Author Topic: V85TT Heat shields issue  (Read 637 times)

Offline Scottyuk

• New Egg
V85TT Heat shields issue
« on: July 26, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »
Hi all,
        Two things:-

1. Has anybody experienced an issue with the heat shields on the V85tt ? Both of mine became loose and on inspection it became clear the holes for the retaining nuts had become enlarged and  completely misshapen. This was most evident on the front holes which don't come with the anti vibration wire mesh washers used on the back fastners.  I don't know if this was an excess heat issue or vibration. My bike is under 12 months old and at the time I had around 4500 miles on the clock. Guzzi have replaced the shields under warranty, so no issue there.

2. Does anyone (UK base preferably) know where to buy the anti vibration wire mesh washers/spacers that are used on two of the four fixing points for the shields? Id like to buy some spare and fit them the front fixing points and probably replace them fairly regularly.

Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Offline aproud1

• Hatchling
Re: V85TT Heat shields issue
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:33:38 PM »
I haven't experience any issues with the heat shield but that is probably because my dealer changed to different bolts when setting up my 85. He said the stock bolts tend to be an issue for whatever reason.

Can't help finding your part across the pond there but I think you are looking for Part Number 876879

In The Car Hole: ‘81 CB650C Basket Case Rehab Bike

The Past: ‘76 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘06 Kawasaki VN750 (pita), ‘18 V7III Milano, '20 V85TT McD, ‘21 Kawasaki W800 (totaled by a drunk dude one fateful morning)

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:02:19 PM »
on one of the heat shields, the lower bolt backed out and was lost.  replaced, then the metal around the bolt fatigued and filed, so my solution was a large washer, holds it on so far.
Blue Guzz

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:12 PM »
Do a search for SCHNORR® safety washers.  They secure the screws, which would otherwise fall out due to vibration.

Locktite is not an option because of the heat involved.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:12 PM »

Offline Moto Vita

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 04:01:13 PM »
I haven't experience any issues with the heat shield but that is probably because my dealer changed to different bolts when setting up my 85. He said the stock bolts tend to be an issue for whatever reason.

Can't help finding your part across the pond there but I think you are looking for Part Number 876879

What type of bolts did your dealer use? The stock ones use a 4mm hex bit and are easily stripped out.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 04:46:32 PM »
It's happened to several of us. But they aren't elongated they are stress cracked from cheap metal. The front holes, closest to the front tire are what cracked out on mine. They are the ones that should have the wire heat spacer washer. Not the rear. You can see the shoulder for it cut out on the boss. The bolts are softer than cheese. Go get 4 new slightly longer ones from the hardware store and 8 fender washers for inside and outside.  Install with some blue locktite. I did do the wire washers on all four of mine also.

HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »
MyTech makes a much more robust option for the heat shield.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 04:38:46 PM »
That's what I'll most likely get if mine fail again, but in the pics they appear a bit ugly.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »
vagrant:  mine did exactly that.
Blue Guzz

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here