Author Topic: Wild hair in an old man, Guzzi at the Cannonball  (Read 742 times)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Wild hair in an old man, Guzzi at the Cannonball
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:10:21 PM »
I've been looking at another adventure and was thinking.  Moto Guzzi needs to be represented at the Motorcycle Cannonball Run:

The Motorcycle Cannonball is the most difficult antique endurance run in the world. That is an undisputed fact. And as proud as we are to say that, it must also be said that when the first run was being mapped out in 2009, that wasn’t part of the grand scheme of things. .....In September of 2010, Lonnie gathered together a group of riders who shared his motorcycling passion. Along the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, 45 like-minded riders left the historically celebrated city of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina for a transcontinental journey to the shores of the Pacific Ocean. What played out along the miles of these great United States changed the sport of motorcycling forever.

https://motorcyclecannonball.com/

2020 MOTORCYCLE REQUIREMENTS         Motorcycle entries must have been manufactured in 1929 or earlier. Generally, any motorcycle manufactured in 1929 or earlier as originally manufactured and/or modified in its year of manufacture is eligible for entry.
Motorcycles must be and appear original in nature, period correct modifications and customizations are ok; No modern replica machines are allowed!!
Engine Cases and Transmission Cases must be original
Period correct Transmissions only: No late model 4 speed transmissions
Period Correct carburetors: Linkert, Schebler,etc; No late model carbs allowed (S&S, Mikuni, etc)
Maintian speeds of 45 mph

Now I know it's going to take me a few years to get ready and so I was thinking of a 1938 Moto Guzzi Astore 500 imported form Italy:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/313206581585?hash=item48ec912951:g:jegAAOSw7OZfUgHm

With the 90 year rule I couldn't run this bike until 2028 which should give me enough time for preparation.  I'll only be 74 then

I'm a "Gardener Volunteer" at the local Murer House (Italian) and my wife is going to Italy in a couple of months so the first part of the adventure would be to go to Italy, secure a respectable 500 cc bike and import it to the US west coast.

My first question for the board is;  Has anyone imported an Antique Guzzi from Italy? 

I see some information on the internet but it would be good to get input from someone who's actually done it.

I'm still in the planning and being crazy stage so who knows if it will actually happen ---- But it would be an Adventure (with motel accommodations, hot food and not carrying full camping gear)

Mark

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

elvisboy77

Re: Wild hair in an old man, Guzzi at the Cannonball
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 07:33:00 PM »
What a great idea.  Please let us know how it goes.

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »
Love it!  Maybe I will do it with you, although my bike qualifies 3 years sooner.

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 08:05:48 PM »
What a beautiful bike!. You have my support. I am available as a rider... :bike-037:
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 08:05:48 PM »

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 09:20:33 PM »
Do it!   :evil:

It is a great looking bike, but not an Astore.  Astores were 1947-49(?) full suspension bikes with aluminum head and cylinder and enclosed valves.
The bike being sold is a rigid frame, cast iron engine, OHV exposed valve model usually called a V or V500.  Looking at the frame and engine numbers, it will probably qualify in 1935 or '36.  It has the very difficult to find twin port head - see the 2 exhaust pipes on the single cylinder engine!

FYI: Guzzi sold three versions of the 500cc engine 1934-1940, an older designed F-head called the S (sport), this OHV engine called the V (valvole), and a high compression OHV engine that looks identical to the V called a W (why?).  They also made 2 frames, this rigid was the default frame, but the spring frame was the GT.  So GTV was the spring frame with the OHV engine, GTW was the high compression version, GTS was the F-head engine in the spring frame.  Rigid frame models were called simply V, W and S. 

It looks fairly correct too with the dark paint on the tank and the wheel rims.  The oil tank should probably be burgundy, the fuel taps, taillight and horn/headlight control look too modern.  And the pillion pad without foot rests is silly (and would probably crank the rear fender).

I like it!

Dave, that is a great looking GTS!
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 05:24:00 AM »
I’d support this enterprise.

Shirts, hats, swag..

Direct contribution

Start a go fund me?

Isn’t there a Guzzi that would qualify?
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here