "Keep Reno Sleazy." That ain't happening and it sucks. we are turning into Everytown USA.

My youngest is at the U.  He graduates this year.  Not sure if he'll stay there or move to Vegas for work.  I'm going to try and head to Dayton this year for the state rally.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »
My youngest is at the U.  He graduates this year.  Not sure if he'll stay there or move to Vegas for work.  I'm going to try and head to Dayton this year for the state rally.   :thumb:

your youngest, that's not the little kid I met when we were out there. damn they grow up fast
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
Go west to Williams.  Property prices are better.

and only an hour and half to Phoenix? 

What is the climate and scenery there?  Cannabis legal?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2021, 05:59:10 PM »
your youngest, that's not the little kid I met when we were out there. damn they grow up fast

Y'ep, that's the one.  He's a Business Finance major. 

He almost changed to Accounting.  I told him that for Honolulu it would be better, if it was more business with an emphasis on finance.  He would be in a better position to find a job in Honolulu.  A distant uncle has a tech firm doing business NYC, Shanghai & SF.

He's currently interning with a property management firm in NYC.  I don't think I need to worry about him. 

The oldest got his BS in Physics.  He would like to go to grad school.  He'll probably do that.  Don't need to worry about him either.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2021, 06:04:17 PM »
and only an hour and half to Phoenix? 

What is the climate and scenery there?  Cannabis legal?

More like 2 hrs by I40 & I17 or vice versa.  High plains desert.  Close to the mountains & RT66.  Not that far from Flagstaff.  If you go East....Holbrook & Winslow.  As far as I know MJ isn't legal but anyone can carry/conceal without a license.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2021, 06:13:10 PM »
More like 2 hrs by I40 & I17 or vice versa.  High plains desert.  Close to the mountains & RT66.  Not that far from Flagstaff.  If you go East....Holbrook & Winslow.  As far as I know MJ isn't legal but anyone can carry/conceal without a license.

For the last point, I've considered San Antonio Hill Country, perhaps New Orleans, AZ and FL, but I'm not going to sell off and move into a situation worse from where I live now.  Cali would be a definite if I could afford it.  CO might be a tad cold. 

I suppose where I am is cheap and predictable.  A day's drive to the Rockies or the beach.  An enjoyable day's ride to the Ozarks.  Not really bad for flyover place.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
Was referencing the area around Trinidad and South of there . A bit less frou frou than other parts of Colorado ( :laugh:) and a little warmer . A friend who has lived in the Grand Junction area for twenty years has mentioned wanting out because of the cold and wind in the Winter . The part of Colorado between Trinidad and the NM border is beautiful , and since Jeff mentioned Cedar Vale , only a day away .

Dusty

I like Shinbone,  and a lot of the country south of the Picketwire.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2021, 10:27:48 PM »
I like Shinbone,  and a lot of the country south of the Picketwire.

Had to google that  :laugh:

There actually is a town called Last Chance in Colorado .

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2021, 11:03:33 PM »
Had to google that  :laugh:

There actually is a town called Last Chance in Colorado .

Dusty

It's fine country, pilgrim.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2021, 11:17:39 PM »
It's fine country, pilgrim.

Is that a movie reference ?

Never mind , google says it is dialogue spoken by John Wayne .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2021, 12:00:21 AM »

Dusty

Liberty Valance, I had to google it. Big Mike has a way sliding in movie and Dead references in his posts.
John L 

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2021, 06:54:19 AM »

Dusty

Yep.  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was set in southeastern Colorado.  In a little town south of the Purgatoire River.  Trinidad had to be the inspiration,  if not Branson.

First movie where he referred to someone as "Pilgrim".  Its a classic.  You should watch it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:33:20 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline t6warbird

• New Egg
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2021, 07:07:26 AM »
I've been living in Colorado Springs for 35 years now - not in the mountains but they're 10 miles up the pass.  Great small/large town.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2021, 07:34:23 AM »
Liberty Valance, I had to google it. Big Mike has a way sliding in movie and Dead references in his posts.

Yes, sir!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:44:43 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2021, 10:40:51 AM »
Y'ep, that's the one.  He's a Business Finance major. 

He almost changed to Accounting.  I told him that for Honolulu it would be better, if it was more business with an emphasis on finance.  He would be in a better position to find a job in Honolulu.  A distant uncle has a tech firm doing business NYC, Shanghai & SF.

He's currently interning with a property management firm in NYC.  I don't think I need to worry about him. 

The oldest got his BS in Physics.  He would like to go to grad school.  He'll probably do that.  Don't need to worry about him either.

Speaking as a retiring accountant after 37 years, finance would be a better choice if I had to do it over again.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2021, 10:56:26 AM »
We enjoyed Salida during 2 rally’s.Beautiful area close to mts and Arkansas River and large Italian ancestry.Traffic not bad like Denver or Fort Collins.Great Mexican food  as well as Italian.

oldbike54

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2021, 11:45:09 AM »
Yep.  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was set in southeastern Colorado.  In a little town south of the Purgatoire River.  Trinidad had to be the inspiration,  if not Branson.

First movie where he referred to someone as "Pilgrim".  Its a classic.  You should watch it.

I am one of the few guys who hasn't ever watched a John Wayne movie , and only one Clint movie . Of course I've only watched about 10 movies other than the Python stuff . Either fall asleep or get bored , or wonder if the screenwriter has ever read a history book . Oh , what was the movie with Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda where they owned the house of ill repute ? That was a funny western .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2021, 01:11:24 PM »

Yes, sir!

Hope you're doing well,  LTNS.  Hope to get towards your way in the Spring.
John L 

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2021, 01:16:10 PM »
I am one of the few guys who hasn't ever watched a John Wayne movie , and only one Clint movie . Of course I've only watched about 10 movies other than the Python stuff . Either fall asleep or get bored , or wonder if the screenwriter has ever read a history book . Oh , what was the movie with Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda where they owned the house of ill repute ? That was a funny western .

Dusty

"Cheyenne Social Club" is what you're thinking of.

"Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is really a Jimmy Stewart Movie, with Wayne in a supporting role.  Lee Marvin is Liberty Valance, and is great in the part.

It really is a classic western you oughta see. 

And to swing back around to the OP's topic, Trinidad area is great, with access to the Sangre de Cristo mountains of Colorado and New Mexico.  I love that area.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:17:50 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2021, 04:05:43 PM »
A minor fact.  Trinidad, CO used to be the gender reassignment capital of the U.S.  Don't know if it's still the same.  You'll have to have more tolerance in your system than other areas of the country.    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-sex-change-capital-of-the-us/

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2021, 04:11:51 PM »
Speaking as a retiring accountant after 37 years, finance would be a better choice if I had to do it over again.

I'll let him know.  It'll reinforce his decision to do Business Mgmt./Finance.  He started off thinking Engineering but I did some career counseling with him.  He originally settled on International Business.  I did tell him that by his junior year he should have a firm major in place. 

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2021, 11:09:19 PM »
Is Colorado really that much cheaper to live?  I know when talking with motorcyclists out there, they pay to register one bike what I pay to register 4 bikes.  Same with insurance.  I guess it all comes down to perspective.  I know for me Colorado would be a huge increase in expenses and taxes compared to where I am living now.
Where are you?
What are property taxes and income taxes?

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2021, 01:50:19 PM »
My first duty station was Fort Carson, C.Springs.

Looooved it.

Really enjoyed the area around Woodland Park (due west over the first ridge on the back side of Pikes Peak) and Buena Vista (Due West of Canyon City). Did alot of camping and dirt biking.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2021, 05:41:44 PM »
I know when talking with motorcyclists out there, they pay to register one bike what I pay to register 4 bikes.  Same with insurance.

Colorado has the Taxpayer Bill of Rights amendment (TABOR), which limits income taxes. A number of years ago, facing a serious budget shortfall, the legislature redefined many government revenue items as user fees. So vehicle registrations went up sharply. As for M/C insurance I'm currently paying about $440/year to cover four registered bikes.

Other taxes vary locally, of course. There are websites that add up cost-of-living county by county including taxes, groceries, rents etc. State by state, Colorado is right in the middle when you average all taxes but a bit above the national average for real estate costs and groceries. My county has very low property taxes (underfunded schools and cheap real estate) so total cost of living is low. The closer you get to a ski resort or to Boulder/Denver, the higher the real estate, property taxes and total costs of living. If you can pay cash for your final real estate purchase, you can strike the cost of rent off your cost-of-living ledger and just look at property tax.

My take on retirement is that you want to balance total local cost of living against quality of life. High quality of life for me includes twisty mountain roads and skiing. So I'm willing to live with a shorter motorcycling season and doing my own wrenching. Ymmv. Maybe you need warm weather. In that case remember that living near the beach may cost extra in real estate and rust prevention.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2021, 08:05:19 PM »
I have friends that moved to Colorado. 

Living there is relatively affordable.  The worst is the cost of housing.  They were lucky to find a nice place during the real estate downturn 6 or 7 years ago.  They're retired and doing fine.  The legal cannabis was big draw for them.

I know they get cabin fever in the Winter.  Their adult children moved to Denver about the same time but they didn't all move at the same time.   I love to stay with them when the summer us hot here.  They stay with me in the Springtime and early summer.  We always try to make The Dead & Co show in Boulder.

John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here