Author Topic: NGC. Breaking in a new bike  (Read 673 times)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
NGC. Breaking in a new bike
« on: April 08, 2021, 01:57:30 PM »
Here's some shots of my new RE GT 650 in front of Bunny's Restaurant in Suffolk VA. This is where we held our monthly Guzzi breakfasts for almost 20 years. Unfortunately they had to shut down a couple years ago shortly before - became a thing. I miss meeting my friends there. Took a 40 mile meander on the new bike this afternoon to relive old memories. It was always a gorgeous ride to get out to this place. Now with all the development going on, there is a plethora of loaded dump trucks to watch out for! Not quite  the countryside it was a few years ago. Anyways, enjoying the heck out of the new RE. It runs like a dream. The bone spur in my knee limits me to about an hour on the bike. But in 6 weeks I get a new knee! Hoping when I recover from that I can sport tour this bike and go camping off it again. Hopefully the VA Guzzi Rally in June! This is my take on a modern Café racer. Extra wide touring seat and some luggage. This thing is a ball on back roads. Very light handling, great brakes and comfy suspension. Another 100 miles and I can do the break in maintenance!

yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Re: NGC. Breaking in a new bike
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:19:58 PM »
Glad you're enjoying the RE. I have a friend looking to get back into riding and I've recommended this bike based on feedback like yours. Are there any modifications or issues that someone would want to consider after purchase?
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
Congratulations sidecar. That is a nice bike! Just an aside about your new knee. It will be great to not have that pain. My grandfather and father both needed knee replacements. Both said that they wished they had done it sooner. Unfortunately dad didn’t take his post op meds like he should have and suffered a coronary embolism. Or whatever a blood clot blocking the heart is. So please follow the instructions from the doc!

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
Understood. I always follow docs orders. I'm no longer the tough young guy I used to be. ;-)

Physically, I probably would be been more comfortable on the INT model vice the GT. More upright position. Kinda like my old Mille' GT was years ago. But I am down to just taking hour long joy rides anymore. leaning into the wind at speed leaves me well balanced on the bike. Like body surfing the wind. No pressure on my wrists! I'm sure I could ride it pretty comfortably across the state for a rally and camping, I would just to stretch here and there. Red lights are good for that. Would have to stop every couple hours for gas regardless, so the bike has breaks built into it  that way. I used to tour my V11S years ago by taking back roads everywhere I went. Any interstate I took was just a short hop to get to the next back road. In that case, red lights and gas stops gave me the breaks my body needed. I'd go all day tank to tank like that and cover 500 miles.

I will be putting thicker softer grips on it soon for comfort. The stock grips are thin firm rubber with a fine diamond pattern for good grip. A classic sport bike grip, but my weak arthritic hands prefer a thicker gel grip like Pro makes. Those have been my favorite grips for 20 years now.
The stock seat was pretty good comfort wise. The aftermarket wider seat I have on it now is very good. Especially for the $120 I paid for it shipped from India. Other than that, it suits me really well. Like a smaller lighter version of my old Mille' GT I had in the 90's. A great sporty standard bike.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 09:49:01 PM »
RE: grips - you may want to try the Biltwell Renegade grips. I really like the rounded contour and I think they do a good job absorbing vibration. Not gel squishy but substantial vibe quelling material. Amazon caries a variety of colors and styles.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 05:50:53 PM »
Thanks. I'll look at those! Something a bit thicker than stock is just nicer to rest your palms on IMO.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here