Author Topic: Alright guys  (Read 5773 times)

oldbike54

Re: Alright guys
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »
 Actually I was still under the electric blanket when this all went down  :laugh:

Internet was down most of yesterday , when the alert came in my first thought was "really hope the internet is working this morning" .

OK , certainly we have sorted this out by now , everyone has moved on , right ? No hard feelings , all is forgiven ?

One last note on this , before you hit "post" , think about how the board will perceive what you are saying , take a moment , a beat , trust me on this , normally doing so will prevent misunderstandings , we are a diverse group with members all around the planet , even a couple of members in Japan , although they don't say much . Take just a second to consider how someone in Asia or Finland might "take" a comment , fair enough ?

Hell , for that matter think about how The Texas Turnip might feel about some comment from Washington State , and then think about having him approach you at a rally . Or his cousin Slicer  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2021, 03:51:30 PM »
Better that you aren't aware , right ?

The thing is , several folks were involved , all good board members , sending that many PM's is tedious , but it needed to be addressed .

Dusty

Yep I'm good with ignorance on this subject.  What ever it is <shrug>  :wink:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2021, 03:59:17 PM »
I have been in the situation here a few times where I have (on occasions), not known that I am inflaming a situation.
Sometimes Dusty is so good at pulling a damaging comment, it can be removed before you know it has been posted and so the member has no clue as to how much he is aggravating a deteriorating situation.
It happens with me a LOT..
I do know that when Dusty says..”Let me do my job..” It means he has his hands on the levers and get the .... back..!
It’s always what I need to hear to slam me back into a position of clearer perspective and I have been embarrassed a few times at my lack of perception.
The biggest problem I encounter is measuring my responses by the same ruler that would apply in Australia and thinking that it will work across the Pacific.
I’ve been warned a few times, but the Aussies I’ve spoken to or pm’d have not seen the issue.
The topic where the greatest gulf exists between Aussies and Americans here for me, can be differences of opinion on matters of taste.
I tend to forget that just because something has survived here for a time, it doesn’t mean that it isn’t under the magnifying glass in the land of the (now) free.
Dusty does not announce what he has done, to the rest of the world and that’s why I think I mistakenly feel that some injustice has gone unnoticed, when in reality he has crunched someone’s head.
Just like any good umpire...
You don’t really see him... :thumb:
It’s Luap that strikes fear into me, if he warns you...You’re rooted.. :weiner:

That's funny, Luap is a really nice guy. He just lives 50-60 miles from me. Back when Dusty used to call, we were talking about a certain "vocal" Aussie. (actually brit) I was pointing out how some get by with name calling and some don't. He said Aussies aren't jerkwads, it's just their "sense of humor" It's OK if HE talks smack, it's just funny when HE does it.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 04:23:06 PM »
That's funny, Luap is a really nice guy. He just lives 50-60 miles from me. Back when Dusty used to call, we were talking about a certain "vocal" Aussie. (actually brit) I was pointing out how some get by with name calling and some don't. He said Aussies aren't jerkwads, it's just their "sense of humor" It's OK if HE talks smack, it's just funny when HE does it.
Hmmm....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 04:23:06 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »
 Let's  hope the two dogs we brought in out of the worst of this and are now hanging out in our utility room don't chew the back door off  :grin:

Don't think either one has had much human contact , although they both seem to enjoy attention .

Dusty

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »
Thanks for doing what you do to keep this wonderful forum civil, simple rules, no politics, no religion.... sounds a bit like something A Mr Lennon said a long time ago.

On the surviving winter front we in the upper prairie of western Canada are in a deep freeze, windchills of -42C this morning and lows of -35 and colder for a week now, staying silly cold until next week. Thank god for block heaters and battery blankets or my truck would never start in this weather.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 10:05:05 PM »
Was it a hanging chad, or a dangling participle that created the offense? 
Or perhaps someone used the inappropriate tense and also wrote in the subjunctive instead of the indicative? 
Perhaps a verb was improperly conjugated and a noun derisively declined that threw things out of kilter?

Dusty...you've inadvertently started a rhyme there...Sheesh / Capeesh, hhmm where is the Hashish?

Pretty soon, it's going to be 10 degrees below zero Celsius and not a peep will be heard as the land turns into a frozen tundra...time to test those winter gloves now!!!

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
Let's  hope the two dogs we brought in out of the worst of this and are now hanging out in our utility room don't chew the back door off  :grin:

Don't think either one has had much human contact , although they both seem to enjoy attention .

Dusty

The dogs say thanks!

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:31 AM »
Now that’s a good start for the day for me👍

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 10:20:16 AM »
 These two are like wild animals who want to be petted , gonna be a long week or so until we start warming up .

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »
 One last comment on this .

The rules of WG are the rules , the mods don't play favorites although we do take into account a member's general pattern of behavior . Just like in real life , we all sometimes say the wrong thing , or are misunderstood , it happens , hell , a third of the messages I receive involve these incidents . Sometimes it is simply wise to not react , or at least not quickly . We don't miss much that is truly problematic , and on the rare occasion we do , a member will give us a heads up . Done properly , "Hey Dusty , you might want to take a look at something" is welcome input . We would like to think we are all friends here , because , well , many of us are friends , we rally together , do small meet ups , talk on the phone , this is a truly amazing community . Always good to remember that before getting too wound up , as my grandpa said , "Don't start a fight with your neighbor , you might need to borrow his mule someday" .

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2021, 11:15:34 AM »
These two are like wild animals who want to be petted , gonna be a long week or so until we start warming up .

Dusty

<grandson Max from Redondo Beach> "you were right, grandpa.. I'm needing a coat here in Iowa."  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2021, 11:17:40 AM »
<grandson Max from Redondo Beach> "you were right, grandpa.. I'm needing a coat here in Iowa."  :grin:

Uh , does he realize you aren't in Iowa ? :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2021, 06:34:40 PM »

Dusty

Oh, yeah. He has decided he wants to be a rocket scientist, and is in his freshman year at Iowa state.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
Oh, yeah. He has decided he wants to be a rocket scientist, and is in his freshman year at Iowa state.

That's reassuring , since he might be involved in a Mars shot .

"Hey Bob , was that Mars or Venus we were aiming at?"

Dusty

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2021, 11:12:33 PM »
One last comment on this .

The rules of WG are the rules , the mods don't play favorites although we do take into account a member's general pattern of behavior . Just like in real life , we all sometimes say the wrong thing , or are misunderstood , it happens , hell , a third of the messages I receive involve these incidents . Sometimes it is simply wise to not react , or at least not quickly . We don't miss much that is truly problematic , and on the rare occasion we do , a member will give us a heads up . Done properly , "Hey Dusty , you might want to take a look at something" is welcome input . We would like to think we are all friends here , because , well , many of us are friends , we rally together , do small meet ups , talk on the phone , this is a truly amazing community . Always good to remember that before getting too wound up , as my grandpa said , "Don't start a fight with your neighbor , you might need to borrow his mule someday" .

Dusty

I’d rather be wrenching than working, but my day job is litigating property fights.  I’ve always thought that good neighbors are better than a water view.  My neighbors on this forum certainly are.  I never really thought about moderators.  Thanks for watching over us. 
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2021, 05:34:35 AM »

Dusty

Looks like some serious weather you are all having back there.  Hope everybody can stay safe and warm.  Never quite computes out here when the difference is nearly 100 degrees between CA and the deep Midwest.

And slow down on those icy roads.  You folks are having more accidents than when we get a 1/4 inch of rain here in LA, and that is saying something. 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2021, 06:57:05 AM »
That's reassuring , since he might be involved in a Mars shot .

"Hey Bob , was that Mars or Venus we were aiming at?"

Dusty
Actually, it reminds me of Yuranus.... :popcorn:

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2021, 10:05:36 AM »
Right now -14 F with -28 windchill, But clear beautiful blue sky and warm sun. No chance for a ride today cus the roads are icy, but if my sidecar rig was running I’d be tempted, just to say I did it....Once. Foto might do it.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »
Here in central NC, 33 degrees and rainy....yuck!
Well, it gives me a little more time to work on that Bob Dillon song someone brought to the forum the other day. I about have it down pat with the three finger picking style. I’ll be picking it on the deck at the river for some of y’all this summer, hopefully 👍
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:05:59 PM by Ncdan »

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2021, 12:41:19 PM »
Here in central NC, 33 degrees and rainy....yuck!
Well, it gives me a little more time to work in that Bob Dillon song someone brought to the forum the other day. I about have it down pat with the three finger picking style. I’ll be picking it on the deck at the river for some of y’all this summer, hopefully 👍

I'll trade ya  :laugh:

Listen up fellas , whatever your political beliefs , you are entitled to them . However , with everyone on edge right now , once again , think before you post , it might seem innocent to you , but remember , we are an incredibly diverse group united by an interest in these weird Italian motorbikes . Seriously , some of you have an idea how hard we have been working to keep the "family" from fracturing , and for those of you who aren't aware , that has been the primary focus for almost a year now . Ask NCdan , or Rocker , or Huzo , it has become an almost full time job and even at that we don't always get it right . I am asking for some cooperation here , remember why we are here . Fair enough ?

Oh , if you don't believe I am standing in the gap , well , ask Rocker or Luap  :laugh:

I love you guys , all of you , rally season is not that far off , things are getting safer , let's get there together .

Dusty

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2021, 01:10:38 PM »
Humor on the internet is harder than regular printed humor. I’m not sure of why , maybe partly  because of the ability to instantly respond. There is more to it , any thoughts?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2021, 01:25:22 PM »
It looks like another week before we're out the deep freeze and might make 40 NEXT Friday.  Tuesday is projected to be minus 11.  I don't think I've ever been weather this cold.   4 below is coldest in memory.

So to protect my plumbing should I open a tap in the house?  If so which one makes the most sense? 

I've gotten the outside faucets upgraded that aren't supposed to freeze.  The hoses are removed.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2021, 01:49:16 PM »
It looks like another week before we're out the deep freeze and might make 40 NEXT Friday.  Tuesday is projected to be minus 11.  I don't think I've ever been weather this cold.   4 below is coldest in memory.

So to protect my plumbing should I open a tap in the house?  If so which one makes the most sense? 

I've gotten the outside faucets upgraded that aren't supposed to freeze.  The hoses are removed.

Probably a good idea to crack a faucet , but since you are on a slab only the main feed coming in is in any danger of freezing . It's the long period of cold that will be problematic , the ground is freezing down deeper than we have seen in many a year .

Our house is 3 blocks off the ground , we had a line coming to the kitchen that would freeze at 3 above or so because it was touching the foundation , Gonna place a small heater under the house just to protect the pipes at -7 and hope the electricity stays on . Fortunately our heater will run W/O electricity , as will the water heater and the cook stove .

Yes , I am stressing over this , this type of cold causes me physical pain now , the idea of needing to be outside when the wind chill is 35 below scares the poo out of me .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2021, 02:06:47 PM »
Humor on the internet is harder than regular printed humor. I’m not sure of why , maybe partly  because of the ability to instantly respond. There is more to it , any thoughts?
Yep..
My thought is that we convey our message through our words, facial expressions, tonal inflections, hand gestures, eye contact and a myriad of other techniques both conscious and sub conscious. On here you only have the text and with the exception of the dubious benefit of the emoji, often times one is committed to a one dimensional (and often way), form of communication.
In our everyday interactions, we get the chance more often than not, to correct a misunderstanding at the point of delivery and this can obviate the need for apology or retraction far down the track.
Now..
If written communication is not your first skill, you can inadvertently push the wrong button and draw a rebuke from your detractor, then you respond to the rebuke, which draws a more stinging rebuke in return...
Next thing you know..? Trouble.
I use quotation marks “***”  a lot.
To indicate that the chosen term is not necessarily my own.
Or multiple periods ....
To cajole the reader into a moment of pause for contemplation.
There are lots of others.
Of course there are readers out there that are just waiting for a conflicting viewpoint to be expressed, so they have an excuse to vent by a vomitorious display of vitriol. Some people are better than others at texturing their phrasing to accurately convey their meanings. This can reduce or increase the likelihood of conflict, depending on the author’s intentions.
As (predominantly) opinionated males, a pissing contest is never far away and our status in the pecking order here, CAN be determined by our degree of linguistic acumen.
One needs to be cautious...
For my part I am more likely to draw the sword in a war of words with a 250 lb, 6’4” irrational angry male (or female) here on the forum, than standing face to face on the edge of the Hoover Dam.
I’ve recently been scalded on the topic of alluding to a spelling inaccuracy by a high profile member that  I only pointed out due to the irony present, so as a comeback I occasionally insert an intentional one... :evil:
Face to face, it would have been the subject of a laugh.
I’ll bet no one can spot the one in this post.... :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:57:05 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2021, 02:13:42 PM »
Good humour involves comic timing.
Timing requires rhythm in conversation and to achieve that rhythm, requires a certain level in command of language.
This degree of command, varies across the human spectrum.
It’s harder to succeed digitally than vocally.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:48:57 PM by Huzo »

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2021, 02:21:13 PM »
However I’ve recently been scalded on the topic of eluding to a spelling inaccuraciy by a high profile member, that  I only pointed out due to the irony present so as a comeback, I occasionally insert an intentional one.
Face to face, it would have been the subject of a laugh.
I’ll bet no one can spot the one in this post.... :popcorn:

To say that one could "quote" this message and let spellcheck do it's thing would be accurate.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »

inaccuraciy

This spelling is inaccurate.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »
        inaccuraciy

This spelling is inaccurate.

Paul B :boozing:
Bugger...!
That one was not intentional.. :cry: :azn:
There’s another one there though that is.
Believe it or not when I went back to fix the word, the spell checker tried to enter it that way again on the first try.. :undecided:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:45:59 PM by Huzo »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2021, 02:57:17 PM »
My spelling and English/grammar is actually atrocious (got that word from an old Sgt of mine describing my spelling, during a raise evaluation) and I’m guilty of not proofreading my posts at times. I’ve been called out here a few times over the years and I can’t remember a time that I didn’t just choose to let it slide, for the sake of avoiding controversy here. However, every time it happens to me or anyone else, I can’t help to think “I hope you feel superior and a notch above the rest of us now”, really, think about it, what has been gained in the long run. We should all be Conscience of each other’s feelings here. Respect cost little but the pay out is enormous.
While I’m on a roll and bored out of my mind let me add this. If I have ever wronged anyone here in the past I ask for your forgiveness now and I promise to try to be more sensitive in the future 👍
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:59:05 PM by Ncdan »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here