Author Topic: Tightening wheel axles - pinch bolt first or after?  (Read 1998 times)

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Tightening wheel axles - pinch bolt first or after?
« on: June 29, 2021, 08:17:57 AM »
When I tighten up my rear axle nut, I hold a wrench on each side--my AC Delco digital torque adaptor or click-style wrench on the rod side and a normal wrench on the nut side, often requiring the use of an extension to the handle for the 75+ Nm of torque required. Once or twice I’ve secured the axle pinch bolt first, and then torqued the nut. Is this OK, or should I stick with straddling the wheel/swingarm? Straddling the wheel with wrenches on both sides can be cumbersome due to the extensions and adapters. The only thing I can think of with the pinch bolts in use is making sure the axle seated all the way up against the swingarm.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:43:03 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tightening wheel axles - pinch bolt first or after?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 10:25:48 AM »
IMHO, you should leave the pinch bolt loose when you tighten the axle. This allows it to pull itself in to the wheel. If you tighten the pinch bolt, you would likely pull the swing arm in.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 10:34:36 AM »
IMHO, you should leave the pinch bolt loose when you tighten the axle. This allows it to pull itself in to the wheel. If you tighten the pinch bolt, you would likely pull the swing arm in.

Tom

Solid point. I may need to figure out a better method to do such, because my socket wrench in the field is a 3/8” and the digital torque adaptor is 1/2”, requiring some upsizing and downsizing adaptors. Maybe there’s an opportunity on either side for a bumper stop to allow both arms to focus on just one side.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 10:02:38 PM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
If the pinch bolt is done up first then to get the axel nut so it takes the clearance out of the bearings the swing arm has to bend. If the drive was loosened, the axel and pinch is tightened before the four nuts . Same deal on the front for the pinch . A caution on the front is that the lower leg around the pinch will crack on the side of the large end of the axel if it is drawn up too tightly. That is one place a torque wrench will you on trouble , snug is all you want there.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 11:56:03 AM »
I agree that the pinch bolts should be tightened last.  Also, a word of caution:  The double pinch bolts at the front wheel should be tightened and LOOSENED evenly, or the fork end could break.  To loosen them, I go a half turn at a time, alternating between the bolts.  For tightening, I use a torque wrench and start at a low torque, alternating, and up the torque setting to the final value in a few steps, while still alternating.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 11:56:37 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 12:11:24 PM »
Excellent advice here, especially about tightening the double pinch bolts.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »
75+ Newton meters is more than needed to properly stack the bearings and retain the wheel. 25 ft/lb will do the job well and allow disassembly on the roadside with wrenches in the tool kit.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
75+ Newton meters is more than needed to properly stack the bearings and retain the wheel. 25 ft/lb will do the job well and allow disassembly on the roadside with wrenches in the tool kit.

I said 75+ Nm, not remembering what the actual torque spec was. Just checked—it’s 100 Nm for the rear wheel axle, or about 73 lb ft. (120 Nm for earlier models).

I appreciate the vote of relaxed assurance, but beyond just getting the bike temporarily down the road, I’ll personally try to reach that 100 Nm spec.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 12:44:38 AM »
I wanted to add this.

I have used the pinch bolt to help me get things snug. Released pinch bolt, tapped/wiggled/looked at marks where the swing arm sits to make sure it was not bound up. Then due to the axle friction, just tightened the axle nut to very tight. Then tightened the pinch bolt.

This is just a guess. Let's say you have the axle nut tight to very tight and all slack in the bearing/wheel assy.  has been taken up....... Then....I would "think" you could use the pinch bolt to hold the axle and "torque" the nut?????????? Again.....just a thought???

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 06:55:55 AM »
On the rear, leave the four nuts holding the rear drive on, loose until the end. When you torque the axel nut your seating the rear drive correctly to the wheel, with the bearing compressed correctly

Those four nuts on the drive close the “square” of the swingarm (looking from above) with the least possible movement.

If you tighten the rear drive onto the swingarm first you can get it rotated slightly off

Those four nuts are tightened last.

This also suggests that when removing or replacing the rear wheel it’s easier to pull off the rear wheel with the rear drive attached. Pull off the right muffler and pull it out altogether after yanking the axel

Hat tip dr dave, guzziology I believe
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 07:38:17 PM »
 AXLE , come on guys , it's only 4 letters  :violent1: . Peter

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here