Author Topic: steering dampner mounting bushings.  (Read 543 times)

Offline apex1397

• Hatchling
steering dampner mounting bushings.
« on: June 25, 2021, 07:55:06 PM »
Anyone know a source for the mounting bushings on the friction steering dampners used on EV's. Stock ones were rubber and are long gone.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: steering dampner mounting bushings.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 08:12:04 PM »
Seems like there is something similar on the wings of a Stelvio. Mine are still good on my EV, on my 2nd dampner.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »
Dont know much about the later friction dampers and their quality or lack thereof. IMO  lots of   Lispa and Sebac friction dampers used on Tontis  were crap from the gitgo with tons of lateral play in the shaft which could  only  quell any  unwanted  steering movement when the bike is already tank slapping, not on the onset, where it may make a difference.  That said there are  folks  on this board who think steering dampers are not required at all. No argument there. But, if you believe you need a steering damper, then a proper hydraulic unit (which uses heim /rose type joints at mounting points ) with no shaft slop should be considered. 
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 03:04:11 PM »
I had the same problem on my EV in that the friction damper was shot. I have about 4 brand new hydraulic dampers here but I could not figure a way to mount them on the tab that is mounted to the frame. I have a Matris that is 330mm which if I had the correct bracket to mount to the frame it might have worked but was just too close to the head fins when steering is fully left. I have 255mm's also but they were a problem because of the pesky bracket. So, I bit the bullet and bought Matris from Todd at Guzzitech. $450 smackeroos! But it fits and works great! But all I needed really was the bracket which is special and only for the EV. The friction dampers are very poor in contrast to the hydraulic ones. I have had dampers on all my bikes that could be fitted with one and especially on my sport bikes. Where they really shine is on patchy cement freeways with expansion joints and in corners where the pavement is really bad. They just reduce the headshake that some people don't find offensive but I do.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 03:04:11 PM »

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that you might try McMaster Carr for bushings and rubber.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here