Author Topic: Tube tire flat kit  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Guzzi Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Tube tire flat kit
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 02:07:03 PM »
I strongly recommend you learn how to and practice fixing a flat. My V7 only had a side stand so I carried a Snap-Jack to enable lifting the wheel off the ground.

Yes on the practice, practice, practice.

More than once, I just laid the motorcycle on the side in the grass, and pulled the tire out. Might be a problem on a Norge, with the plastic, but most other models are easy.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzziart

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 04:46:44 PM »
I have used rope plugs on my own stuff on three different occasions and a few times to help others get back on the road.  The rope plugs worked fine to get me where I was going but then I replaced the tire as soon as possible.  I (personally) have little faith in their longevity.  I know of a fellow rider that plugged his tire several weeks prior to a ride to the Va. rally from NE Ohio, luckily he didn't have an accident as the tire deflated on I77s in Charleston, WVa.  He got the tire replaced at a local HD dealer.  I suspect he may not have properly installed the rope plug.  Or the rope plug failed from heat build up in the tire.  It was in the 90's that day, maybe the rope plug glue/sealant softened up and inflation pressure forced the plug out of the tire...idk.  I carry rope plugs on the bike and will use them as needed but I don't consider them as a lasting permanent repair.  Yeah, it's a pisser to toss out a baloney with plenty of meat on it.  And, noI ain't rich. :sad:

Offline JNMathews

• New Goose
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »
I highly recommend the "Ride -on" goop. I use it in almost everything,and it works! I have it in the e bicycles tires, with tubes,and it seals mesquite thorn punctures no problem, I also use it in my tubeless motorcycle tires, and have pulled a roofing nail from a tire, spun it,and it sealed right up. I have used it in a dirt bike also with innertubes, and have never gotten a flat. The deserts where I ride are not very tire friendly, but this stuff is up to the task.  :thumb:
Rick.

Hey Rick,

When you put this type of product inside the tire, does it gum up the valve in the stem and cause problems adding/relieving pressure due to changes in the ambient temperature?

Online egschade

• Guzzi Hero
  • You can also find me on mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
Hey Rick,

When you put this type of product inside the tire, does it gum up the valve in the stem and cause problems adding/relieving pressure due to changes in the ambient temperature?

When I put it in my tubes I blew the stems clear w/ air before putting the valves back. Have checked pressure and added air a couple times w/o issue. Centrifugal force pushes it away from the stem.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:20:46 AM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ
2020 V85TT Adventure

Past Guzzis:
V7 III
Griso 1200SE
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »

Offline JNMathews

• New Goose
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 02:56:54 PM »
When I put it in my tubes I blew the stems clear w/ air before putting the valves back. Have checked pressure and added are a couple times w/o issue. Centrifugal force pushes it away from the stem.

Ah, good idea, thank you.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Guzzi Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
    • King of Fleece LLC SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »
For rope plugs impossible to beat Nealy plugs.

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/

I'll never have tubes ever again.  It's really the only automatic disqualifier for me-and no, this does not assist the OP!  FWIW, if it was my bike I'd swap wheels (which I did on my Jackal) or remove and seal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:54:03 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Guzzi Hero
  • Riding since 1979, 2 years on (under) a Guzzi.
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 09:44:25 PM »
Hot Patch Kit was the best. Gone since, when? 1960?
Watching my dad fix the old skins on the '56 Plymouth was literally very flashy.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:57:21 PM by ozarquebus »
John
1000SPII (on the road)
V1000 G5 (rideable)
2 Dead Converts ((looking for a third)

Harper's Moto Guzzi
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

Win a 2005 Harley Road King and help a great cause.
Limited number of tickets to be sold.
https://go.eventgroovefundraising.com/pipesforpupraffle/Campaign
Advertise Here