Author Topic: Breva 1100 Inmmobiliser or Antenna problem DSB04  (Read 1155 times)

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
Breva 1100 Inmmobiliser or Antenna problem DSB04
« on: June 25, 2021, 08:41:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

I hope everybody is doing well

1 month ago I bought a Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 with 500 miles from a friend. With the 2 original keys (I think they are original). And the factory user code was 00000, I changed it to my own code without problem.

The motorcycle had the service light ON all the time and I decided to change the engine oil, transmission oil and gearbox oil. All good no problems.

Also I restarted the service in the menu. And it seemed all good for a couple of days

Every time I turn on the bike with either of the 2 keys, it almost always asks for the user code. If not, don't let me turn it on. Sometimes it wouldn't ask for the code, like 5% of the times

I found out, in online forums, that the bike is not supposed to ask for the code every time the motorcycle starts.

When the motorcycle asks for it, but still lets you start the motorcycle without the code, it is like a reminder to change the code (not my case)

The problems I have are the following:
I tried to register "new keys" to see if with that the motorcycle wouldn’t ask anymore for the code to start the bike .

After that the dashboard entered a state from which it does not exit
1- Moto Guzzi logo welcome
2- Insert 1st key
3- the screen turns off after 2-3 seconds
4- go back to step number 1

I think it could be 2 things
1- inmmobiliser (antenna) that does not recognize the key
2- dashboard

Before doing that I saw into Menu-errors
ECU- none
DSB-04 referring to the inmmobiliser

I already bought online on motorcyclesparepart s.eu a new antenna-inmmobiliser, but it comes from Europe, I don't know how long it will takes to arrive to Florida , USA. I've been reading on forums and they say that maybe it's the dashboard.

New battery 2-3 months and if I disconnect the plug behind the dashboard and motorcycle starts with no problem.

I am almost certain that the dashboard has some water inside because I have a stain in the center that does not allow me to read well. I haven’t opened the dashboard yet.

I have already cleaned with a contact cleaning spray almost all the plugs and assemblies including the main connector of the dashboard

Last question. Anyone know how to remove the inmmobilizer antenna step by step? I think there are 2 ways.
1- It has 2 Philips screws, the inmmobilizer part on the top (one is difficult to remove due to space)
2- disassembling the entire switch from below but it seems that it has a security screw. Is it necessary to break it with some dremel?

Thank you all very much for your time and possible help. Have a nice day everyone.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:42:35 PM by xavier849 »

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
Re: Breva 1100 Inmmobiliser or Antenna problem DSB04
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:09:31 PM »
Welcome to the group.

Your analysis of your situation seems very good. Your purchase of a new immobilizer should tell you where the problem is.

I'm very surprised at one thing. Would you confirm that you have unplugged the connector from the back of the dash and then were able to start the bike with the key?

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »
One more observation. Your symptom does not seem like the usual symptoms of water in the dash. Those are typically problems with the left turn signal, a blank display screen, or a complete dashboard failure,  as I recall. It seems more likely the antenna is to blame.
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 12:28:13 PM »
I just upload a video on YouTube showing the problem and how the bike start unplugging the dash main connector

I will bring my battery today to a parts store (Advance Auto parts) to check the load test on my battery

https://youtu.be/ib9c7eIjlIk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 12:28:13 PM »

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »
I just upload a video on YouTube showing the problem and how the bike start unplugging the dash main connector

I will bring my battery today to a parts store (Advance Auto parts) to check the load test on my battery

The ability to start without the dash connected is a revelation!

But, on your first attempt, with the dash still connected, you seem to be ignoring the instruction to "insert the first key"! (That is, the instruction as Guzzi intended it to be understood.) When you get that message you are supposed to remove the key that you have used to get to the menu, and insert the first key that you want to be memorized by the system. I didn't see you doing that. Could your problem be that simple?

I'll go out and reread the manual and ponder your situation. But what about that insertion of "the first key" to be memorized -- have you done that earlier?

Moto

P.S. The no-dash start up may be a godsend for thieves and also for the odd owner who would like to substitute some other type of dash (usually a more traditional one). Of course, it is possible that the reason yours starts up that way is that it is malfunctioning. Still, very surprising. (By the way, your Breva 1100 dash is essentially the same as the Griso dashes, of which I have one, so far as I can tell. It has a few more baubles.)

EDIT -- I am not so sure about my advice about "the first key," after rereading the owner's manual. You might try inserting the other key at that point if you can, however. It does seem now like your dash is in some state that is not in the manual.

EDIT # 2: For any who want to substitute another dash, I should mention here that there is also the problem of substituting for the air pressure sensor that the dash contains and that is used by the ECU to modify the fuel mixture. This problem is probably not insurmountable, but so far as I can tell, has never been surmounted. This has been discussed thoroughly in the past.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:14:18 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »
Instead of continuing to edit my last post, let me suggest another possible "cure," which is to disconnect both terminals of the main battery and let the motorcycle sit overnight before trying again. This has worked for me on my single (partial) dash failure (before I fixed up my dash's moisture problem). It has been attested as working by other level-headed owners. Some theorize about a capacitance in the system that gets discharged. It seems more like magical thinking to me, though I have had it work, apparently.

You might try the overnight disconnection even though your particular problem seems to be new.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:24:59 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 05:17:50 PM »
Instead of continuing to edit my last post, let me suggest another possible "cure," which is to disconnect both terminals of the main battery and let the motorcycle sit overnight before trying again. This has worked for me on my single (partial) dash failure (before I fixed up my dash's moisture problem). It has been attested as working by other level-headed owners. Some theorize about a capacitance in the system that gets discharged. It seems more like magical thinking to me, though I have had it work, apparently.

You might try the overnight disconnection even though your particular problem seems to be new.

Thank for all your time MOTO.

I already tried to use both keys but nothing happens. Also I tried to press and hold ALL the buttons for several seconds and still the same.

I also tried to leave the motorcycle all the night more than 12h with the battery disconnect.
Also I tried the same thing last night but with the key inserted and with the ignition switch ON to try to reboot or discharge the capacitors and reboot the dashboard, but still the same.

I already saw this possible solution on other posts 🙁

Today I bring the battery to 3 different auto shop to the check it
1st place said the the battery is dying
2nd place said the battery is good. Maybe just need some charge
3rd place said that the battery is good but maybe need charge, it shows on the machine 12.2v and the guy told me that it should be on 12.9v. So I left the battery charging for about 4hours

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
Do anyone knows if is possible to reboot the dashboard, so I can skip the message that ask for insert the 1st key and star over? 

As I said before, I tried to leave the motorcycle all the night more than 12h with the battery disconnect.
Also I tried the same thing last night but with the key inserted and with the ignition switch ON to try to reboot or discharge the capacitors and reboot the dashboard, but still the same.

Offline Mackers

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Five miles or 1000ft...how hard can it be?
    • Motoguzzimackers Moto Guzzi Diaries
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 05:39:33 PM »
My memory of reprograming my key is that when prompted to insert the key, you're required to turn it ON so that it can do its magic, not simply insert the key.
Raymond Massey:  "No doctor, I think this calls for something special. 
                  I think, perhaps, the Melbourne Method!".

Peter Lorre:  "Not the Melbourne Method!!  Please!!"

- Arsenic and Old Lace, 1944.

('06 Breva 1100 and '02 Cali EV - '01 Metal Stone deceased).

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 06:19:33 PM »
My memory of reprograming my key is that when prompted to insert the key, you're required to turn it ON so that it can do its magic, not simply insert the key.

This message to Insert the 1st key only happens when the switch is on the ON position. Same message with the 2 keys

There is a link with a video that I recorded this morning

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 06:21:12 PM »
I also noticed today when I unplugged the main connector on the dashboard board and plug it back. And also when I unplugged both terminals on the battery and plug it back.

This message in the dashboard “APSN 0002”

I don’t know if it is normal or if it is related with the problem that I have

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »
Another thing to try is to touch the tw3 battery cables together for a few seconds aftbeing disconnected.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 08:38:55 PM »
Another thing to try is to touch the tw3 battery cables together for a few seconds aftbeing disconnected.
kk

I will try this tomorrow and I will let you know if it works  ! Thanks 👍

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 12:26:51 AM »
Have a close look at the plug from the loom itself. 
My B1100 went stupid requiring a ride home on the trailer for an alleged antenna fault. 
Turned out that the piece of metal in the plug that kept things tight had broken off so no connection to the antenna  hence no start
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »
I agree. I saw a guy last summer who had a Chevy PU that started then stalled. Then it wouldn't restart. He took the battery cables off and touched them together for a few seconds. It fired right up afterwards. I agree,  I would zip them together for an extended period of time. Overnight would be good.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »
Have a close look at the plug from the loom itself. 
My B1100 went stupid requiring a ride home on the trailer for an alleged antenna fault. 
Turned out that the piece of metal in the plug that kept things tight had broken off so no connection to the antenna  hence no start

Hey Tris!

I already clean all connectors (main dashboard plus, and antenna connector) cleaned with a metal brush and a spray for clean electronics

I’m pretty sure there is good contact with the antenna because if I disconnect the antenna, the dashboard stays on the step number 2 (2- Insert 1st key) and it doesn’t turn off or reboot.

Thank you!

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »

For that to be successful, you also need to have the ignition turned to the on position. The idea is to bleed of any capacitors that might be holding power. I have heard that you should do that for a half hour or more. If it were me, I would do it and leave it overnight.

John Henry

This afternoon I try it for about 5 min and nothing happens. So I just left both terminals + and - together (battery disconnected) with key on the ON position. Let’s see what happens tomorrow. I will keep update you guys!

Thank you everybody!

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 08:31:56 PM »
I agree. I saw a guy last summer who had a Chevy PU that started then stalled. Then it wouldn't restart. He took the battery cables off and touched them together for a few seconds. It fired right up afterwards. I agree,  I would zip them together for an extended period of time. Overnight would be good.
kk

I will let you know tomorrow what happens. I left the bike as you said

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 12:37:09 AM »

This message in the dashboard “APSN 0002” ......

My B11 dash always did that when I powered it up after being disconnected.  I guess initial boot code or something

Also have you checked for continuity from the antenna plug to the appropriate pin on the dash plug.

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline xavier849

• New Egg
  • Breva 1100
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

After 26 hours since I disconnected the battery and left both terminals +- together with a pliers, I didn’t see any difference, so it didn’t work.

Also I tried to jump the motorcycle with my car battery and I didn’t notice any difference, everything looks the same.

I’m pretty sure that the battery is good because if I disconnect the main connector behind the dashboard the bike starts right away without any problem.

I think my only hope at this point is to wait for the new inmmobiliser (antenna) and see if it can read the key. this is very frustrating

Hopefully the inmmobiliser will arrive this week

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here