Author Topic: Tube tire flat kit  (Read 2640 times)

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Tube tire flat kit
« on: February 09, 2021, 07:04:52 AM »
Curious to know what tools, treatments or tips you have for bikes with tube tires. I'm been on tubless wheels for a really long time and want to know what I should put together for my flat fix kit. I already have a small compressor and decent tire irons but what else? What about sealing products like Ride On or Slime?
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Tube tire flat kit
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 07:14:14 AM »
I recommend going to a tubeless conversion and carrying a plug kit.

Trying to break a bead on a modern tubeless radial on the side of the road so you can fish out the tube to either patch or replace is ridiculous. Doable but ridiculous. There are a couple of threads around here to offer guidance on doing the conversion your self otherwise there are plenty of professional shops around that can do the service for you. I myself went to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver. $300 or so. Money well spent.
Lost over two pounds of un-sprung weight plus all of the weight and space savings carrying all the crap around to do a side of the road repair.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »
I change the tires with tubes on my 02 Stone and they can be a bear without the proper tools.  I would not want to deal with a tube tire flat on the road. The compressor and a slime type product would be a good temporary fix.  But if you are going to repair a tube tire the best answer is to replace the tube.  If I am taking the tire off there is no good reason to patch a tube.   Personally I want to do a tube tire repair at home with all the tools available. 

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »
I have patched tubes a number of times on the side of the road, or in the woods. Often using a screwdriver for a tire tool.

One big headache I had was that the patches were old, and the adhesive on them was hardened. When I had that problem, the tube of cement was good, still fresh and sealed in metal. But the heat had damaged the patches over the many years and they were bad. So refresh the supplies occasionally.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
I have patched tubes a number of times on the side of the road, or in the woods. Often using a screwdriver for a tire tool.

One big headache I had was that the patches were old, and the adhesive on them was hardened. When I had that problem, the tube of cement was good, still fresh and sealed in metal. But the heat had damaged the patches over the many years and they were bad. So refresh the supplies occasionally.

I have no doubt the first sentence in the above quote is accurate, however I am inclined to speculate that the road side patch job was on a wire wheel without the additional bead lock mechanism that modern tubeless wheels have. These modern rims are a real bear to break the bead on even with a really good set of bead breakers let alone spooning the tire on and off. The old tube type wire wheels don't have the little bump to capture and lock the bead.

Skippy

23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »

Good points. A friend on his '74 Ducati 750GT got a flat up north a few years back.  Luckily there were a few of us on the ride.  2 guys fished the punctured part of the tube out of the rim while another guy rode to the next town for a bicycle repair kit.  Didn't hurt that we stopped in front of a service station with air.  I also remember the tire being really hot as he rode on the leaking tube for a little while.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »
I still carry the BeadBrkr kit, a spare tube (rear) & a tube patch kit in the luggage on long trips. The patch kit needs a refresh. Haven't bit the bullet to seal the V7s' rims as yet. I also carry both a small hand pump & a 12V one. I've had a few unplanned flats over the years. Keep my hand in by changing my own tyres - the theory being the more often you do it, the quicker you get at it. I have done so ever since getting a flat on the CX500 out in the bush on a Friday afternoon back in the 80's - back then, everything was closed until Monday morning. Back then I didn't trust the new-tangled tubeless stuff, & used tubes. Not getting caught out like that again.

Generally, it works out OK, but the last flat I had, a couple of holes ripped through the tread & destroyed the tyre - I was trying to get back home on a bald tyre & didn't quite make it. Caught me unawares - I usually get around 20,000km from a rear tyre & this one wore through earlier than expected at 14,000. You never can tell.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 12:13:56 AM »
  How about having your BCAA card handy and getting towed to a service garage  :thumb: . Peter

Offline Cdn850T5NT

• Cdn850T5NT
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 12:27:16 AM »
I like the BCAA idea... :)
1985 Eurospec 850 T5 NT (Nuovo Tipo - New Type... i.e. Series III)

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 05:57:36 AM »
I straighten up and ride home slow. Oh yea, avoid potholes as well...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 08:34:11 AM »
I have no doubt the first sentence in the above quote is accurate, however I am inclined to speculate that the road side patch job was on a wire wheel without the additional bead lock mechanism that modern tubeless wheels have. These modern rims are a real bear to break the bead on even with a really good set of bead breakers let alone spooning the tire on and off. The old tube type wire wheels don't have the little bump to capture and lock the bead.

Some of them  were dirt bikes, with rim locks. A rim bead can be easy compared to a rim locking block.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 08:34:52 AM »
I straighten up and ride home slow. Oh yea, avoid potholes as well...
This...And if you're a thin guy on a 400 pound bike you can usually ride a reasonable distance...

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:24 AM »
egschade

I've never had a patched tube hold - I don't think they can.

What has worked for many years is :    That SLIME made for tubes also balances the tire , so just put the recommended amount in with the new tube when its "Tire-Change-Time" . 

The CMAUSA group has a " HELP "phone number IF you need a trailer and/or a hand during regular business hours when somebody is in the corporate office .

870-389-6196

I also really avoid  " Spoke - Wheels " where possible .    I have three bike and only one has spokes .   The Kawasaki W-650 may get modified to Suzuki Mag wheels when the rear tire wears out ... or traded for a RE c-650 if the RE starts using Mag wheels.   
I do carry a plug kit w/pump.

:grin:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 11:22:48 AM »
The Stornello and Convert are the first Tube type tires I have had in years.  So far no issues in the 6K on the Stornello and 2K I've managed to put on the Convert.  Though I did find a sheetrock screw in the Stornello's rear tire last year. Extracted it and no loss of pressure. Likely it did not get to the tube.

For peace of mind, I put a bottle of that 'rideon' goo in each tube, and carry a stopngo plug kit with a compressor. Plugs will not help with tube type, but hope the rideon will slow the leak and if necessary air up to a safe level a few times to get to a shop or safe place/cell signal. Otherwise is it Haggerty Roadside. 

For tubeless, the stopngo rubber plugs are excellent for most punctures, and are permanent the life of the tire.  Only once did they not work, and that was due to a huge slit in a very worn  tire. I've never even attempted to remove or change a motorcycle tire/tube, especially on the side of the road. I am about to put new tires on both the Stornello (Shinko 705) and Convert (Pirelli Route 66) MAY do some experimenting, but need to invest in a set of spoons, etc.

As my grandfather would say "I'm not a finish carpenter"  things that require delicate actions are not generally my cupo-tea.....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:56:21 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 04:01:08 PM »
This...And if you're a thin guy on a 400 pound bike you can usually ride a reasonable distance...

I have always wondered while doing this, if I go real fast, does the tire grow centrifugally and actually develop a sidewall, you know like inflate?
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »
I've never had a patched tube hold - I don't think they can.

If the cement and the patch are proper (and fresh), the patch chemically vulcanizes to the tube. Even if you took a knife to the patch, the tube and patch are one and you can't peel it off. And of course, hot patches thermally vulcanize to the tube. You aren't getting one of those off. But I'm not sure you can even get those any more. A properly cemented patch is a permanent fix.

As I mentioned before, I have had bad patches (or cement). Those literally fell off of the tube after a few hours.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 02:53:45 PM »
I just learned about this stuff: 
https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tire-types/motorcycle-formula

Supposedly better than Slime as a tube sealant. 

Wildroamer

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 04:21:30 PM »
I use Ride-on in my V7III, and though I haven't had a flat, it absolutely does a fantastic job of balancing. I'm putting it in my tube tires on next bike too. Make sure you remember to use the heavy dosage for tubes and for balancing. I think it's like 20% more than the chart shows.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »
I use Ride-on in my V7III, and though I haven't had a flat, it absolutely does a fantastic job of balancing. I'm putting it in my tube tires on next bike too. Make sure you remember to use the heavy dosage for tubes and for balancing. I think it's like 20% more than the chart shows.

My Ride-on order is in the mail with enough to heavy dose both tubes. Will also get spare tubes to go with my decent tire irons, mini compressor, talc and zip ties. If it turns out to be an issue I'll see about sealing the wheels or look for a 2021 wheel set.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 02:37:40 AM »
My Ride-on order is in the mail with enough to heavy dose both tubes. Will also get spare tubes to go with my decent tire irons, mini compressor, talc and zip ties. If it turns out to be an issue I'll see about sealing the wheels or look for a 2021 wheel set.

Sealing is answer, I’m never going back, 10 sealed in last couple of years
Loads of roadside flats with tubes fixed roadside, only one tubeless so far but is no brainer to me

But don’t sweat it
Levers and one tube, same for either bike, skinny 17 (3.5 x 17) will do all 4 wheels
But do one practise tyre change if you never have, confidence is king

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 12:46:31 PM »
I've yet to try Ride-On, but the videos on their site seem pretty convincing.  I carry a mini-compressor and a one of the mushroom style tire plug kits when I ride farther than a day-ride.  From what I read, the Ride-On is water soluble and can be easily cleaned off the rim of a tubeless tire?   I know tire shops absolutely hate Slime and Fix-a-flat stuff.

Offline Paultergeist

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »
I am reading this thread with interest, as I realize that I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get either wheel off of this bike, let alone remove a tire from the wheel.  Come to think of it, I don't even know how I would go about trying to support the motorcycle so that I could even ATTEMPT to remove a wheel.  I have much to learn.

One question:  Are tubeLESS tires generally preferable to tires which require inner tubes?  If so, why is that?

Offline Paultergeist

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 01:37:18 PM »
Sarcasm received and duly-noted!   :grin:

I'm just going to go with: "Tubeless tires are better because that's what everybody else says."

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 02:01:27 PM »
https://youtu.be/Qm6fTWaj3QE
This just came up this morning. Fort9 good as usual
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 02:36:45 PM »
https://youtu.be/Qm6fTWaj3QE
This just came up this morning. Fort9 good as usual

Always worked well for me.
 :thumb:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 09:22:33 PM »
Same for me.  The rope kits can also work for car tires too.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »
Fort9 made a good case.   I have used both rope and Dyna Plug successfully on car tires.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline borderer

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »
 Trouble with slime or similar is that it can mask serious structural damage to the tire. Until it lets go of course!

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:59 AM »
I am reading this thread with interest, as I realize that I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get either wheel off of this bike, let alone remove a tire from the wheel.  Come to think of it, I don't even know how I would go about trying to support the motorcycle so that I could even ATTEMPT to remove a wheel.  I have much to learn.

One question:  Are tubeLESS tires generally preferable to tires which require inner tubes?  If so, why is that?

The direct answer is that tubeless rims allow you to use plugs. Many wire wheels require use of tubes which means pulling the wheel and tube to repair a flat.

I strongly recommend you learn how to and practice fixing a flat. My V7 only had a side stand so I carried a Snap-Jack to enable lifting the wheel off the ground. My new V85 will have a center stand which greatly simplifies things, especially as it has tube tires.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »
I highly recommend the "Ride -on" goop. I use it in almost everything,and it works! I have it in the e bicycles tires, with tubes,and it seals mesquite thorn punctures no problem, I also use it in my tubeless motorcycle tires, and have pulled a roofing nail from a tire, spun it,and it sealed right up. I have used it in a dirt bike also with innertubes, and have never gotten a flat. The deserts where I ride are not very tire friendly, but this stuff is up to the task.  :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here