Author Topic: First guzzi parts order( no bueno!)  (Read 1902 times)

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
First guzzi parts order( no bueno!)
« on: June 30, 2021, 12:49:34 AM »
My First parts order from Harpers and this is what I got:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kg3mWH2TUe3iAozQ8

I hope that this is not typical quality of moto guzzi replacement parts! All this is is a rough casting, no footpeg holes drilled, un-burnished leftover sharp slag, cloged bolt holes and no polish. Going to return it. Anyone else have similar experience? I don't blame Harpers this is a factory defect.
In pic you can just make out the crack in rear of mount where the chrome luggage guard mounts.
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
Re: First guzzi parts order( no bueno!)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 01:41:35 AM »
My biker babe wannabe!

I realize I have as yet not posted any pics of the cal-vin, bear with as I experiment with posting pics!
Believe or not she has never ridden a bike till now!
2007 california vintage

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 04:04:09 AM »
My First parts order from Harpers and this is what I got:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kg3mWH2TUe3iAozQ8

I hope that this is not typical quality of moto guzzi replacement parts! All this is is a rough casting, no footpeg holes drilled, un-burnished leftover sharp slag, cloged bolt holes and no polish. Going to return it. Anyone else have similar experience? I don't blame Harpers this is a factory defect.
In pic you can just make out the crack in rear of mount where the chrome luggage guard mounts.

looks like something went wrong at the factory, i would not hesitate to send it back.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 04:29:27 AM »
Have you called Harpers to address the problem with them before basting it out on there on the internet?

Get used to being underwhelmed on parts. parts availability or lead times. Actually Harpers and MG Cycles are some of your better bets in both parts and customer service. Welcome to Moto Guzzi ain't it fun!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:32:22 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 04:29:27 AM »

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 04:47:41 AM »
No blame placed on Harper's, as aklawok stated in the post.  Sure wish that had worked out, I figure Nome doesn't have an extended riding season.  Any chance of finding a good part used?  Pinwall is usually parting out a bike or two, and it's pretty busy over in Facebook's Moto Guzzi Classified's Group.  Good luck!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 04:54:49 AM »
Obviously poor quality control/inspection on the part of the vendor.  Never should have made it to the shipping department.

Some Italian OEM's are not known for exceptional quality.  Aprilia has similar problems.

as others have noted, Harper's is one of the best dealers one will ever find.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 05:14:05 AM »
 The good news is that this bike is built like a tank and the crack in the foot peg mount seems to be superficial as it only affects the luggage guard mount and not anything else, so....all i need is patience. and a nickels worth of twenty dollar bills.
2007 california vintage

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 06:53:36 AM »
The good news is that this bike is built like a tank and the crack in the foot peg mount seems to be superficial as it only affects the luggage guard mount and not anything else, so....all i need is patience. and a nickels worth of twenty dollar bills.

Any good aluminum welders in your AO?
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline nbags

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 07:36:37 AM »
some times quality of part is not what should be , but is that or nothing .I have order parts and they will work but look like poop and I have also order parts and they are lower quality and poor performing . It's something you have get use to if you can get factory get them ,pay for them and you are going to be happier with I think . Just my opinion

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 08:33:39 AM »
I may have an original pair of those in good used condition, if you're interested.
Charlie

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 10:00:46 AM »
off the phone with harpers (6:55am AKST) just now and found that the other 2 of these he had in stock were of similar condition looks like luigi had an extra long lunch break that day. part is still available in the US and they will order them, returning the bad one for credit. also have head gaskets on back order so-uns i can do a valve adjust. just need patience and one more nickel! lol!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:15:11 AM by aklawok »
2007 california vintage

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 12:37:20 PM »
There's Old Charlie to the rescue. We use OEM parts and they are on a temporary back order. Don't worry, we'll get him taken care of.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
To make matters worse is all the - related supply issues.  I needed some M8 x 20mm bolts.  Went to two ACE stores and found one in black oxide and the other in stainless.  You know it's bad when you see the food isles with empty shelves and you can't find common bolts.

I wouldn't look for it get better in another year or so.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 10:07:16 PM »
I have a single if someone is in need, - I'll never use it  -

left side
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:08:37 PM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 01:07:10 AM »
(dito) valve cover gaskets. i can wait for the new parts, thanks for the generous offers! BTW can anyone recommend any other common wear parts i should be looking for? already have filters, pan gasket, strainer,inner tubes and 35w lightbulbs. I have not taken the tank off yet but PO say filter and hoses were done some time ago. will worry about ECU and TPS set over winter after I find out more about previous maintenance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:08:22 AM by aklawok »
2007 california vintage

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 07:44:42 AM »
BTW can anyone recommend any other common wear parts i should be looking for?

Congrats on the new bike, I think you'll grow to love the Tonti frame/engine/drivetrain.  :thumb:

With a short riding season and rougher roads, as a fellow Cal Vin owner, I can foresee that your biggest challenge will be heading off vibration induced problems, med strength loc tite, could be your new best friend,lol,  just be careful with it around the plastic.

Everyone is different in what makes their heart go pitter patter, but you may want to search out the excellent, lengthy post, by ex? racer Mike Tiberio, as he methodically went through his new to him Cal Vin, and removed a ton of crap, chrome and weight, so the stripped down bike, better suited his needs.

Volpini sp? wire reinforced valve cover gaskets will eliminate that potential problem.

Get yourself a hose clamp for whenever you drop the pan to change the oil filter (plenty of info here re that)

Set yourself up with a Lonelec cable, Casper breakout cable and a homemade manometer, so you're prepared in the winter to do a good basic tune up.

Take a real close look at the taillight assembly on your bike, to see what you actually have and then compare it with many of the photos to be found on here.

The oem taillight support bracket is very weak, if you've done 60 miles of rough gravel and it hasn't broken yet, you may have a new improved oem bracket, but it's still a potential problem. I zip tied a small piece of heater hose as a support under my taillight and to help quell the vibes.

Many Cal Vin owners have made up strong taillight support brackets with light steel angle iron, there's a ton of info on here, with a variety of fixes,fwiw.

Keep a close eye on the saddle bag lock mechanisms; iirc a few years back a small screw disappeared from the area of one of the lock cylinders and it was a pita to get the bag opened up and a bodge repair done.

I regret not doing a tubeless tire conversion on my last tire change on my Cal Vin, I "think" tubeless radial tires are known for a softer initial road feel, that might be worth considering at some point if you're riding on rough gravel all the time.

It may not look it, but the keys for your bike are "chipped" keys, keep good track of your spares, replacement is not just a simple jaunt down to the hardware store to get a new key cut.

Wishing you many safe miles on your new ride  :bike-037:

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »
all very good information thanks! was not aware of the hose clamp trick or breakout cable, will get there when i decide on going down the guzidiag rabbit hole, thanx.
BTW, my current concern is top end noise. how much is too much? is it just that i am used to OHC jap bikes or am i hearing things? i knew to expect some lifter noise from the v-twin.
2007 california vintage

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 10:57:19 AM »
all very good information thanks! was not aware of the hose clamp trick or breakout cable, will get there when i decide on going down the guzidiag rabbit hole, thanx.
BTW, my current concern is top end noise. how much is too much? is it just that i am used to OHC jap bikes or am i hearing things? i knew to expect some lifter noise from the v-twin.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you will either get use to the noise or you should just move back to a Honda,etc. Ear plugs might help but there is still a lot of racket from that engine; most of us don't notice it but coming from a quiet engined bike it must sound really loud. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but you will either get use to the noise or you should just move back to a Honda,etc. Ear plugs might help but there is still a lot of racket from that engine; most of us don't notice it but coming from a quiet engined bike it must sound really loud.

Isn't engine noise one of the reasons the Big Blocks aren't still in production?
1990 MilleGT

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »
Isn't engine noise one of the reasons the Big Blocks aren't still in production?

I'm sure there is a noise factor but emissions seems to be the major issue for the big block MG's.

"How does Euro 4 differ from Euro 5?

Emissions standards are stricter across the board under Euro 5, with lower limits for carbon monoxide, unburnt hydrocarbons, and oxides of nitrogen (NOx).

Euro 5 also introduces a new standard measuring hydrocarbons excluding methane. Under the new rules, motorcycles must produce no more than 0.1 g/km of hydrocarbons, with non-methane hydrocarbons (NMHC) representing less than 68% of that amount. This may prove to be one of the bigger hurdles for manufacturers, as a significant amount of hydrocarbon emissions is not methane.

Carbon
Monoxide   Hydrocarbons   Non-Methane
Hydrocarbons   NOx   Durability
Euro 4   1.14 g/km   0.170 g/km   N/A   0.090 g/km   20,000 km
Euro 5   1.00 g/km   0.100 g/km   0.068 g/km   0.060 g/km   Vehicle Life
Euro 5 also introduced a new standard for particulate matter emissions, but it only applies to diesel engines. Barring a sudden shift towards diesel, that doesn’t matter much for our purposes."
https://www.motorcycle.com/features/what-you-need-to-know-about-euro-5-emission-standards-for-motorcycles.html
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 02:16:41 PM »

Everyone is different in what makes their heart go pitter patter, but you may want to search out the excellent, lengthy post, by ex? racer Mike Tiberio, as he methodically went through his new to him Cal Vin, and removed a ton of crap, chrome and weight, so the stripped down bike, better suited his needs.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75122.0
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 02:36:15 PM »
^^^^^Mike, tks very much for posting that link in case the op wants to read it; every time I work on my CalVin and a simple easy job becomes a pita because of extra covers or bling, I think you had the right idea^^^^

Noisy valves are supposed to be happy, but with a "new to me bike" with an unknown or questionable service history, I'd be checking the valve clearances asap; they are so easy to check on a guzzi, I'd plan on it sooner rather than later.

Dropping a tight valve in your new bike way up there, wouldn't be fun.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:18:38 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 03:59:37 PM »
Are they exactly the same pattern ?
The new one looks a bit different..

The cutaway at the back is different, front foot peg mounts are on a different angle and isn’t there a bracket missing...?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 04:01:54 PM by Huzo »

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2021, 02:33:30 AM »
Are they exactly the same pattern ?
The new one looks a bit different..

The cutaway at the back is different, front foot peg mounts are on a different angle and isn’t there a bracket missing...?
both parts are identical, the way it sits in the picture stacked makes it look more angled. the missing tab at the top is just  hidden.
valve adj. is no prob, just waiting for the (backordered) gaskets. the depth of the valve noise doesn't come through the puter' like it does in stereophonic in the saddle sound!
2007 california vintage

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2021, 05:19:20 AM »
both parts are identical, the way it sits in the picture stacked makes it look more angled. the missing tab at the top is just  hidden.
valve adj. is no prob, just waiting for the (backordered) gaskets. the depth of the valve noise doesn't come through the puter' like it does in stereophonic in the saddle sound!
Ok, that’s good.

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 10:50:06 AM »
Just following up on this. I dealt with Piaggio on this to get the proper part for this gentleman. Problem solved. So maybe now you might say First parts order from Harper (Muy Bueno!)

download instagram photo downloader
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 02:46:47 PM »
 :thumb:

Thanks for posting
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 03:05:00 PM »
I knew you'ld be all over that Curt!  :thumb:  good man!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 12:56:21 PM »
Just following up on this. I dealt with Piaggio on this to get the proper part for this gentleman. Problem solved. So maybe now you might say First parts order from Harper (Muy Bueno!)

download instagram photo downloader

Nice to hear! Ah degah deguu! as they say in Inupiaq! Was gonna give u a call Monday and check on it! Be assured I will be ordering more stuff from you in the future.
2007 california vintage

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here